Anyone tried Tubb’s bullet nose ring cutter?

orch

Has anyone tried cutting a nose ring on their match bullets for hunting... I have seen some guys talking about drilling out bullet tips to aid bullet expansion, just thinking this might be a better option...
If anyone has been using it, where'd you get it from? I was looking on Tubb's website but couldn't find it on there anywhere....

Orch

If you're thinking of going this route read the ad VERY well. He is selling a "license" to use his device and then he gives you a device more or less on "loan" forever.

You cannot loan it out to a buddy, sell it or sell any bullets you cut with it.

Thank you for the replies. Last year or so I sent an email to the site asking about the price. I got a response, I like the concept, I just could not get past the 600 price.

I am looking to read about personal experience with them on target, but more importantly on game. Did not realize the "license to use" clause.

My interest comes from the fact that I have a good amount of FGMM 300WM with 190 SMKs that shoots real well. Getting lazy in my old age, if I can get by with factory ammo I have, I would do it. For example, I have not loaded any 308s, just tapping into my stash of M118 LRs and M852s, and MexMatch the old White Box M118 Match and brown box Special Ball.

I don't have it, haven't tried it, but it does sound like it has potential.
Functionally similar to meplat trimming, but better IMO.

The reason I see this ring approach as better is because meplat trimming in itself is actually nose length trimming.
Well nose length doesn't matter like meplat diameter matters. This ring approach is setting consistent diameter of the drag point.
There is a overall cost to BC, while reducing variance of BC.
Pointing can improve BC, and still reduce variance of BC.
But this ring cutting is far easier for at least one benefit (esp for factory ammo).

I have one. It does indeed change the BC and certainly makes the bullets more explosive. I ringed some .308 FMJ's for my buddy to shoot prairie dogs and he said they came apart.

I'd need to consult my test log (which is on paper in the shop) but I was able to improve the BC SD on some bullets and not on others. I was testing over my Oehler 89 so I was able to measure actual BC.

Is it worth it? That depends on what you want. I think it's a better way to cause bullets to be more frangible than trimming and opening meplats. It can have a positive effect on BC as well. You'd just need to test a lot with it.

To comment on a comment above, there's a 'contract' you have to sign to not use it commercially. For private use only and you can't resell it. I've been meaning to call them and ask if they'll buy it back or let me sell it to an individual. Once I played around with it I realized I have no long-term use for it.

I have one. It does indeed change the BC and certainly makes the bullets more explosive. I ringed some .308 FMJ's for my buddy to shoot prairie dogs and he said they came apart.

I'd need to consult my test log (which is on paper in the shop) but I was able to improve the BC SD on some bullets and not on others. I was testing over my Oehler 89 so I was able to measure actual BC.

Is it worth it? That depends on what you want. I think it's a better way to cause bullets to be more frangible than trimming and opening meplats. It can have a positive effect on BC as well. You'd just need to test a lot with it.

Thank you for the response.

Got me really interested. I cranked out a jig to hold the loaded round I can chuck up in the lathe. I have no idea how far from the tip to cut the annular ring and how deep. Picked a random distance from jig end, 0.400 on this pass and 0.008 deep.

The jig; basically, I turned down and dialed a barrel drop, drill/ream then ran the reamer through. Much like a chambering job. Threaded the end and made cap to screw on to the jig to allow the round to bottom out against the shoulder. Sample round is a M118 LR with 175 SMK. I will test ammo next day or two to see how they group on paper. I won't be hunting any time soon.

20230225_190726.jpg
20230225_190623.jpg
20230225_190432.jpg

20230227_163936.jpg
20230227_164101.jpg
20230227_164020.jpg

If anyone is willing to do some immediate testing on hogs, I will be glad to send some 175 SMKs with annular rings cut. Can't call them nose ring, that's DT's trademark. Or if y'all have preferred projectiles, I can process some. I can hold them in an ER32 collet chuck, then chuck the collet in the lathe. Just let me know how far from tip and how deep.

If interested holler.

Last edited:
To comment on a comment above, there's a 'contract' you have to sign to not use it commercially. For private use only and you can't resell it. I've been meaning to call them and ask if they'll buy it back or let me sell it to an individual. Once I played around with it I realized I have no long-term use for it.
The thing that bugs me about the contract is you can't even loan it to your buddies to use. It has to stay under your direct control at all times per my discussion with Tubbs when I was thinking about one.

David most likely invested a lot time and money testing the product