Advice on rifles!

matt_3479

I got a big interest in long range hunting and shooting about a year ago and have been practicing as much as i can with what i have. I currently have a good shooting factory remington 7mm mag and a good shooting factory browning 300. wsm. I ended up trying to set up the browning due to my lack of knowledge at the time and never decided to switch it over. My guns were taken a way a few months back and i will be getting them back in May and i cant wait!! It gives me the opportunity to start fresh and get practicing. My Browning 300. wsm will be all marked up and my little brother offered me money for it. So i have a few different options on my mind; i will be going to school in september (college) so most of my money is tied up right now but i have put a little aside for hunting and guns.

Option one: Sell the browning to my little brother and take the money i have and buy a remington or savage in a 300. win mag and set it up as my long range hunting rig. (love the 30. cal's for big game hunting) and when the money comes around fully custom it.

Option two: take the money from selling my browning to my brother and take that money and put what work i can into my 7mm and use that as my primary long range hunting/long range rig.

I had everything lined up with Kevin Cram to get my 7mm fully worked on and turned into a mid weight 300. win mag but when my guns got taken away (been gone for 5-6 months) i wasn't able to start that work. I then got accepted to college and the money went towards that because the guns weren't suppose to be able to come back for 1 year minimum. I wont be able to Custom my gun till after school now so i have to make the best with what i have and try my best.

I have a Vortex Viper PST that will be put on whichever route i go. I will be getting Nightforce rings and base when the guns come back and that is my start on optics. I dont have a lot of money to work with so if i went route one i was thinking of getting a 300. win mag in a Sendero and then a little bit of trigger work. If i stick with the 7mm then im going to need a little bit more work. not sure what though. some advice would be great!!

He ****ed his dad off... dad took the guns away to "teach him a lesson" in responsibility etc... :) I too have a son, and a daughter so ... I can read between those lines pretty good haha!

Hey read this:
The 7mm Practical. A Practical Magnum.

some really good info there that should settle your mind on the 7mm Vs. 30 Cal. questions. I am not pro 7mm or pro 30 Cal, just a shooting enthusiast who enjoys taking a well tuned TOOL out to poke critters and targets with on occasion.

Have a good one,
Gary

I actually wish my dad took my guns away. There was a huge family issue which got way out of hand and the cops had to get involved and because of the situation the cops took all my dads, all of mine and all of my little brothers guns. The worst part is, my little brother and myself weren't even home during it so we didn't even get a say in the matter so there shouldn't be any reason we cant get ours back! Either way, the rest of the family settled things and we can now get our guns back!! Family figured out there stuff and things are starting to look up finally for everyone! I know it sounds bad but it was just an unfortunate situation.

I was able to get 1 gun back early because it was interrupting with my late december deer hunt, and last week of waterfowl so i was able to get my browning maxus back thank god! I picked up a few extra shifts and purchased another rifle to hold me over till everything settled.

Now that they are coming home i want to get out and spend a day long range shooting! get out there practicing some more! after turkey season of course!

My advice would be to take the money from the browning and buy a savage 12 BVSS or VLP DBM in 300wsm, heavy laminate stock, 3" magazine, 26" heavy fluted barrel, and they shoot great.

I am located in southern Ontario but the main hunting trips I take are moose hunting in northern Ontario, caribou in northern Quebec and elk in Darby Montana. Shots will be within 800 yards every time!! No place to practice further, and where I moose hunt and caribou hunt, no shots are further then 700 generally speaking. Thick thick bush!!

sell all but the Remington and get it to a Benchrest gunsmith to true the action and install a Jewell trigger on it w/ a good after market stock and Krieger barrel in what ever caliber you want, you will not regret this one bit. You will have a rifle that'll shoot 1/2" at 200 yds I did and it does.

sell all but the Remington and get it to a Benchrest gunsmith to true the action and install a Jewell trigger on it w/ a good after market stock and Krieger barrel in what ever caliber you want, you will not regret this one bit. You will have a rifle that'll shoot 1/2" at 200 yds I did and it does.

^^^this.....also if ur on a budget then buying wsm ammo prolly ain't gonna suit u much

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.