Need advice on a new Rangefinder

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by model70fan, Jan 29, 2011.

1. model70fan

model70fan Member

Im looking for a really good range finder that will accurately measure out to 1000 yards. I was looking for some advice on what to get. I was also wondering what suggestions anyone would have on a good ballistics program. I am just getting into this long range shooting and need any advice I can get.

2. JUDD

JUDD Well-Known Member

spend the money for a good rangefinder or you will regret it later...I would get a swaro or a leica for conistant 1k ranges.

The balistic program for a home computer or a Pocket PC?

3. jack1k

jack1k Active Member

If you don't need portability, get yourself a Barr&Stroud or Wild military rangefinder. They
    were going about 400-500 dollar for one in good condition. They will range a lot farther than
    anyone would shoot.

jack1k

4. model70fan

model70fan Member

No Im looking for a hand held range finder for hunting and I am looking for a program for my desk top and lap top

5. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  6. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

I think there are some really good range finder binoculars availbe for $3k.

For under $1k, the Leica CRF and Swarovski seem to get the highest marks.

I went with the CRF 1200 after reading a review comparing the two side by side in the field and have been very pleased. It allegedly has a slightly tighter beam width than the Swaro which is an advantage in some cases.

I have not tried the CRF 1600 nor the Swaro.

The new G7 is probably worth a look if it fits your budget. But, I don't know if people are using them in the field yet.

Get the best you can afford. You won't regret it.

7. MSLRHunter

MSLRHunter Well-Known Member

I have the leica 1600 and love it. I got it for 799, and I have ranged individual animals at 1350yds. As for the ballistics software, I am considering purchasing the bulletflight from Knights armament.

8. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

Nightforce NF Bal has been dead on accurate for me.

I like being able to export direct to Excell to customize and print my charts.

9. smoked

smoked Well-Known Member

if cost is a minimum for value, the bushnell elite 1500 is pretty good for the money but the optics are not close to the leica, i just got a dell x50 pocket pc and nightforce software but havent used it yet, also the caldwell wind meter is working out pretty good for low cost, if you have the dough, the rangemaster 1600 or the swaro, havent tried a kesterel but heard they are very good., i ranged a yote at 1117 yards with the bushnell , i barely missed so pretty sure its close cause at that range the rifle i was using is falling out of the sky.

10. 30-378-Roy

30-378-Roy Member

Ballistic Programs
    Knight Arms is my fav, then Ballistic FTE, i don't like iSnipe
    i got all 3 on my iPhone,
    bad data in will give you bad data out

11. Good

Good Well-Known Member

Not to hijack, but anyone have a program for Blackberry yet?