My mid and long range hunting opportunities

pdd614

I usually hunt once or twice a month on the family ranch. It's almost 1000 acres here in Texas, and usually infested with hogs. During the early mornings and evenings I usually take off on foot to have a look around the ranch. We have several fields ranging from 200-1200 yards long, and I never know when or where I will catch up with the hogs.

I am always confronted by two situations. First, my long range rifle is too heavy to be hiking 6-7 miles with, and second I haven't found my perfect scope just yet.

Here is what I have.
A stiller built 6.5x47 in a manners t4 stock with dbm and a 5-20 razor, a tc icon 243 with nikon 4-14 mildot, and an ar15 with trijicon 3-9 mildot. Also in the stable is 6 digit serial numbered remington 700 7 mag with a weaver 3-15 edmr.

The icon 243 is a plain jane stock rifle that I purchased for 500 bucks new. It is a great shooter, but has a factory 10 twist barrel. I am shooting 95 berger classic's out of it now. If I could re-barrel this rifle to something like a 6xc or 6 creed, and top it with a light weight scope, it would be absolutely perfect for midrange hunting.

The 6.5x47 with the razor is a very accurate range rifle. I am due for a new barrel, and I am seriously considering ordering a #3 bartlein 6.5 barrel and a spare mag face bolt. Dropping weight with a lighter scope would help too.

What are you guys using for a walk around type long range rifle?

I'm looking for a very basic hunting scope, with only a few exceptions.
Mag range: 2-10, 3-12ish.
1 inch tube, 44ish objective
Capped knobs on both the windage and elevation.
.1 mil adjustments. 3 or 4 mils in a turn are fine by me.
UNDER 20 OUNCES.
Parallax is optional.
Reticle in the ffp. tree reticle with clearly defined whole and half mil markings. think g2h or ebr-2b.
No illumination needed.
Great glass.
Around 1k in price.
lifetime warranty.

Swarovski z3 with the brh reticle is close. Wish it was .1 mil adjusted and ffp.
Bushnell lrhs is close indeed. I don't need an exposed elevation knob,30mm tube, or the extra weight.
Kahles helia c 3-12 is about as close as it gets, but the 56mm objective and the plain jane mildot doesn't cut it.

A few pictures from the hunting grounds.

If your willing to accept an moa scope vortex makes the xlr ffp scopes
the 4-16x50 and 2x10x32 may meet your needs. I run a couple of the 4-16 on my walking around rifles and they have proven to be excellent scopes...everything else I can think of blows your budget up pretty bad.LOL

Jordan@406

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.