Advice on 6.5 factory production rifles for hunting

Why a creedmore? Ballistically, off modern actions, the .260, 6.5x55, and newby creed are within 50fps over any given load; I.E. identical. Ammo is readily available for all as well. The Swede has the hands-down advantage on hand loads, though. Being a long action, any bullet weight offered in .264 Cal can be loaded to any seat depth and still clear magazine wells; 160gr Sierra included.

As for rifles... I have a Rem 700 Classic, CZ 550 American, and a Tikka T3 L/H action Lilja barreled all in Swede. The Remington shoots Berger 140 hunters, Tikka Sierra 140 GK's both are half MOA shooters on 200yd zeros. Both ring 12" steel at 1000yds. I'm still looking for a 140gr load the CZ likes, HDY ELD-X is my next bullet to try in it. The Bergers and Sierra's would only get near 1.5MOA@200 trying seat depth variances and 5 powders charge weights ladder narrowed for nodal accuracy then 5 shot groupings at node charges.
Well........I have the dies for it, I have brass and bullets, a ton of H4350, easy to load for, factory ammo readily available if needed, seems to kill Texas whitetails just as good as any other 6.5.......Other than that, really no reason;)

For Christmas I received a Kimber 84M Hunter in 6.5 Creedmore. Attached Talley rings and a Vortex Razor Light Hunter scope. Whole combination is lighter than anything I have carried before (maybe more than a 10-22). What a joy to carry hunting. Guaranteed sub MOA out of the box. Used Hornady match ammo for the break in trial and it does indeed with an unbroken in barrel, shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yds. For less than $800 for the rifle and another $700 for the optics, I would be hard pressed to find anything that will be substantially better for my needs.

Thank you all for the input thus far.........Too many ---- choices:eek:

I have owned several Tikkas and they all shoot. I'm am in the process of building my first couple customs right now. I am enjoying sourcing parts and doing all the research into what I want and learning what I don't. Enjoy the process either way that's half the fun.

All my rifles for the past several years have been custom built so I have no idea what, if any, mass produced rifle is worth a darn these days.

I want to get a family member a decent hunting rifle in anything 6.5 (preferably Creedmoor) that has the best potential for accuracy. It doesn't have to be super cheap but would like to keep it under 2000 for the rifle alone. Also keep in mind I will be reloading for this one (since I have about 1200 Berger 140 Elite Hunters!). I was originally considering a used custom gun but I have a hard time buying anything I can't put my hands on first.

All opinions and experiences are welcome. Thanks!
I bought the browning xbolt hells canyon long range with the 26 " barrel a few months ago an I love it .only thing I dont like is the trigger . I'm getting a 1 3/4 group at 517 yards. With 140 grn Berger bullets reloads

This is a pic of a 3 shot group didn't have any more shells loaded up

Attachments

• 0113191625a.jpg
    0113191625a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 237
935908DA-24D3-4C0C-A3C9-87CDC9EBC755.jpeg
All my rifles for the past several years have been custom built so I have no idea what, if any, mass produced rifle is worth a darn these days.

I want to get a family member a decent hunting rifle in anything 6.5 (preferably Creedmoor) that has the best potential for accuracy. It doesn't have to be super cheap but would like to keep it under 2000 for the rifle alone. Also keep in mind I will be reloading for this one (since I have about 1200 Berger 140 Elite Hunters!). I was originally considering a used custom gun but I have a hard time buying anything I can't put my hands on first.

I haven't seen the Savage line of LR factory rifles mentioned here. Like you, I have several custom builds all in excess of $5-6 grand with the optics. I was in Sportsman Warehouse a couple months ago and picked up a Savage Mo. 110 Tactical in .308 for $675.00. (Impulse buy). Started playing with it and worked up a couple loads with the 168 and 175 Berger. It shoots like a dream. 3/8" to 1/2" 5 round groups at 100 all day long. Best at 200 was an 8 round group measured center to center at .756". I adjusted the Accu Stock to fit my measurements and the Accu Trigger at a tad over two lbs. (low as it would go) I'm not an Accu Trigger fan but will leave it as this will be basically a hunting rifle. Comes with a fluted barrel and detachable 5 and 10 round mag system. (Mag Pul mag) Savage makes this rifle in 6.5 Creedmore as well. Anyway, hope this helps. Bottom line is the action is smooth, triggers good, and most importantly the rifle really shoots. You may also want to look at the new Savage 110 High Country. It comes in the caliber you want and comes with spiral fluted barrel and bolt. I think it's priced a bit over $1,000. There are many factory rifles that perform very well now days. The factory low to medium cost rifle has come leaps and bounds the last couple years. I still love my five custom builds. Outstanding shooters and a second barrel on 3 of them. I have to admit playing with the Savage 110 Tactical has been a lot of fun and I was pleasantly surprised at the results. Good luck!

6.5 creedmoor

Attachments

• 0203191510a.jpg
    0203191510a.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 224
t6s035.jpg
[/IMG]
34eb0w2.jpg
[/IMG] I bought the kids a savage axis xp2 with accu trigger. Its pillar boyds stock surprised me. The scope came as a cheesy weaver with ballisticx retical I believe. Total $400.After using it a few times I pretty much took it over. Went and bought another. After 5 elk and pile of deer it pretty my much mine. The retical proved to be quick. Factory 143eldx is 100zero then 230, 330, 430, 630 onthe duplex.[close] my son was able to get his little elk with it no problem at 300yards. I took one elk @515yard and my brother took one @515. Working good not having lapua blow the spotter over with muzzle brake.
34eb0w2.jpg
264nar9.jpg
t6s035.jpg
[/IMG]
2my6pw3.jpg
[/IMG]

I am known as a 6.5 guru at the range for some reason. Everyone shows me their 6.5. Two rifles that appeal to me as lightweight hunters are the Weatherby Vanguard and the Kimber. In that order. The excellent JARD and Timney triggers are available for the Vanguard. I have my Vanguard at 24 ounces with the JARD. The Kimber has that excellent wing safety that blocks the firing pin. I would want my beginning hunting partners to hunt with that safety.

I have a 6.5 Creedmore heavy barrel 9 pound X-Bolt with JARD trigger (two pounds) for sale. The Browning barrels are better than any other factory barrel I have ever seen. I own custom barrels from Bartlein, Brux, Shilen, Kreiger, Hart, Lilja, McGowen, and probably some I can't think of.

I sold a SAKO Finnlight in 6.5 Creedmore because of the 4 pound trigger.

I have spent time with two Bergara 6.5 creedmore owners. Both did not like the trigger. It was the first thing they mentioned after I questioned: "How do you like your Bergara?" One of the Bergaras (a Ruger Precision look alike), the bolt shroud blew apart on the bench next to me. Fortunately the owner was wearing safety glasses. He said it was the second time that happened! He had sent the rifle to Bergara and got it back. It was not the first round of the day either. I shot a couple of his rounds in my 6.5 Creedmore, choronographing them for a pressure test. They were mild. Anyway, one of the most forgotten part of accuracy shooting is how smooth the spring and firing pin move inside the bolt. I had a look at the remains of the Bergara bolt. It was rough, lots of tool marks inside. No polishing here.

Remington 700 5R Gen II in .260 or 6.5 creedmoor!! Can get them for right at $900.

5R Rifling 1:8 twist
Fluted, Varmint contour Barrel
Ceracoated!!
Tactical bolt knob
Threaded
HS precision stock with two front sling swivels

Comes in at 8lbs!
Do you really trust Remington right now, I have heard the quality is lacking.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.