Anyone tried GS custom bullets

gun_rat82

The company I work for just imported a crap load of GS bullets from south africa, and I was wondering if there were some people who've tried them here.
I grabbed some 6.5mm 110gr sp monometalic vld's and plan to shoot them in my 6.5mmx284.
They are supposed to be pretty **** hot but we'll see if the proof is in the pudding as they say.

I used the 150grn .308 in a 30-06 last year. I shot 3 antelope, and three mule deer. Ranges from 150yrds to 450yrds. They did everything that they were advertised to do. Very fast killing with very little meat damage. Hit one mule deer in the spine, and only lost 5" of backstrap. They shoot 100 to 200 fps faster than conventional bullets of similar weight.

You should check out their web sight to get load data before you start. They have done extensive research on their product. I recommend following their methods of load development.

I think they are very good bullets and would continue to use them if they were easier to get.

Steve

P.S. You probably should follow their recommendations for twist rate for the bullet you are using.

I'll be shooting them in my 8" twist 6.5x284 so I shouldn't have any stabilization issues.
supply isn't an issue due to the fact that we're the importer for them now for canada.

They recommend a 1 in 7 to 1 in 9 in that bullet. Looks like it should work for you. Hopefully they shoot well for you. They are very impressive on game.

I am going to start working up a load for my Uncle tonight for his 30-06. He drew a bull moose tag this year. Planning on using the GS bullets.

gun rat,

I just realized that the bullets that you are talking about are not the hunting bullets. They are their match bullets. They look pretty slick, but they don't have a hollow point. They will not expand at all.

Sorry about the confusion.

Steve

I just e-mailed gerard to get some bc's and other info.
I can't wait to test them out, but my range here in town only goes to 400yds, but a club a couple hours away is going to push their range to 1000 soon. which will save me a 600km drive to the next closer 1000yd range.

Gun rat.. Let me know what you find out.. I just ordered 200 6.5 140gr berger from you guys.. If you guys have some thing else for long range keep me informed..

I'm sorry, I was also talking about the hunting bullets (HV). I have no experience with the SP VLD's. I should have read more closely.

This is Gerard's reply for your guy's intrest. my bullets will probably be travelling at around 3200-3450fps from my 30" brl.
The BC numbers for all our bullets are calculated with the software developed by McCoy for the US Military and therefore represents a constant number for all our bullets. Where your particular atmospheric and geographic situation shows a practical difference, up or down, the difference can then be used as a constant multiplier for all our bullets.

The numbers for the 264110SP are:
3300fps - .665
2250fps - .593
1200fps - .433

The bullet is designed to have a stability factor of 1.22 from a 1:8" barrel at 3000fps. Tractability is very good and, depending on conditions, will enter the transonic zone at about 1200m

GS 6.5 110gr sp vld length 1.406" w. .450" +/- bearing surface
Berger 140gr vld 1.412" w. .500" +/- bearing suface
I should have some results posted by tuesday

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.