Airline travel gun case

Alan Griffith

With my impending trip to the Wrangells, I've discovered that my current long gun case will not meet TSA standards as I've lost the keys, thus it cannot be locked. I quote TSA reg

"""All firearms must be declared to the air carrier during check-in at the ticket counter.
The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be carried in a locked, hard-sided container.
It is preferred that you provide the key or combination to the screener if it is necessary to open the case, and then remain present during screening to take back possession of the key after the case is cleared. If you are not present and the screener must open your case, the TSA and/or airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If this is unsuccessful, the case will not be placed on the plane since unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) are not permitted on aircraft due to Federal regulations. This shouldn't be the case, however, because you must accompany your firearm to screening.
Any ammunition transported must be securely packed in plastic, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition such as cardboard. Most airlines will accept the original box the ammunition was purchased in. (Check before you fly).

The ammunition may also be located in the same locked, hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it is properly packed as described above. Again, check before you fly though, as some airlines will insist ammunition travel in separate baggage."""

I've been perusing the Cabelas web site and since I have a Cabelas 32 miles from my house I can fix my problem. I do have a question which might be cheaper but might be frought with potential problems.

For my Army retirement 5 years ago, my fellow soldiers bought me a Browning travel vault for "take-down" shotguns, in which I place both my 12 SxS's for trips to South Dakota. I was thinking I could remove my fiberglass stock from the barreled action for the trip to and from Alaska. Once I arrive at the lodge we have to check our zeros anyway, I could simply reassemble the rilfe for the hunt and zero it at my nominal 100 yds. I could even use a torque wrench to return the action screws to the proper torque.

In addition, does anyone have knowledge of my CaseGuard 20-round plastic ammo boxes will meet TSA standards?

Your thoughts, please.

I have always had great success with the starlight brand of cases. Polymer case able to withstand the typical military standards for protection.

Alan,
I know some guys who do a lot of international hunts that do exactly what you propose. They have dufflebags that a hardcase fits into from below. They take their bolt rifles apart since the case is not long enough and reassemble when they get to the destination. If you take along a torque wrench like a Seekonk there isn't much reason your rifle will be very close to your zero. The smaller case will be much easier to handle in airports.
Good lluck with your hunt, I will be up there shortly also.
ian

+1 on the Pelican

If you get one get it with the built in wheels, makes life easy around the Airport.

As Meichele said "bag handler olympics" that no joke they will throw your gun around just like any other piece of baggage. My Pelican has battle scars to prove it. It's clocked some miles, Africa and also got lost on the way back from Wyoming in 2005. It showed up a day later with about a half dozen stickers on it after going coast to coast and several other places:D

Yes the 20 round Case Guards are fine, I like them because if you check more than one bag I like to split up my ammo. If they lose one bag some ammo will still get there.

I just sow a write up on this in american hunter last night.They tested about 10 brands.They ran over them,dunked them in water,ran a water hose on them for a long time and such,Some of the cheaper one's did rather well.but not all of them passed everytest.

Do you have an outfitter or someone you can accept the package on the other side? BATF allows you to ship it to yourself. This way you can avoid the baggage throwers and lost luggage, and if you send it early enough, you can verify that it has arrived at its destination before you leave.

If you find one that you think in industructable, get one more level above it. I have a friend who recently returned home from an African Safari, only to find his gun cases all but destroyed. According to my friend it appeared as if someone had used a hammer in an attempt to open the case and crushed one end completely. Thankfully his guns were not damaged.

Seems like you almost need to transport your guns in a safe and not just a case.

I have an SKB two-rifle model that hasn't been anywhere yet except the back of my pickup, but it sure seems tuff and I read great things about it when I was looking. It has TSA locks on it so you don't have to give them a key and it has wheels at one end. When I moved back to western Washington from Las Vegas I packed two rifles, Leica rangefinder, and Leupold spotting scope in it with plenty of space between them.

Gun Case

The September issue of NRA's American Hunter page 108 has an article where they tested various gun cases using six catagories. The Cabelas "Bullet Proof" three gun came out on top, with the Doskosport Gun Guard second. No suprise the Cabellas was the only aluminum one, the rest were plastic.
Dave

Google "Tuff-pak." On a recent hunting trip to So. Africa several of our group used these cases, and they are great. I've used one for several years.

They don't even look like gun cases, and you can pack lots of other stuff in them with the guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.