Annealing Services vs Buying an Annealer

Does anyone here use an annealing service and if so who do you use and how much does it run per case? I'm trying to do a cost benefit analysis of using a service vs buying something like the Annealeez and doing it myself. I like the idea of shipping a batch of brass off and having it done for me but by the time you pay all the shipping I'm guessing the Annealeez might pay for itself fairly quickly … obviously dependent on shooting volume.

Thanks!
For years I used Copper Creek Cartridge and they provided a very fast, excellent service at fair prices. I just checked their site and annealing is not listed now so I contacted them. Their custom ammo business has grown so big with all the demand right now that they stopped offering annealing services.

Does anyone here use an annealing service and if so who do you use and how much does it run per case? I'm trying to do a cost benefit analysis of using a service vs buying something like the Annealeez and doing it myself. I like the idea of shipping a batch of brass off and having it done for me but by the time you pay all the shipping I'm guessing the Annealeez might pay for itself fairly quickly … obviously dependent on shooting volume.

Thanks!
I do my own using a Lee shell holder chucked up in a drill and a small propane torch and a butter tub filled with water. And turn the neck of brass through the small flame on the torch until I can feel the heat with my finger tip and once I feel that I turn the drill off and dip the tip of the brass in the water.

honestly i'm looking hard at induction coils. i like that a lot more than any type.

I second the induction process. My wife put the kibosh on my flame annealing so I looked at induction and found the GinaErick thread on Accurate Shooter. The thread has been going since 2016 with a lot of ideas for people of all skill levels to use.
I just finished my version using Bruce's idea for case feeding. This is version 1, after I use it a while I plan to rebuild it to make it smaller and lighter.

Attachments

• induct V1.jpg
    induct V1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 100
I just found that GinaErick thread late last night ... only 119 pages left to read through!! lol

Honestly it looks like the way to go but it's a pretty intense and involved build out. In a former life I was a carpenter so building the unit would be a breeze, but I've got two left hands when it comes to wiring and all the electronic stuff so that will be a challenge.

I have been reloading for over 40 years I have never annealed any brass. When reloading for my
AR-15 M-1A or M-1 grand I full length size normally I can get 10-15 loadings for the AR before the necks start to crack the M-1s bout 5-6 then its head case issues the bolt guns I only neck size and have not tossed any because of wear. There's are .223 22-250 7mmMag and a .338 win mag but that's me I am sure others have their own ways
Annealing brass for precision rifle loads also helps control neck tension, which is important for consistant release of the bullet. When I reload for my precision rifles, I only neck resize, as the cases are perfectly fireformed to the chamber. After a few shots, I do need to bump the shoulder back. This is only for my bolt guns as semi autos need full case resize.

Your mileage may vary....

Thanks!
I use the AMP Mark II annealer and really get good results.

For me I anneal frequently and sending my brass out (1) would be too costly (2) with today's mail system who knows when/if you'll get it back (3) with these idiots in Washington DC who knows what they're up to with components. I was using the salt bath method, my son bought me an Annealeez for Christmas and cannot believe the ease of annealing between the two. Not knocking the salt bath, but seriously prefer the Annealeez

Thanks!
I bought the AMP MK II and not sure where you are but I let friends come over and anneal as much as they want as long as they bring me a six pack.

Thanks!
Please bear with me as I have posted this before. I am not saying I am right and you guys are wrong. I will be the first to apologize if I find out I am wrong. However, I have tried many different ways to anneal and for me, there is one method that works the best. Years ago after questioning a major brass manufacturer I was told brass necks needs to get orange or red and then quenched. Getting it red is needed to get the molecules excited or moving. When quenched the brass stays in soft state. It is the opposite of steel as when steel molecules are moving, quenching hardens and stays in that state. I have tested brass elasticity in all stages of annealing and unless it is brought to orange the button will screech and resist as it is sizing neck, indicating little elasticity and still work hardened. Brass gets harder from working as steel gets softer from working. I have annealed hundreds of pieces of brass by standingg brass up in pan half filled with water and heating neck orange with propane torch and knocking over in water. And that changes the molecular structure and softens. Have shot my best groups after annealing in this manner. Just my method

Ok you might have sold me on this, a lot safer, cleaner, simple, and cost effective. Time to start researching induction annealing!
No, no, no, not trying to sell you on any method?! Do what you find works best for your applications? I'm an oldskool handloader, been at it for 41 years, and have lean a thing or two or 50, from hours at the loading bench and range.

Since I'v a lot of rifles in a bunch of calibers, I don't want to be at the bench longer than needed. I'm currently processing another big batch of 223 range brass that was delivered a couple week ago. Have a processing plan and adjust it as needed. Brass prep is longest, most important part of the process. I have a saying: Always be processing brass.

No, no, no, not trying to sell you on any method?! Do what you find works best for your applications? I'm an oldskool handloader, been at it for 41 years, and have lean a thing or two or 50, from hours at the loading bench and range.

Since I'v a lot of rifles in a bunch of calibers, I don't want to be at the bench longer than needed. I'm currently processing another big batch of 223 range brass that was delivered a couple week ago. Have a processing plan and adjust it as needed. Brass prep is longest, most important part of the process. I have a saying: Always be processing brass.
It's just a figure of speech man, haha. You presented a different option that I hadn't seen / considered and I like it! I'm still researching salt bath annealing as well but induction seems to be the way to go.

Molten Salt-probably? Higher danger level-definitely! A simple drop of sweat, in the vat, and there's an explosive problem.
It only takes a few minutes to set the speed & propane flame on my annealer.
The salt bath is an involved process and as a handloader, make any process as efficient as possible!
My next project is, a DIY induction annealer....

No disrespect meant but I always wear a full face shield when salt bath annealing and built a cheap plexiglass shield so nothing can accidentally fall into my molten salt and on top of that my brass holder made of SST also seals the vat +/-99%
It's strictly a personal choice I will share my experience and recommend you make your decision accordingly
Been using salt bath annealing for 3-4 years very satisfied with the results

This Induction Annealing sound incredible. Thanks for the great question and all the great answers!!!! Is there a brand name for the induction annealer device??? Do I need an electrician to run power to this unit???? Do I anneal every 4th or 5th reloading session?????

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.