Advice on factory 300WM

I have a Sako 85 finnlight I use for elk and deer in 300win Mag it shoots 185vld 3 shots at consistent 1/2 at 200yrds Mag is plenty long for any bullet in a 300 they have a classic Stainless that would be a really nice rifle triggers are nice! I have very high end custom rifles and my Sako is my go to gun. PS Montana rifle Co rifles are junk!!

Take a look at the Browning X-Bolt pro. It has a 1:8 twist barrel with a brake. Mine shoots 1 MOA with Hornady 165 GMX and 225 ELD.

Take a look at the Browning X-Bolt pro. It has a 1:8 twist barrel with a brake. Mine shoots 1 MOA with Hornady 165 GMX and 225 ELD.

My son has a Winchester Model 70 in .300 winmag we bought at Walmart on sale for $300.00. We put a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 at a cost of $200.00. I saw him hit a hog at 300 yards with it. His buddy took it to Colorado and harvested an elk and a Muley buck. The recoil is nasty but he drops a hog with it every year.

Lots of good factory guns will shoot really good. Espically if you reload the right way. Winchester, Remington, and I will Throw out another. See below. The thing is When u buy higher end guns (custom) and scope you really cut down on factory misses. But most of the time you can get a lot of money in it quickly. Figure out how far you talking about shoot, how much u hunt, and go from their. You can get a lot of money in custom guns as we all know.

The two guns I use the most is a old ruger m77 with a benchmark barrel on it that bench mark put on the gun. That gun out shoots me. Have a 1000 buck in the whole package.
Another factory gun is a
Steyr. I have a 30-06 that I use as my primary all around meat and potatoes gun. Shoot out to 500 yards and it shoot very good. I have some high end guns but that gun has killed an amazing number of game. It really likes flat base bullets like the hornady soft points. Those bullet alone will hold 3/4 group.

Guess what I'm getting at is I have others that is much higher end guns but those are the ones I pack around and beat up.
So spend a little or spend a lot. Good luck.

Looking for opinions on factory/semi-custom 300WM rifles. Which, why, and what kind of groups are you seeing with what loads, factory or reload? My criteria are simple

- Elk, Deer, Pronghorn, Bear, Etc
- Lightish weight for hiking 3-12 miles/day
- Wood stock (I just want one)
- Would like a twist fast enough to stabilize 200+gr projectiles, doesn't have to ideal for everything
- Preferably < $2500
- Typical distance inside of 600 yards

Thanks.
Tikka and savage make very accurate rifles at a reasonable price ! I personally prefer the sako rifle and have shot them for years with excellent results !

Would you mind elaborating on the Montana Rifle co statement?

I have a Sako 85 finnlight I use for elk and deer in 300win Mag it shoots 185vld 3 shots at consistent 1/2 at 200yrds Mag is plenty long for any bullet in a 300 they have a classic Stainless that would be a really nice rifle triggers are nice! I have very high end custom rifles and my Sako is my go to gun. PS Montana rifle Co rifles are junk!!

I'm very fond of the tikka hell's canyon speed. Only thing it doesn't have is the wood stock. I may also add that for your distance you may want to go lighter Bullets. The heavies only really shone at long range. Speed kills so if your inside 600 yards the lighter bullet will stay flatter and carry more speed. I recently switched from Berger 215 to the hammer hunters 181gr and don't feel disappointed. I have enough speed and accuracy in the bullet left to take game at 1070 yards and that's more than I need for that rifle.
I believe that's Browning Hell's Canyon Speed..is it not?

Looking for opinions on factory/semi-custom 300WM rifles. Which, why, and what kind of groups are you seeing with what loads, factory or reload? My criteria are simple

- Would like a twist fast enough to stabilize 200+gr projectiles, doesn't have to ideal for everything
- Preferably < $2500

Thanks.
With the price you put out you have a chance to buy darn near any factory 300 and a good portion of alot of semi customized. But the only piece of advice I'm going to offer with 56 years of hunting and collecting under my belt is this...if you want to hang this rifle on the wall..
By all means get a wood stock....they are beautiful....but if you are hunting ... please re-consider! There have been more than several occasions on my nice stocks getting a bad scratch when I darn near grabbed the gun by the barrel and wanted to break the stock off ( several weeks of anger management saved a few of them) and on my customs.. genuinely brought tears to my eyes! Nothing is worse than having a treasured weapon deteriorate before your eyes. And wood is subject to swelling and shrinkage which definitely can affect your accuracy!

- Preferably < $2500

Thanks.
If you insist on wood... Weatherby Lazermark...check it out and well under your price mark

With the price you put out you have a chance to buy darn near any factory 300 and a good portion of alot of semi customized. But the only piece of advice I'm going to offer with 56 years of hunting and collecting under my belt is this...if you want to hang this rifle on the wall..
By all means get a wood stock....they are beautiful....but if you are hunting ... please re-consider! There have been more than several occasions on my nice stocks getting a bad scratch when I darn near grabbed the gun by the barrel and wanted to break the stock off ( several weeks of anger management saved a few of them) and on my customs.. genuinely brought tears to my eyes! Nothing is worse than having a treasured weapon deteriorate before your eyes. And wood is subject to swelling and shrinkage which definitely can affect your accuracy!

Agree +1
My every day hunting guns are all good synthetic with a good foundation of bedding. Factory or custom. They either shoot great or get rid of em. Heck on my guns I use all the time I even spray paint the whole guy and use it for what it is. Sorta like a old truck. Scratches add character.
But they shoot with the reloads very surgically good.

Agree +1
My every day hunting guns are all good synthetic with a good foundation of bedding. Factory or custom. They either shoot great or get rid of em. Heck on my guns I use all the time I even spray paint the whole guy and use it for what it is. Sorta like a old truck. Scratches add character.
But they shoot with the reloads very surgically good.
Here, here....tool vs Art!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.