Any decent LR hunting opportunities in mid-west Arkansas?? Looking for a huntin buddy.

codyadams

So unfortunately I have to leave my wonderful home state of Wyoming so my wife can pursue further education and work opportunities in her career, so I am likely moving to Arkansas anywhere from one month to 4 months from now, and will be there for anywhere from 3 to 7 years before I can move back here. And don't get me wrong, I don't hate Arkansas by any means, but I will certainly miss being able to hunt monster mulies every year at 10,000 ft elevation with a $38 OTC tag, and chase 300"+ bulls every year with a $58 OTC tag as well. That one is going to hurt.

But while I am in Arkansas, I am wondering if I will be able to do any LR hunting of the whitetail deer, possibly hogs, or anything else. I am also interested in archery hunting as well, as I chase elk with a bow out here too. The entire year I live for the fall hunting season. It is 100% new to me, the only person I know out there is my father in law, and I have only visited one time.

I plan on coming back to Wyoming every year to hunt, the area I will be applying for has about a 50% or so draw odds for non-resident doe/fawn pronghorn, and I know the ranchers here and can hunt on their land (there are areas in the mid east and north east side of the state that are 100% draw odds, but access is a little more challenging, but doable if interested) and I also know how to get a 100% draw odd non-resident late season cow/calf elk tag (for under $300), with FANTASTIC long range opportunities. So if someone could help me out in Arkansas, I could certainly help them out in return on a Wyoming hunt or two, as this is my stomping grounds. We could even split travel expenses, and there is no trespass or guide fee, just travel to Wyoming for a pronghorn or elk hunt, or both, and have a good time.

A hunting buddy wouldn't be a bad thing for me to have in an area I don't know, my father in law doesn't hunt much, and I will be leaving all my hunting friends and family behind. I will be living near Paris, so not far from the Ozark forest. My wife will be working in Ft. Smith. So that is our general location.

I love anything hunting and fishing, waterfowl, boating, I even spearfish and have freediving/spearfishing gear for multiple people. Any interest just send me a private message. I'm also gonna post this in the swap-a-hunt area too.

Take care.

PLEASE SKIP TO POST #26 ON PAGE 2.

Last edited:
So unfortunately I have to leave my wonderful home state of Wyoming so my wife can pursue further education and work opportunities in her career, so I am likely moving to Arkansas anywhere from one month to 4 months from now, and will be there for anywhere from 3 to 7 years before I can move back here. And don't get me wrong, I don't hate Arkansas by any means, but I will certainly miss being able to hunt monster mulies every year at 10,000 ft elevation with a $38 OTC tag, and chase 300"+ bulls every year with a $58 OTC tag as well. That one is going to hurt.

But while I am in Arkansas, I am wondering if I will be able to do any LR hunting of the whitetail deer, possibly hogs, or anything else. I am also interested in archery hunting as well, as I chase elk with a bow out here too. The entire year I live for the fall hunting season. It is 100% new to me, the only person I know out there is my father in law, and I have only visited one time.

I plan on coming back to Wyoming every year to hunt, the area I will be applying for has about a 50% or so draw odds for non-resident doe/fawn pronghorn, and I know the ranchers here and can hunt on their land (there are areas in the mid east and north east side of the state that are 100% draw odds, but access is a little more challenging, but doable if interested) and I also know how to get a 100% draw odd non-resident late season cow/calf elk tag (for under $300), with FANTASTIC long range opportunities. So if someone could help me out in Arkansas, I could certainly help them out in return on a Wyoming hunt or two, as this is my stomping grounds. We could even split travel expenses, and there is no trespass or guide fee, just travel to Wyoming for a pronghorn or elk hunt, or both, and have a good time.

A hunting buddy wouldn't be a bad thing for me to have in an area I don't know, my father in law doesn't hunt much, and I will be leaving all my hunting friends and family behind. I will be living near Paris, AK, so not far from the Ozark forest. My wife will be working in Ft. Smith. So that is our general location.

I love anything hunting and fishing, waterfowl, boating, I even spearfish and have freediving/spearfishing gear for multiple people. Any interest just send me a private message. I'm also gonna post this in the swap-a-hunt area too.

Take care.
You can see and shoot a long ways in the Boston Mountains just a few minutes north of where you are. Kicker is, you cannot do so until after leaf drop. This is also late season when deer get scarse and really difficult to find. We shoot them a long ways off sometimes in beanfields on the eastern side of the State. That is also where the bulk of the waterfowl hunting is. The hog hunting is in the really thick pine thickets in the southern part of the State. The north central and some of the NW areas now have a pretty bad problem with CWD. Hope the Elk around the Buffalo don't catch it. Don't even know it they can. We have a good waterfowl lease near Augusta. Shoot a few deer, mostly before duck season. Place is unique that we also kill a lot of geese. We are looking for a member. Will discuss it with you if you are interested. Don't forget the two finest brown trout fisheries in the World. The White and Little Red Rivers. Absolute blast to fish. Almost forgot. Bear hunting is pretty good right in your backyard.

Thank you, I will certainly look into all that. I greatly appreciate it. Ya if you could message me about the waterfowl lease that would be great, I know nothing of them and have never been involved with one, and don't know how we will be on money for a while but it is something I could look into. Thank you again sir

I lived in NW Arkansas for two years, relocated back to my native Montana last week. I found VERY few opportunities to shoot over 300 yards. Too many trees, and everything there is mostly private ownership, no BLM or state land to go exercise our second ammendment rights on.

I live on the eastern side where we are called flat lander's. Have taken whitetail out to 875yds. There should be some wma or national Forrest near fort smith. I think you can get access to bow hunt on the military base right in that area, it's full of deer.

A hunting buddy wouldn't be a bad thing for me to have in an area I don't know, my father in law doesn't hunt much, and I will be leaving all my hunting friends and family behind. I will be living near Paris, so not far from the Ozark forest. My wife will be working in Ft. Smith. So that is our general location.

Take care.
Keep an address in Wyoming and renew your DL there anually...lol. they will never know you left! Pay a buddy on PAPER monthly rent!

Spearfishing in the NW part of the state is pretty good in the larger lakes, Lake Ouachita in the west central part of the state, and Greers Ferry north of LR. Probably won't find much for longer shots unless it's on a old logging road or powerline, I agree with the 300 yard comment earlier, most of the time sub 200. I hunt in SW AR and the deer are getting bigger than when I was young but no where near Mulie size. If you enjoy archery that will most likely be your best chance of finding a good spot on public land, hogs are free game 24/7 on private land any method of take you want short of poison, check public land regs though. Ask your wife to ask the guys at work if they have a lease opening.

Take care.
Don't worry about Arkansas...come to Alberta! Your wife is going to be working so hard with the new job...she probably won't notice you're gone before 10 days is up!

Cody Adams. Bud, I might be meeting you down in Arkansas. Western Nevada is becoming a new California. I ran here to get away from that horrific state and now it followed me. I might be going through that big move between October this year and March of next year. See you down there!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts