Anyone familiar with Bertram brass?

ihuntak

I see Grafs is carrying Bertram brass from Australia. Does anyone have any experience with this and what would it compare to here (Remington, Winchester, Norma, Hornady, etc?)

Thanks

I've used it.
It's overpriced junk, I've never seen such inconsistent brass.
Case capacity varied by 3 grains on some fired cases, necks needed turned because thickness varied by .002, and some flash holes were 90 percent blocked and super jagged.
What cartridge are you looking at ?

Thanks for that, I figured as much. I'm looking 338 win mag. Norma used to make it but I can't find any. Then there's the others with Nosler and Hornady being my next choice.

I'd definitely do Nosler or Hornady over Bertram.
If you wanted really good brass and were up for it you could get ADG 300 win mag brass and form it to 338 wm

Seems to depend on the caliber and there were bad batches a few years back. They have some of the best 7WSM brass out there though. I was recently looking for 6.5 PRC brass (thread not far back actually) and Bertram was highly recommended coming in on par or slightly below ADG/Gunwerks brass and way better than the Hornady brass for the PRC. In 338 Win, I would go Bertram over Hornady every day...

Last edited:
Have had nothing but good results with Bertram brass. Specifically 8mm magnum and my own wildcat 9.3/.375 flanged magnum. I'm up to 3 reloads in 8mm and 5 in 9.3mm. No signs of being done yet. Granted this isn't your common long range stuff that everyone is trying to shoot the moon with...:cool:

Handled pressure well but definitely needs to be sorted and annealed. Case neck tension is very inconsistent

I consider my investment in 7mm WSM Bertram brass a waste of money with inconsistent neck wall thickness, neck tension and case weights. I only have experience with 101 pieces so it may not be definitive but the case neck tension was not consistent after turning the necks and using a Sinclair mandrel followed by a Redding bushing as measured with a Ballistic Tools gauge. Very frustrating. I'm going to fire form the cases and then anneal them to see if I can at least use them for practice rounds. Makes my Winchester brass seem like premium brass for less than half of the cost.

Bertram has worked well for me in my 338 Edge. Handles pressure great and has been consistent quality. Before I tried the Bertram I had poor results from both Remington and Nosler brass. Picked up some 6.5 SAUM brass from Bertram for a new build but haven't used it yet as the rifle isn't done.

Shot some through a 6.5 SAUM since I didn't have much of a choice other than Hornadys junk. Was able to get multiple firings and worked for me, however as mentioned they need to be sorted.

I've used 6.5 PRC brass from Bertram/Gunwerks/Hornady/ADG and I found Gunwerks/ADG brass to be excellent so far, very consistent weight wise, Bertram brass seems to be good also but necks were very rough, kind of pebbled on the exterior of the necks and weights were not as consistent as GW/ADG, does seem very durable though.

With that being said I really can't complain about the Hornady brass as it's been great, no issues what so ever, I'm up to 4 and 5 firings on it.

I am having decent luck with their 270 WSM necked up to 7mm for my 7-300 WSM. Like others have mentioned, sorting is key. Only 85% were within 1.5 grains from the average.

Neck tension also varies.

Winchester and Remington brass was a lot worse than Bertram.

I plan to try other brass the next time around.

For those of you talking about the need to sort; you measured case volume and not just the weight of the brass I hope? Volume/capacity is what matters, but I also understand that is still debatable for some reason...;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts