Are the .338s becoming pointless?

I read you loud and clear, however, the 7mm RM if I am not wrong, was designed around the 140 gr. If you look at old reloading books, 175 gr was the max. The 338 LM was designed around the 300 grn. Again, I might be wrong. So I was using the bullet weight that a rifle was designed in my understanding. 175 was the highest load I had in my ballistics. Please share your 195. Of course there is the 338-378 WBY and the 338 Edge

I do have a 7mm...love it...my moto is...right tool for the right job!!
Around 71+/- grain of Retumbo under a 195 pushes it 3050 fps in my 28" barrel. I don't have the exact numbers in terms of velocity/energy but it's impressive. Personally the 195s should be pushed by the 28 Nosler for optimum performance. The 180 class bullets for the 284/7mm mags. Attached is drop data and ballistics on the Berger 195 at 4000' elevation

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200912-080235.png
    Screenshot_20200912-080235.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 103
Over the years I've taken many Elk with the "lowly" 270 win. Out to some 500 yds. All went down within just a Few ft! Lost one, then went to the 300 WM. Dropped Elk out to some 800+/- yds. One shot, one kill. So far have never lost one with the 300, and only the one with the 270win. Shot placement. SHOTPLACEMENT! Shoot on Brothers!
You are correct , SHOTPLACEMENT , To many times people get caught up in cartridge worship .

You are correct , SHOTPLACEMENT , To many times people get caught up in cartridge worship .
Shot placement is one of the reasons I prefer the .338's vs a 7 mag or similar for long range elk work, while it isn't a massive difference, a 300 Berger or 270 Bulldozer or other high bc .338 being launched from a .338 rum or bigger has less wind drift, which gives you more room for error in wind calls, probably the biggest reason people wound or miss at long range, which leads to better shots. With top end loads in both, it is usually half MOA or less difference even at 1000 yards, but it is still a difference. Plus your making a better hit, with more energy and a larger frontal area.

I used to use a .260AI for everything, and built my .338 for long range elk, and even though it only weighs 9.5 lbs, I am realizing I shoot it just as well as my 13.5 lb .260 AI, consistently half MOA or better on out.

Shot placement is one of the reasons I prefer the .338's vs a 7 mag or similar for long range elk work, while it isn't a massive difference, a 300 Berger or 270 Bulldozer or other high bc .338 being launched from a .338 rum or bigger has less wind drift, which gives you more room for error in wind calls, probably the biggest reason people wound or miss at long range, which leads to better shots. With top end loads in both, it is usually half MOA or less difference even at 1000 yards, but it is still a difference. Plus your making a better hit, with more energy and a larger frontal area.

I used to use a .260AI for everything, and built my .338 for long range elk, and even though it only weighs 9.5 lbs, I am realizing I shoot it just as well as my 13.5 lb .260 AI, consistently half MOA or better on out.
Pretty amazing how accurate the big 300 grain 338s are. Mines around 15lbs but shoots as accurate as my 6.5 cartridge guns. Even if I'd have built the gun under 10 lbs, the brake makes it a breeze to shoot accurately.

Pretty amazing how accurate the big 300 grain 338s are. Mines around 15lbs but shoots as accurate as my 6.5 cartridge guns. Even if I'd have built the gun under 10 lbs, the brake makes it a breeze to shoot accurately.
Right? Check out the recoil here, this is a relatively new shooter, he takes his first big game animal, a doe pronghorn, at 661 yards. But notice the recoil, even for a novice shooter behind a 9.5 lb .338 Norma shooting 270 grain bullets at 2830 fps, it looks like something of a 6.5 variety because of the MBM beast brake. My good buddies 11.5 lb rifle with a T3 Terminator is also very similar

Right? Check out the recoil here, this is a relatively new shooter, he takes his first big game animal, a doe pronghorn, at 661 yards. But notice the recoil, even for a novice shooter behind a 9.5 lb .338 Norma shooting 270 grain bullets at 2830 fps, it looks like something of a 6.5 variety because of the MBM beast brake. My good buddies 11.5 lb rifle with a T3 Terminator is also very similar

Ya pretty amazing. As much as I don't like brakes I really appreciate them

I like that :cool:

My son just called me on his satellite phone. His hunting partner had just shot a bull moose at 330 yds on the front shoulder - quartering to shot profile - with a 180gr Rem Core Lokt 300 Win Mag. Bullet failed to penetrate into the chest cavity. Son anchored the bull on the run after the first weakling bullet failed to penetrate.

A 250-300gr .338 would have anchored that bull with the first shot. .338s are only pointless for dispatching itty bitty large game animals. Big animals - big bullets.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.