Annealing service?

Wedgy

Lee melting pot doesn't control the temp very well, it allows temp swings over a pretty wide range, so I left the melting pot thermostat on high. I plugged the pot into a lamp dimmer (rheostat) and made a mark on it when I found just the right temp (I use 500 degrees C), and that holds a pretty consistent temp.
I noticed the temp swing and will try the dimmer. Thanks for sharing the idea !

Jeffpatton00

Here's a photo of the dimmer I built - it's just a light dimmer in a utility box. The red light gives a visual indication that the dimmer is on, which is kind of useful.
20200324_100353.jpg

brentru

Wedgy is right about the heat and burn risk, except it'd be pretty hard to burn yourself with this annealing process if you exercise normal caution. No one should be reluctant to use the salt bath method. I use it and it's simple & effective. One suggestion - the temp controller built into the Lee melting pot doesn't control the temp very well, it allows temp swings over a pretty wide range, so I left the melting pot thermostat on high. I plugged the pot into a lamp dimmer (rheostat) and made a mark on it when I found just the right temp (I use 500 degrees C), and that holds a pretty consistent temp.
Or you could just build yourself a PID controller for about $100.

corsteve

annealeez is a good one have no problems just get the right size wheels an follow directions

Roninco

LRH Team Member
Wedgy is right about the heat and burn risk, except it'd be pretty hard to burn yourself with this annealing process if you exercise normal caution. No one should be reluctant to use the salt bath method. I use it and it's simple & effective. One suggestion - the temp controller built into the Lee melting pot doesn't control the temp very well, it allows temp swings over a pretty wide range, so I left the melting pot thermostat on high. I plugged the pot into a lamp dimmer (rheostat) and made a mark on it when I found just the right temp (I use 500 degrees C), and that holds a pretty consistent temp.
CAUTION: a lamp dimmer may not be rated for the wattage this heating element draws. You could be risking an electrical overheat condition and resulting fire. Check the power requirements and capabilities of all the components.

jpndave

One item to consider to reduce the weight is to short shank the barrel, if set backs aren’t a concern.
Here's my PID controlled setup.

Controller, relay, and hardware around $65, $120 total investment, including the Lee pot and salt.

Still working well a year and a few thousand anneals later. My pot is a corroded mess, but it still works fine.
I'd like to do a PID. I have the pot, salts, etc. just need to set it up but with all the horror stories about the controller haven't done it. I also need to make or buy a rack to set down in there.

Greasegun

If yer talking only a couple hundred cases, I am willing to run them on my AMP if you cover the shipping costs.
I just actually found a friend locally has an annealing machine, so Im going to take them there and aneal them. Very nice of you to offer. Thanks.

brentru

Anyone making the PID controllers already built for sale for this setup?
I didn't see any when I was researching my setup. Not hard to put together if you have some basic wiring knowledge. Absolutely go with the solid state relay for longevity.

Trending threads