new 6.5-284 on way need advice for deer hunting

kweidner

I have a cooper phoenix on the way in 6.5x284. I am buying it from a gentleman who shoots F-class. The gun supposedly shoots best with 139 scenars. "1/4 MOA" I understand that these aren't what you want for hunting. I will be shooting less than 600 yds. Realistically less than 400 99% of the time. What bullet would you guys recommend for 100 to 180 pound whitetail? Also any load information you might find useful would be greatly appreciated.

I would try the 140 grain berger.
i have also used the 142 SMK with good success and the 140 A-Max has worked good for me.
My MV is from 2700-2775 though.
I use H-4350 for all three of mine and H-4831sc is another good powder for the cartridge

Last edited:
I bought some berger 115 vld for my 25-06.....

I haven't shot them at game yet. They do a heck of a job on the paper though! Any of these that you mentioned leave an exit wound? I have shot 52 gr Watson (benchrest) for the better part of two decades at these deer. My only complaint is there was NEVER an exit wound......Course never had to trail one either....All pretty much dropped in their tracks except one that went 20yds or so, and all shots were less than 200 yds. All of them were neck and head shots. I always insisted on a head or neck due to the fact I knew there would be no exit wound. If the deer around here get off the big clear cuts, they get in to some thick thick stuff. I would like, if possible leave an exit wound so I can boiler room them if need be. I am not so sure I can head shoot them past 200 yds thus my question.

Yes, I have exit wounds on all of the SMK's and the A-Max. I recommended the Bergers since I have seen them work great also in several different calibers (6.5, 7mm and 30).

I've killed several with a Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip from a 6.5mm wildcat @2,800fps, but I'd opt against that one at '284 velocities. You might consider a 130gr Scirocco or Barnes TSX. More robustly constructed. Also, something in the neighborhood of a 140gr spitzer from many manufacturers could do the trick for less $$$ than the 'premium' bullets.

I had no idea the Bergers would exit! That is awesome.....My 25-06 with 115 grain is 2750......I will get some 140 VLD for the 6.5x.284. Anyone else with suggestions? You guys are great!

I have the same rifle and it killed some deer very cleanly out to 620 yards with both Sierra Matchkings (142) and 140 AMAX. I also used 4350 and also 4831 short cut. One deer went twentyfive yards, the other three were dead in their tracks. The Phoenix is a fine rifle, I get sub 1/2" groups if I am up to shooting well enough. Consistent sub 1" but it will do better if I have my skills tuned up. Put a good scope on it and don't worry about bullet performance, those long bullets will kill deer.

I got the same exact gun as you and shoot 142gr. smk with 47grains of H4381. It prints .1-.2 at 100 if you do your part. Oh I seated the bullets 10thousandths off the lands. I used them on deer up to 300yrds and the deer died. As long as you put the bullet through a deers chest he will die.

6.5-284 loads

i would first try the load that worked so good for him. november "shooting times" has a bun ch of loads for the 6.5/284; the author used a cooper i would try those. my brother has a cooper ; on his first trip to the range with several different load he could not tell a difference in the loads at 100 yards all were one small hole. i would use wlr ; wlrm and 210m primers and lapua brass ( or nosler). i shoot both the 139 and 123 scenar out of my 6.5-284 with good result. i have never shot a deer with a match bullet. roninflag

you guys are killin me

I hope mine shoots one ragged hole no matter what I feed it. Crap.....I have only been lucky enough once in my life for that with a CZ550 varmint. Well really two if you consider my .22 bench gun. Course Tim Mcwhorter built that one. It better shoot one ragged hole! My CZ will eat anything and produce sub .5 It just ways almost 14 pounds without the scope not to mention the light 52 grainers. deadly as crap out to 300 yds though if the wind is right. .....I have wanted a cooper for a long time! Also wanted a 6.5 X.284 forever. Fear not as far as optics go I will be mounting one of my Swarovski scopes on it I'm pretty sure.......Maybe one of the Sightrons.....I have a couple days to figure it out. The man said it likes SMKs second best.... Maybe I'll give them a try.

+1 on the SMK's or Bergers. Haven't shot any deer with them but plenty of wild pigs out to 350yds and all were DRT.

I'd echo the loads using 140/142s and H4831 SC, I've already burned up one 6.5-284 barrel with these loads and am now working on another and it's worked great.

FWIW, I've shot Nosler 120 BTs to 3,500 in my 6.5-300 Wby with very good accuracy and have killed two deer with them at 300 yards. I'd guess terminal velocity was 2800 or so at 300. One was double-lunged through the ribs, the other was shot through the bones of both shoulders. Both bullets exited at 1-1/2" or more. I shot another one on the point of the near shoulder quartering on at about 120, got no exit and massive internal destruction. Terminal velocity was probably around 3,200.

Another for the 142 smk and 4831SC. I killed two deer with it last year, one head shot, then shot the other facing me while he was feeding at 330 yards. It entered at the base of the neck and hamburgered almost all of the internal organs. It didn't exit, but I didn't care, the deer spun around, then dropped. When I gutted the deer, it was like one giant bowl of soup. I could barely make out any organs!
I'm mad I sold that rifle!

.264 bullets

I think the Lapula 155 gr mega tip bullets are awesome.I shot two pronghorn at 350 yards hit them like a mack truck.It didnt tear much meat either.I also shot a hudge 8 point whitetail at 15 yards.They shot 3/8" out of my 264 win mags.I bought 1000 of these bullets I like them so much.They look like round nose but are actually pointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.