Annealing vs not?

I hunted for forty plus years and bagged more game than I could count. I heard about annealing but never took the time to understand it. For many of those years, I probably fired less than 50 rounds a year, mostly for sight in prior to hunting season and then a handful of shots harvesting big game. Rarely killed anything over 300 yards. It worked. However, with my old age, I can't run them down anymore, and the opportunity to use current technology to make ethical kills at longer distances, I've become much more detailed in my reloading processes. Modern numerically controlled machine tools produce more consistent, higher quality hardware. I lived most of my life happy with a rifle and a load that could shoot a 2" group at 100 yards. Now, I'm not satisfied unless I'm shooting one hole groups at 100 yards. Improved optics availability coupled with better bullet technology along with better barrels changed the sport. Annealing yields tighter groups at long distance. Extreme spreads drop substantially with more consistent neck tension. I use a Bench Source annealer. It's OK, but I want an Annealing Made Perfect if I can afford one before I get too old to shoot. I think brass lasts longer, but that is opinion, I don't have data to back it up.

I've been shooting & hunting for over 40 years. I've shot groundhogs out to 1,000yds and biggame to 500yds. I've never annealed a case. While I see the benefits of annealing (if done correctly) I've never found it to be necessary to achieve the accuracy that I strive for. With careful load development and quality components, most of my rifles will shoot under 2" at 400yds, many shoot quite a bit better.

Buy quality components and just go shooting !!

30-80 reloads on brass??? Holy cow. That is amazing.

I anneal every firing. No matter the cartridge.

Have some 7RM brass with 11 firings. But I have about 300 pcs of brass, some with as little as twice fired.
I have about 430pcs of 6.5SLR brass, lost about 20 over time to primer pockets. Some have 10 firings, some have 5. 2800 rounds on the first barrel, another 500ish on the new barrel.
I have at least 200pcs of brass for every rifle I own, so getting 30-80 firings would take several barrels.
I have been shooting the same Nosler brass and Norma brass in my 7RM and actually rarely check for growth and don't really have much. I anneal on every shot and have worn out (badly) the first Lilja barrel and am working on a 30" Bartlin now. I would hate to say they have 40-50 reloads on them and I still shoot cloverleaf loads. At my local club I'm still holding the first place trophy for 5 years running now. So I would say they are still working great for me and I've only had 2-3 primer pockets open up and about 2 necks split and that was early on.

So if I decide to anneal , is the "Annealing Made Simple " ( or Annealing Made Easy ) machine the best way to go??? I think that's its name??? I've got some 270 Win Cases that are past #6 Reloading and some may be past #8 Reloading . I think its over due time??!!

Lets talk annealing. Lets say on like a 308 vs 7RM vs 6.5 PRC if you annealed every other shot how many more shot per round would you likely get? I know it would very but what you think the avg would be. Gun shop guy said in like 28 nosler you are only going to get 4 or 5 shots no matter what. 6.5 PRC 6-8 so he doesn't worry about annealing those rounds. But 308 if you anneal 60 shots is possible? I've never annealed I've loaded 270 at least 20 shots and still shot great groups, but in 7RM I always go new at 8 shots. Would annealing get me more shots in 6.5 PRC and 7RM?
William Trotter shoots both the 280 and 30-06 AI's and gets around 50 to 60 shots per casing. He anneals his brass, but I think its after about 3 uses. I think that the 7mm and 300 mags will go for 15 or 20 uses if you headspace on the shoulder and can size down to the belt. I'd like to see the .300 WM case Ackley Improved just to keep it from stretching at the belt. Then annealing would extend case life to 30 or 40 shots.

I have had the same questions and have no firm conclusions other than the annealing equipment can be expensive. I have decided to just live with what I have and not anneal
a propane torch and a hand drill
you may have both
the real issue is how long to get to the correct temp without over heating and only heating the shoullder neck juncture
I anneal every round I hunt with, and also use HBN in the necks. letting my ammo "sit" for a year
before firing troubles me, so I take every advantage available.
On the other hand, I shoot NBRSA.
We shoot the same 25 to 50 rounds all weekend and use the same brasss till the barrel is GONE, having never annealed a single case.
So if your ammo is gonna sit, take precautions. IMHO
but cost really isnt an issue for anyone that can afford to shoot.

I anneal every time you will not do any harm and it gives me consistent neck tension. With an annealing machine it takes only a few minutes to anneal 50 cases so why not. I have lost track of how many times I have reused my brass
well said
the primer pocckets are always the first thing to go lol

Annealing is nothing to do with case life, it's to do with consistency of neck tension,one of the most important things when trying to achieve long range accuracy.Case life is determined by charge weight and head space.
I wouldnt say "nothing"...it is an absolute after all.
Work hardening does make the brass more brittle and can cause neck splitting.

I hunted for forty plus years and bagged more game than I could count. I heard about annealing but never took the time to understand it. For many of those years, I probably fired less than 50 rounds a year, mostly for sight in prior to hunting season and then a handful of shots harvesting big game. Rarely killed anything over 300 yards. It worked. However, with my old age, I can't run them down anymore, and the opportunity to use current technology to make ethical kills at longer distances, I've become much more detailed in my reloading processes. Modern numerically controlled machine tools produce more consistent, higher quality hardware. I lived most of my life happy with a rifle and a load that could shoot a 2" group at 100 yards. Now, I'm not satisfied unless I'm shooting one hole groups at 100 yards. Improved optics availability coupled with better bullet technology along with better barrels changed the sport. Annealing yields tighter groups at long distance. Extreme spreads drop substantially with more consistent neck tension. I use a Bench Source annealer. It's OK, but I want an Annealing Made Perfect if I can afford one before I get too old to shoot. I think brass lasts longer, but that is opinion, I don't have data to back it up.
well said

Ok if annealing doesn't increase brass life in hotter rounds. And primer pockets go first. Then wouldn't it be much cheaper to use a lee factory crimper for consistent neck tension vs high cost annealing? I mean if you are only getting 8 shots or so before pocket goes, I light crimp should accomplish consistent neck tension and save lots of time and money?

Crimping is not tension.
And I don't see how crimping removes tension from play.

You may be crimped with high neck tension, or with low neck tension.
But tension has to be overcome to expand both the neck and that crimp(adding) to release a bullet.

If I did crimp, and I can see places where it's appropriate, I would set a very low neck tension.

So if I decide to anneal , is the "Annealing Made Simple " ( or Annealing Made Easy ) machine the best way to go??? I think that's its name??? I've got some 270 Win Cases that are past #6 Reloading and some may be past #8 Reloading . I think its over due time??!!
The Annealing Made Perfect (AMP) annealing machine could be what you are referring to. "Is it the best" could be debated. My research suggests that improper annealing is worse than no annealing so I purchased the AMP machine. The machine is too new to me to have an opinion as to how annealing will affect case life, neck tension, and accuracy. It is a quick process and hopefully beneficial.