Are the .338s becoming pointless?

I'm shooting these tonight in my 300 RUM to see which one group the best & gonna save one fo da moose, hoping the 300 RUM is enough gun
4228D8D0-C22E-47B8-AB0E-E4D9CA08909B.jpeg
26EAEEF6-0D01-4690-998E-3F2EF333768E.jpeg
FC394475-FF0A-4EEC-94A7-F1742FC47D9D.jpeg

Not looking to offend or claim they're not effective, BUT...it used to be that the .338 lapua was regarded as in a league apart compared to .300 and 7mms because of the bcs on the 338 bullets. Now this is definitely a thing of the past, with high .7 and even .8 range g1 bc 7mm and .308" bullets that can be driven faster all things equal For true extreme range the big .375s are dominant. For tactical purposes all of the above are way more than adequate antipersonell rounds, body armour or not. None of the above are truly suitable anti material caliber. The way it seems now is that the .33s don't have an advantage over the 7 and 30 trajectory wise and can't match the 375s out of similar size rifles. Nothing wrong with .338 cartridges but not a whole lot I see that would make me choose one with things as they are now. Show me if I'm wrong!
Variety is the spice of life. Don't discount all the options available to other shooters based on your preferences. I for one loved my .338 however I found it somewhat punishing so settled on a .300 magnum which I can shoot enjoyably.
All the big guns are fun to shoot however pick one you shoot well.

My son just called me on his satellite phone. His hunting partner had just shot a bull moose at 330 yds on the front shoulder - quartering to shot profile - with a 180gr Rem Core Lock 300 Win Mag. Bullet failed to penetrate into the chest cavity. Son anchored the bull on the run after the first weakling bullet failed to penetrate.

A 250-300gr .338 would have anchored that bull with the first shot. .338s are only pointless for dispatching itty bitty large game animals. Big animals - big bullets.
Twell.
The moose has pretty big bones to be targeting the shoulder. Better shot placement would help. My experience with many long range kills says lung shots are quick and deadly. How far can you go with both lungs punctured? That being said I think given the area hit even a 338 would have required a follow up shot to quickly end the chase.

the 30 and 7mm even the 6.5s have all had pretty big advancement in bullet designs in the last couple years that and the trend to use smaller and smaller calibers in competition have led people in that direction. we are still shooting the same 338 bullets we were 10-15 yrs ago, same weights and bc with very little advancement.
I will always take a 338 with lower bc for long range or large/dangerous game. they just kill better
Where are you hiding?😂 You gotta get out of the house.....lots of .338 choices with very high B.C. today!

Twell.
The moose has pretty big bones to be targeting the shoulder. Better shot placement would help. My experience with many long range kills says lung shots are quick and deadly. How far can you go with both lungs punctured? That being said I think given the area hit even a 338 would have required a follow up shot to quickly end the chase.
The 300WM bullet never hit any shoulder/leg bone, yet still failed to enter the rib cage. The bull was running with 4 intact legs when it was dumped on the go. You're really stretching it to give the benefit of the doubt to the pea shooter.

Swamplord's 270gr .338 bullet, on the other hand, traveled the complete length of a bull moose. From the butt to the neck bone. 7-8ft penetration. Of course, he did use the better bullet.

Make what you want of it, but there is no comparison. Not even close. Take your pick... Pop gun or serious bad medicine on BIG big game.

The 300WM bullet never hit any shoulder/leg bone, yet still failed to enter the rib cage. The bull was running with 4 intact legs when it was dumped on the go. You're really stretching it to give the benefit of the doubt to the pea shooter.

Swamplord's 270gr .338 bullet, on the other hand, traveled the complete length of a bull moose. From the butt to the neck bone. 7-8ft penetration. Of course, he did use the better bullet.

Make what you want of it, but there is no comparison. Not even close. Take your pick... Pop gun or serious bad medicine on BIG big game.
No question bigger is usually better for stopping power. I only shoot what I can handle and shoot accurately. Just a note on one moose I shot quartering away from me at 180 yds through brush. I got one shot off that broke the right hib bone and traveled all the way to the front of the chest cavity where I recovered it next to the wind pipe. It was a premium ballistic tip which retained about 50% of it's weight. The caliber .300 WSM. The moose was approximately 3 years old and only travelled 100 yds after being hit.
My preferred shot placement is still a lung shot.
Just out of curiousity what .338 would you recommend for hunting at 400 yds or less that will not kick too bad?

I highly doubt a better bullet in a 300 mag would fail to penetrate a moose at any reasonable range. Very certain a hammer, accubond, tlr, heavy berger, partition gets the job done. I'm guessing the shooter was using 150 gr core lokt.
I own a 300 WM and I'd hunt anything in north america with it. I also own a 338 edge and it's a beast. The kinetic energy is very different when I'm ringing steel. That said, one doesn't negate the other - unless it's a 6.5 CM😉

No question bigger is usually better for stopping power. I only shoot what I can handle and shoot accurately. Just a note on one moose I shot quartering away from me at 180 yds through brush. I got one shot off that broke the right hib bone and traveled all the way to the front of the chest cavity where I recovered it next to the wind pipe. It was a premium ballistic tip which retained about 50% of it's weight. The caliber .300 WSM. The moose was approximately 3 years old and only travelled 100 yds after being hit.
Just out of curiousity what .338 would you recommend for hunting at 400 yds or less that will not kick too bad?
I use my Custom 338 RUM with a muzzle brake... Elk Thumper... 250 grain accubonds serious elk medicine...

I highly doubt a better bullet in a 300 mag would fail to penetrate a moose at any reasonable range. Very certain a hammer, accubond, tlr, heavy berger, partition gets the job done. I'm guessing the shooter was using 150 gr core lokt.
I own a 300 WM and I'd hunt anything in north america with it. I also own a 338 edge and it's a beast. The kinetic energy is very different when I'm ringing steel. That said, one doesn't negate the other - unless it's a 6.5 CM😉
Was told 180gr Core Lokt. But I was not there...
One tends to negate the other after the moose gets away, wounded, for many hunters.
I would carry more than your 300WSM on 1,200lb brown bear. You can kill them with a .223 if you brain them. Or they can kill you if things go bad.

338 Win Mag is the least powerful .338 I've used and seen used on moose. So I can't speak to anything lesser. I killed one young bull at 761yds with it. Anyhow, it's a very worthy moose and big bear cartridge, in my opinion. Quite popular in Alaska in an off-the-shelf factory rifle.

I've seen moose killed with lesser calibers. It can be done quite handily with good bullets and good shot placement. But the 338s almost always impact with greater authority than 7mms and .308s. At least that's been my consistent observation. There have been times where it's made the difference between celebration and disappointment. Our moose get pretty darn big - of the Alaska-Yukon variety.

Last edited:

Chit happens period. Don't discard the 284/30 caliber options for big Hooved critters just from one or a few mishaps. I watched a big bull hit with a 28 Nosler shooting 180 Berger's at almost 300 yards fold pretty fast. Hit the high shoulder and bull never made 4 steps. Destroyed vitals and anchored him fast. No follow up shot needed although he almost put another in him. Bullet construction is also Paramount. Wouldn't personally use a 180 Berger on a bull moose but he had confidence in them from other big game kills and it performed well.

338 Win Mag is the least powerful .338 I've used and seen used on moose. So I can't speak to anything lesser. I killed one young bull at 761yds with it. Anyhow, it's a very worthy moose and big bear cartridge, in my opinion. Quite popular in Alaska in an off-the-shelf factory rifle.

I've seen moose killed with lesser calibers. It can be done quite handily with good bullets and good shot placement. But the 338s almost always impact with greater authority than 7mms and .308s. At least that's been my consistent observation. There have been times where it's made the difference between celebration and disappointment. Our moose get pretty darn big - of the Alaska-Yukon variety.
Next thing you know the 45 will be replaced by 9mm (I say bigger is better) its the sock wave they just can't overcome

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.