Need advice on a new Rangefinder

model70fan

Im looking for a really good range finder that will accurately measure out to 1000 yards. I was looking for some advice on what to get. I was also wondering what suggestions anyone would have on a good ballistics program. I am just getting into this long range shooting and need any advice I can get.

spend the money for a good rangefinder or you will regret it later...I would get a swaro or a leica for conistant 1k ranges.

The balistic program for a home computer or a Pocket PC?

If you don't need portability, get yourself a Barr&Stroud or Wild military rangefinder. They
were going about 400-500 dollar for one in good condition. They will range a lot farther than
anyone would shoot.

jack1k

I think there are some really good range finder binoculars availbe for $3k.

For under $1k, the Leica CRF and Swarovski seem to get the highest marks.

I went with the CRF 1200 after reading a review comparing the two side by side in the field and have been very pleased. It allegedly has a slightly tighter beam width than the Swaro which is an advantage in some cases.

I have not tried the CRF 1600 nor the Swaro.

The new G7 is probably worth a look if it fits your budget. But, I don't know if people are using them in the field yet.

Get the best you can afford. You won't regret it.

I have the leica 1600 and love it. I got it for 799, and I have ranged individual animals at 1350yds. As for the ballistics software, I am considering purchasing the bulletflight from Knights armament.

Nightforce NF Bal has been dead on accurate for me.

I like being able to export direct to Excell to customize and print my charts.

if cost is a minimum for value, the bushnell elite 1500 is pretty good for the money but the optics are not close to the leica, i just got a dell x50 pocket pc and nightforce software but havent used it yet, also the caldwell wind meter is working out pretty good for low cost, if you have the dough, the rangemaster 1600 or the swaro, havent tried a kesterel but heard they are very good., i ranged a yote at 1117 yards with the bushnell , i barely missed so pretty sure its close cause at that range the rifle i was using is falling out of the sky.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts