New and need advice on optics

ShinyShoes

I am brand new to long range hunting and have decided that I am going to upgrade my model 12 savage from a .243 into a .260 with a new barrel. But I have hit a road block and need some help about what riflescope I should purchase. The main two problems that I have are that I am 18 years old and a freshman in college (so money is limited) and that I do not know how to shoot scopes with target turrets yet. So here are my questions:

Would I be better off to buy a middle of the road scope with MOA style turrets and take a class to help me learn how to shoot long range? (I'm looking around the $600-800 range for a scope)
...or by a meduim priced scope and then put the kenton TTC turrets on and spend a lot of time down at the range?
My last question for this post: If I spend $800 for a scope and then put Kenton TTC turrets on it...would I be better off to just bite the bullet and buy the huskemaw for only a little bit more money...or what would be the easiest/best option to start out with?

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Sorry, can't help on the turret questions, as I'm on a similar route trying to figure what I need to get as well.

Just wanted to say it's great to see another fan of the .260. It's my favorite deer gun and am building one around that caliber too.

Best of luck,

iSnipe

Interesting, 260 Remington, you probably looking to shoot 600 – 700 yards although it 1000 yards capable just like .308 subsonic at 1K, just the energy is not the same at 1k, I wouldn't use it pass 700 yards on the deer size game, for such distance you don't need to go pass 16 or 18x the turrets I would use tactical, like on Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50mm Tactical Rifle Scope, or Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20x50mm Tactical, both scopes have max zoom in their 20's, well extra power never hurt. The Leupold Mark 4, 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M2 would be a better choice but it will break your bank

ShineyShoes,
Nikon BuckMaster 6-18X40. I use one on my .300WinMag and I am impressed to say the least. I've only shot it to 650yds so far but it has and is preforming flawlessly. Good glass for the money. JohnnyK.

How do you guys like Nikon's mildot, anyone used it before, I have Nikon with BDC I found it useless I rather dial…

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts