Advice on factory 300WM

jbail1

Looking for opinions on factory/semi-custom 300WM rifles. Which, why, and what kind of groups are you seeing with what loads, factory or reload? My criteria are simple

- Elk, Deer, Pronghorn, Bear, Etc
- Lightish weight for hiking 3-12 miles/day
- Wood stock (I just want one)
- Would like a twist fast enough to stabilize 200+gr projectiles, doesn't have to ideal for everything
- Preferably < $2500
- Typical distance inside of 600 yards

Thanks.

I'm very fond of the tikka hell's canyon speed. Only thing it doesn't have is the wood stock. I may also add that for your distance you may want to go lighter Bullets. The heavies only really shone at long range. Speed kills so if your inside 600 yards the lighter bullet will stay flatter and carry more speed. I recently switched from Berger 215 to the hammer hunters 181gr and don't feel disappointed. I have enough speed and accuracy in the bullet left to take game at 1070 yards and that's more than I need for that rifle.

Tikka T3X Hunter series has the wooden stock. 11 twist which would be fine for 165-180g bullets. Weighs 7lbs with 24.3" barrel.

I have a Savage 110 Long Range Hunter in 300WM. 26" factory barrel 1-10 twist. I replaced the Tupperware stock with a Boyd's Pro Varmint. I replaced the factory trigger springs with target springs which brought the pull down to 1.5#. I added an EGW Picatinny rail, SWFA SS 3-15 x 42 mil rad scope, SWFA rings.
I'm shooting 215 Berger Hybrids, Norma brass, h1000, CCI #250 primers at 2809 fps.
I paid less than $2,000.00 when all was said and done for the rifle. It puts 5 shots in under .75 moa.
Last season I used it to take a cow elk at 538yds

Last edited:
Aldon , I have to agree . We all like American made products . But I'm a Winchester fan period . I have 4 of the Winchester s that came from Portugal and I am so glad the Winchester model 70 is back

Thanks for the replies, folks. Does anyone have experience with the Sako 85, Weatherby MK V, or other higher end factories models?

I'm a big fan of Tikka and almost bought the Hunter model, but want to consider the more expensive offerings also, if they provide an accuracy or mechanical advantage.

If you like tikka you will love a Sako.
Not sure you will gain in the accuracy department but some super nice wood stocked Sako 85s can be found

In your price range you can build a full custom if you take your time and source parts as you find good deals. I just had a full custom Remington 700 (trued) put together with a proof research carbon barrel, over sized ptg lug, timney trigger, bedded into a bell and Carlson ultra light stock, cerakote barreled action with a vortex 4-16 diamondback hp Dnz game reaper mounts for $1800. Included all parts and smith work. It took a year to find everything. Best of luck.... tough to beat a match grade barrel for accuracy

Looking for opinions on factory/semi-custom 300WM rifles. Which, why, and what kind of groups are you seeing with what loads, factory or reload? My criteria are simple

- Elk, Deer, Pronghorn, Bear, Etc
- Lightish weight for hiking 3-12 miles/day
- Wood stock (I just want one)
- Would like a twist fast enough to stabilize 200+gr projectiles, doesn't have to ideal for everything
- Preferably < $2500
- Typical distance inside of 600 yards

Thanks.
Any major brand Remington or Winchester or the likes of. Shooters and duds among all of them. With that being said I've got a friend that has a Winchester 300 that will shoot as good as any custom gun out there. Stupid how it will shoot out to 900 yards. As far as semi custom. You can get some good ones for 2500 if you look around. People on this forum can really help you on that advice. Some good info on here.

Look at magazine box length. Some are longer than others. Keep that in mind on the gun especially if you want to reload.
I would personal stay away from the tikka and here is why.
I have a tikka in the 300. It's super light and kicks like a mule.
Second there is no reloading for it. The mag box is super short. U will not get the full capability of that round because u can't extend the bullet because of the mag box.

3rd it a 1:11 twist. If you wanted to shoot heavy rounds the 1:11 is a little lite in twist.

Now with that being said I bought mine for factory purpose loads only and I shoot 165 grain bullets and it's a fair enough gun for most people likening.

I have seen very consistent performance from the Remington 700 Milspec's. Fit, finish, and particularly the bore of these rifles are nicely done. While the factory HS Precision stock is very good, I replaced mine with a Mcmillan A3, along with a Timney trigger, and added a muzzle brake to the already threaded muzzle.
2D10597B-3D41-41EC-9FE9-6FD5D5FFE5E0.jpeg

A034B4A6-19E3-4531-92BC-4198A1B3B8A5.jpeg

I'd build it from scratch. Get your barrel (at least 1:10) from an aftermarket company. Suggest a CF barrel because the wood stock is going to add weight. Find a trued up 700 action and a quality Smith. Pick your stock with the proper LOP. Add the wyatt's box extender so you can load longer COAL.
Far better outcome than the factory gun option and still within your budget.

I wont build another magnum with a cf barrel. Just dont like the way it holds heat inside. You can get another shot or two before the scope blurs from barrel heat though. Just need one hunting. For that money i would choose between model 70 supergrade, sako 85, or remington custom shop. They are all fine rifles with different features and a different feel. Boils down to which one you like best. You can make any of those shoot well, and all have a wood stock, and are within your price range. Coopers are a little more and are on average a little more accurate. Any of those can be made to shoot well with a little tinkering though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.