Annealing Services vs Buying an Annealer

I have never tried salt bath anealing and like anything I believe results vary depending on the application but my main problem with salt bath anealing is the danger one drop of water or sweat and you have molten lava basically exploding right in front of you which scares the crap out of me even more than an open flame at my loading bench with powder in the same room I know I know but now what I need 2 different rooms to do my reloading
Not saying it can't happen, but the process uses a "shell plate" that is mostly enclosed over the melting pot. The chances of an explosion is very minimal in my opinion and maybe the same risk as an incident with an open flame. No doubt an induction system may be safer, but not so sure if results would be any better.

Not saying it can't happen, but the process uses a "shell plate" that is mostly enclosed over the melting pot. The chances of an explosion is very minimal in my opinion and maybe the same risk as an incident with an open flame. No doubt an induction system may be safer, but not so sure if results would be any better.
I agree Rick, some pretty basic precautions should alleviate any concern of a water droplet landing in the molten salt. I do all of my loading in my basement and even on 100+ degree summer days it never gets much above 70 degrees down there so sweating is never a concern.

I agree Rick, some pretty basic precautions should alleviate any concern of a water droplet landing in the molten salt. I do all of my loading in my basement and even on 100+ degree summer days it never gets much above 70 degrees down there so sweating is never a concern.
And I always where eye/face protection

Yeah a simple disclaimer may work, but I'd maybe have a lawyer look at it. If nothing else maybe the LLC to protect your personal estate from your business dealings. I don't think you'd ever have an issue man but like you said once lawyers get involved it wouldn't take much to drag you through the mud and if they could prove the brass was too weakened or whatever it could put you in a bad spot without some kind of protection.

A couple years ago I got started in making daisy chain ropes out of amsteel that everyone now loves to use on climbing sticks for hunting, sold a ton of them on facebook groups before realizing if one of those ever broke and a guy fell out of the tree I could be in a world of hurt from a liability standpoint. A few different guys jumped in and started actual businesses and websites making them so I pretty quickly faded away and stopped doing it, which was fine by me ... made enough that first year to completely overhaul my entire hunting gear and equipment so I was happy!
Yes I am definitely concerned about that once it was mentioned to me I am in the process of building myself a new house and I absolutely do not want to build it for someone else

I would like to add that these are just my fears I am clumsy I might knock it over trip over the cord and it just basically scares me working with something like that again safety measures can be taken this is just me I guess I'm a worry wart
Lol. Then you did good with the purchase of the AMP.

I read most all of the threads and the one point I did not see mentioned was the value of time. I don't think the device cost is prohibitive and if you shoot much and you send it out for annealing you will quickly exceed the cost of the equipment. My work schedule does not allow me time during the week to shoot, nor work on reloading. Before the ammo crisis I decided to shoot some calibers with only factory ammo, more about the time value of money as well. When I get about half a day a month on a weekend for a good range day, I'd rather shoot than have more reloading tasks to do. 20 years ago I'd do as much as I could myself as I had more time and less money. And in 10 years will likely be back in that position. I have about 1k mixed brass just cleaned and annealed coming back from Bob Ariana, so can't give details on the experience but communication has been great and lots of good feedback on his work on line. For similar reasons I try to buy the best brass possible to minimize the work to prep.

I think this decision is very unique to the individual.

JB

I have been reloading for over 40 years I have never annealed any brass. When reloading for my
AR-15 M-1A or M-1 grand I full length size normally I can get 10-15 loadings for the AR before the necks start to crack the M-1s bout 5-6 then its head case issues the bolt guns I only neck size and have not tossed any because of wear. There's are .223 22-250 7mmMag and a .338 win mag but that's me I am sure others have their own ways

I have been reloading for over 40 years I have never annealed any brass. When reloading for my
AR-15 M-1A or M-1 grand I full length size normally I can get 10-15 loadings for the AR before the necks start to crack the M-1s bout 5-6 then its head case issues the bolt guns I only neck size and have not tossed any because of wear. There's are .223 22-250 7mmMag and a .338 win mag but that's me I am sure others have their own ways
For me it is about maxing accuracy through consistency i.e. neck tension, any case life extension is a side benefit.

Those are are five shot groups at 200

Attachments

• 54F96C38-AB30-428F-B791-75507DCF9EB5.jpeg
    54F96C38-AB30-428F-B791-75507DCF9EB5.jpeg
    579.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 40489EF0-EDE0-4C07-A6B0-18C1E583D00F.jpeg
    40489EF0-EDE0-4C07-A6B0-18C1E583D00F.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 9256C8FD-F5D8-460F-98F8-D06D46EAD1DA.jpeg
    9256C8FD-F5D8-460F-98F8-D06D46EAD1DA.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 81
That's with a savage model 12 . 223with a Timney trigger bartline 1-7.7 barrel 8x32 Sightron and a cheep Caldwell front rest that's it but again that's what works for me

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts