Advice on 6.5 factory production rifles for hunting

Why a creedmore? Ballistically, off modern actions, the .260, 6.5x55, and newby creed are within 50fps over any given load; I.E. identical. Ammo is readily available for all as well. The Swede has the hands-down advantage on hand loads, though. Being a long action, any bullet weight offered in .264 Cal can be loaded to any seat depth and still clear magazine wells; 160gr Sierra included.

As for rifles... I have a Rem 700 Classic, CZ 550 American, and a Tikka T3 L/H action Lilja barreled all in Swede. The Remington shoots Berger 140 hunters, Tikka Sierra 140 GK's both are half MOA shooters on 200yd zeros. Both ring 12" steel at 1000yds. I'm still looking for a 140gr load the CZ likes, HDY ELD-X is my next bullet to try in it. The Bergers and Sierra's would only get near 1.5MOA@200 trying seat depth variances and 5 powders charge weights ladder narrowed for nodal accuracy then 5 shot groupings at node charges.

I counted in Cabela less than a week ago.

20 different ammo the 6.5 CM
3 for the 260 rem
1 for the Swede

All the Walmart's Carry 6.5 cm ammo

You aren't going to walk into any store and always find ammo for the other 2.

I counted in Cabela less than a week ago.

20 different ammo the 6.5 CM
3 for the 260 rem
1 for the Swede

All the Walmart's Carry 6.5 cm ammo

You aren't going to walk into any store and always find ammo for the other 2.

True! They don't carry .260 Remington at my local bass pro!! :confused:

But they have an entire shelf dedicated to the 6.5 creedmoor.

I've been shooting the Remington since 1995. I've lived in WY, MT, WA, D.C., PA, and FL. I've found ammo for all 3 in all locations. Yeah, ya might have to go to a local store instead of a all- in- one box chain, but it CAN be found.

I bought a Browning ABII when they first came out with 6.5 Creedmoor, one of my vendors had them on sale for $425 added a couple of boxes of Hornady 129 SST, a Bushnell 2.5-16 Elite 6500, cleaned the trigger up a little and my first three were under .4. I left the gun alone after that, for a hunting rifle I don't need anything better. The Browning X- bolt Pro or Hells Canyon with McMillan stock would be my choice in your price range but the Tikka would also be a great choice for under 1k and use the other money toward a great scope. I have come to like the three lug 60 degree bolt design (Browning, Tikka and Curtis) over a two lug for clearing the scope on cycling, which is why I used a Curtis on my custom rifle pictured in my avatar, also a 6.5 Creedmoor. One thing I haven't seen posted is that since you're not buying the rifle for you, how a gun fits and feels is extremely important, as we all know, If one doesn't feel as one with his gun, it ain't the right gun for one. Take this person to a good store with a good selection of brands and models and see what fits, caliber at that moment is irrelevant. Cooper, Christensen and non off the shelf brands are more difficult unless you know someone with what your looking for. I lean a little toward Browning X-bolt because they have 26 inch barrels on several variants and 24 inch on others, this is meaningful if shooting longer distances where maximum available efficiency can come into play.

All my rifles for the past several years have been custom built so I have no idea what, if any, mass produced rifle is worth a darn these days.

I want to get a family member a decent hunting rifle in anything 6.5 (preferably Creedmoor) that has the best potential for accuracy. It doesn't have to be super cheap but would like to keep it under 2000 for the rifle alone. Also keep in mind I will be reloading for this one (since I have about 1200 Berger 140 Elite Hunters!). I was originally considering a used custom gun but I have a hard time buying anything I can't put my hands on first.

All opinions and experiences are welcome. Thanks!
i have a savage long range in 6.5x284 and it is a tack driver ! the price is right unless you step up to custo. for 3-5 thousand !

A mossberg Patriot 6.5 Creedmoor for about $350. Cheap price and shoots 1/2" @ 100yds. I have a Leupold on it that costs much more than the rifle.
I also own a Patriot in .300 win mag and a Weatherby ultralightweight in 6.5-.300 that shoots groups a bit larger than the Patriots, too.

From my influence group, I've heard that the 6.5 CM shoots very well in almost any platform. Lately though, the Ruger Americans/Predators are getting the hype.

Savage Long range hunter in 6.5x284. I have a takeoff barrel off of one of these that I put on a Savage 110 30-06 action, stagger feed, feeds great and shoots a 3 shot group in the .300's consistently, and will do 5 shots under 1/2", if let to cool between groups. I am running 142 SMK;s that are Danzac coated at 3080fps out of this barrel.

Remington 700 5R Gen II in .260 or 6.5 creedmoor!! Can get them for right at $900.

5R Rifling 1:8 twist
Fluted, Varmint contour Barrel
Ceracoated!!
Tactical bolt knob
Threaded
HS precision stock with two front sling swivels

Comes in at 8lbs!
I bought a Remington Hunter 260 Remington and really like it. looked at the Begara but I felt it seemed cheap. 260 and 6.5 Creedmore are very close ballisticly. The 140 gr shoots great all kinds of adjustments to fit and priced about $1000 . get a good scope. So many to choose from.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.