Another 7 saum inquiry

Jakeweb09

I'm planning out my first custom build so still working on figuring it all out. I'm doing a 7 saum and am pretty much set on a short action..I know that'll cause ejection issues of a loaded round with bullets like the 180 vld but I mostly plan on shooting 168s. I already have a barrel sitting in the safe waiting for an action, so I'm focus on selecting an action at the moment and need help. Is there any short action that would be better for the longer bullets or is it pretty much the same across the board. I looked at the ARC nucleus but it lists max coal at 2.94 where a lot of the others say 2.98-2.995..So with that action is it not able to feed the longer bullets? Because if I go with a Mesa precision summit or another action that holds a wyatts extended mag I can get up to that 2.995 range right? I just don't want to be restricted too much. Especially if I ever decide to shoot the 175-180 range bullets..any input or experience would be great!

I used a Surgeon WSM action and a Wyatt center feed magazine for my 7mm SAUM.

I'm planning out my first custom build so still working on figuring it all out. I'm doing a 7 saum and am pretty much set on a short action..I know that'll cause ejection issues of a loaded round with bullets like the 180 vld but I mostly plan on shooting 168s. I already have a barrel sitting in the safe waiting for an action, so I'm focus on selecting an action at the moment and need help. Is there any short action that would be better for the longer bullets or is it pretty much the same across the board. I looked at the ARC nucleus but it lists max coal at 2.94 where a lot of the others say 2.98-2.995..So with that action is it not able to feed the longer bullets? Because if I go with a Mesa precision summit or another action that holds a wyatts extended mag I can get up to that 2.995 range right? I just don't want to be restricted too much. Especially if I ever decide to shoot the 175-180 range bullets..any input or experience would be great!
Have you considered a Tikka action?
They're perfect for the saum's since they're basically a medium length action.
With 180's you'll want to be around 3.1-3.2" oal to reach the saum's full potential

My post may be irrelevant, but I shot 2 Lawton SA target actions in 7 saum for yrs, pulling the bolt to eject a loaded rd. I finally stepped up to a Defiance LA, never looked back and never will. Not only that, I can slip up to a 28-30 Nosler, or 300WM with little fanfare. The hardest action to ever sell is a SA mag bolt face.

Have you considered a Tikka action?
They're perfect for the saum's since they're basically a medium length action.
With 180's you'll want to be around 3.1-3.2" oal to reach the saum's full potential

I actually have looked at the tikka but honestly rather stick with a 700 clone. I like having the ability to switch things between different rifles and having more options for things in general. They seem really nice for the money though.

Rich over at Sherman wildcats has my attention on the 7 Sherman short mag though. More velocity, pretty much the same powder charges, Better barrel life and functions in standard short mag boxes extremely well. Hard to ignore.

Sherman short mags are the way to go with a true short action.
7SS or 7SST. About 50fps less with the SST vs SS.
Definitely seat the bullets out of the body easier than a SAUM and still have the same OAL.
I don't know about "faster than a SAUM", but they definitely match the SAUM speeds with slightly less charge weights with the right powder choice.
I own several Sherman Shorts, with another one ready any day, and have shot several others. I don't own any SAUMs, but have shot a bunch. Potayto/potahto.

Sherman short mags are the way to go with a true short action.
7SS or 7SST. About 50fps less with the SST vs SS.
Definitely seat the bullets out of the body easier than a SAUM and still have the same OAL.
I don't know about "faster than a SAUM", but they definitely match the SAUM speeds with slightly less charge weights with the right powder choice.
I own several Sherman Shorts, with another one ready any day, and have shot several others. I don't own any SAUMs, but have shot a bunch. Potayto/potahto.

how do they cycle with the 40* shoulder in your experience? Seems like this would be the only possible downside

how do they cycle with the 40* shoulder in your experience? Seems like this would be the only possible downside
Mine cycle like butter in a BDL w. Wyatt's box with a Lone Peak Fuzion TI SA and an R700 SA. I should have my new one with a Kelbly Atlas Tac this week I think. I have run them in a DBM in a Kelbly and Defiance with no issues as well. But with my Lone Peak Fuzion, the feed ramp is set back just a touch, and it had feeding issues with the bullet tip getting under the feed ramp.
The SST feeds flawlessly in everything I have run them in.

Last edited:
7 saum here in a remy short action with a wyatts box shooting 180 hybrids at 3060 fps
No feed or extraction issues with loaded rounds from the mag

That's screaming in the SAUM. I'm not really chasing the velocity as much as good functionality in a short action, and the ability to run the 180 or 195 even

I frequently read where hunters using a single shot rifle because the cartridge OAL is too long to fit in the magazine. I think loosing the option in having a second shot quickly available for a hunting rifle isn't worth it.

If the reason for longer seating is to get close to the lands, buy a custom reamer with a shorter throat. If it is purely for velocity gain IMO it is not worth the loss of flexibility.

I look at this differently. While there might be a slight difference in max velocity you can gain with a 180 seated longer you just said you are not chasing velocity. I suggest you seat the bullet to fit and feed your magazine and work up a load.

Looking at Hodgon's and Nosler's loading sites, the max load with a 180 will be right around 2800 fps. Both sites are using an OAL of 2.825" You said you can seat to almost 3". I would suggest that the gain you might get if you seat a 180 longer than 3" wouldn't be much.

Lets say for grins you could get a 100 fps gain. Crunching some numbers for a 180 Berger hybrid target @ 2800 fps and 2900 fps 4000 ft 59 degrees 40% humidity:
The wind drift for 500 yds: 2900 fps 8.8" 2800 fps 9.3" a mere .5". Energy for these two velocities: 2900 2324 ft/lb 2800 2135 ft/lb.

The load data for both companies used a 24" barrel you could use a 26"barrel to gain some velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.