Affordable starter/donor rifle

I'd encourage you to take a look at Bergara. Their actions are a 700 clone but much smoother from the factory. The Ridge model has a #5 contour barrel on it and could be considered a little heavy depending on what you are doing with it. The stocks, from the factory, aren't that bad actually. They are a lot stiffer than what you might expect and if I'm not mistaken they have some type of bedding system built-in, don't quote me on that part. I don't know if they'd be considered budget friendly or not, that depends on the person I think. Good luck, can't go wrong with anything that's been mentioned I don't think.

Why not a Remington 700 ?
Good question, I guess because I didn't think I could "diy in the garage" like I could a savage. If I'm wrong, then a 700 would likely be a better option. My semi-custom that took me a Long time to get is built off a 700, but I bought a barrel blank and had a smith chamber and true the action (no idea whether or not it actually needed that). I just assumed that a savage is easier.

Last edited:
Switch barrel options have always grabbed my attention, although the barrel nut is often regarded as "ugly", it doesn't bother me at all. Savage is an easy DIY option but so is the Remage AND the Tikka switch barrel. The Rem 700 has an insane amount of upgradeable options and the Tikka isn't far behind. If it hasn't been mentioned yet, a switch barrel Encore or Bergara (CVA) Apex might be another option, I have the latter in .243 and 7-08 and both barrels shoot great.

I love teaching kids and young adults guncraft. I've taught all my kids since they were 9 or so. I gave my grandson a Savage 112 in .223 for his 10th birthday, Together we bedded his action, polished his trigger, adjusted his sights, etc. as he was learning his safety rules and learning to shoot. Next year I helped him mount and adjust a new scope (4-12x40). He was getting good with that rifle. The next year he went to .243 Rem 700 at 12; we went thru the learning all over again. Then I started teaching him to re-load his own ammo, and hunting deer with me. On his 14th birthday we got him a .270 Rem 700 stainless, which should last him a long time. He has learned a lot, and I'm very proud of him. I suggest that we start small and slow with our kids, and always be supportive with them. Teach them, and share with them in love, for they truly are our future!

I love teaching kids and young adults guncraft. I've taught all my kids since they were 9 or so. I gave my grandson a Savage 112 in .223 for his 10th birthday, Together we bedded his action, polished his trigger, adjusted his sights, etc. as he was learning his safety rules and learning to shoot. Next year I helped him mount and adjust a new scope (4-12x40). He was getting good with that rifle. The next year he went to .243 Rem 700 at 12; we went thru the learning all over again. Then I started teaching him to re-load his own ammo, and hunting deer with me. On his 14th birthday we got him a .270 Rem 700 stainless, which should last him a long time. He has learned a lot, and I'm very proud of him. I suggest that we start small and slow with our kids, and always be supportive with them. Teach them, and share with them in love, for they truly are our future!
This is awesome!

Thank you, sounds like a theme developing
I haven't had a lot of good things happen in the Savage world. They shoot good enough for a hunting rifle, but only out to no more than 300 yards. May have had something to do with the particular rifles. I have 3 Tikka's and all of them were sub moa out of the box. They don't cost that much more, or in some cases less than a Savage.

I have done both a savage Axis and the Ruger American u can't go wrong with either. With the axis . I started with the trigger put a timney in it. Then a bolt lift kit ( what a difference it makes in bolt operation for under 30 bucks. Changed the barrel and barrel nut . Good luck

I will be one of the oddballs and vote a Bergara, take advantage of all the Remington 700 platform upgrades out there. Good shooters too

Don't have experience with tikka but sounds like it could be a great start from reading other posts. Me, I've built a pile of savage rifles and feel they have plenty to offer a person. Change out bolt heads, barrels, stocks, and trigger with ease. There a several tricks you can do with the action to make it smoother etc. Lots you can do in the garage with minimal tools really. Below are some examples:
32C76DD0-DAC5-4337-9263-2C4DDE5BB2ED.jpeg
9F2E61AA-1701-4823-A4B0-D5DFF2E6A815.jpeg
BDC9D4D7-8B46-4F12-A73F-E5E381EB3861.jpeg
8872BE2C-1A5F-47C0-9792-D2B1FB1E2D33.jpeg
F2213324-31DF-4A51-95F0-D4C5EF31684D.jpeg

Those are some beautiful builds, thanks for sharing.
Don't have experience with tikka but sounds like it could be a great start from reading other posts. Me, I've built a pile of savage rifles and feel they have plenty to offer a person. Change out bolt heads, barrels, stocks, and trigger with ease. There a several tricks you can do with the action to make it smoother etc. Lots you can do in the garage with minimal tools really. Below are some examples:View attachment 419079View attachment 419084View attachment 419081View attachment 419082View attachment 419083those are some beautiful builds

Don't have experience with tikka but sounds like it could be a great start from reading other posts. Me, I've built a pile of savage rifles and feel they have plenty to offer a person. Change out bolt heads, barrels, stocks, and trigger with ease. There a several tricks you can do with the action to make it smoother etc. Lots you can do in the garage with minimal tools really. Below are some examples:View attachment 419079View attachment 419084View attachment 419081View attachment 419082View attachment 419083
Oh HELLYEAH! For supposedly an ugly rifles, they are a beauty. 👍

I have built rifles on both the Tikka and Axis actions.

If this is going to be a rifle he can eventually grow old with, then the Tikka easily gets my nod. Although the actions are more expensive than the Savage Axis, they are smooth as glass and have the ability to take shoulder pre-fit barrels you can install yourself. This feature alone will save you $300-$400 in gunsmithing when you want a custom barrel. I use my Tikka as a swap barrel rifle with CF barrels in both 6.5 PRC and 300 WSM. You can pick up used Tikkas for around $625 on gunbroker.

The Savage Axis is a great little rifle on its own. They tend to be accurate out of the box and very inexpensive. Cabelas/Bass Pro usually have a sale on them on Black Friday (you just missed it). With the Savage rebate, you will have a Savage Axiss II combo (cheap scope) out the door for right around $300. Bolt action can be a little rough - but can be worked on. Upgraded stocks are very limited (no high end stocks that I am aware of), but there are some mid-tier in polymer and wood laminate materials. Pre-fit barrels are available, but only the barrel nut conversion style that also require go/no go gauges. But this route still saves you a lot on gunsmitthing by swapping barrels at home. I did this several years back wih an Axis II in 243 that I converted to a 22 Creedmoor. Patriot Valley Arms SS barrel with a Boyds laminated stock. It will never measure up to my custom rifles, but it is a very accurate rifle.

The Savage 110 action is also an option, but getting into one via a donor rifle is getting up there in price that you are in striking distance of a Tikka used rifle. Send me a PM if you have more questions. I would be happy to share what I have learned.
Last couple Savage 110s I bought were $300.00 & under. And one is like new in 7MM Mag. I would love to find a Tikka action for that price range.

Tikka's do present a problem on aftermarket upgrades, but as their popularity increases, that may change some. I have three savage single shots with custom barrels on them, and they shoot with the best of the custom actions that I have.

Metric threads on any action present a problem on after-market barrels, don't let anyone blow smoke up your ying yang on this issue. I ran into the metric thread issue on a couple of Howa actions I had that I really like. Gunsmiths have to change the gears on their lathes for metric threads and most just will not do it.

There are guys that do metric, it is just that I like certain craftsmen that are hand on Rocket scientists. Old school matching techniques where a gunsmith checks a barrel's quality and spends the necessary time indicating the barrel in, checking his own work during the threading and chambering process pay big dividends when it comes to accuracy. I am no gunsmith, but I do know some gunsmiths that do this kind of work.

For a cheap build, I would go with Rem 783 as they have the fastest lock time and steel magazines. Trigger upgrade is available, and upgrade on the bolt handle. These 783's are a sleeping giant, and the 783's are unbelievably true machined actions, but aftermarket options are limited. Pawn shops will be your friend on the 783's. I have two 783's, 6.5 Creed with a Brux barrel and a 280 AI with X Caliber barrel, both shoot sub 3/8" with little effort. Both of these guns have Boyd's laminates on them, less than $1000 each in each rifle.

Last edited: