Advice, Help W/Remington 700 SA modifications

I recently tried the 150 Berger TSX...first time I have used Berger but I found them for cheap at a gunshow 14 days ago.They shoot real well and load development only took 9 shells to find a sweet spot. I will give them a try hunting in the next 2 weeks
Cheap and gun show don't go together in my neck of the woods. Back to to the original post- I would replace the stock with what feels comfortable to you and bed it. Upgrade the trigger if you feel the need, but not until after you shoot it with the new stock. I like a step at a time on an already good shooter just to see what difference it made.

Cheap and gun show don't go together in my neck of the woods. Back to to the original post- I would replace the stock with what feels comfortable to you and bed it. Upgrade the trigger if you feel the need, but not until after you shoot it with the new stock. I like a step at a time on an already good shooter just to see what difference it made.
Well Red...cheap...in Canada generally means three times the price you pay!!! A box of 100 30 cal Barnes here just hit 169.00 at Canadian Bass Pro/Cabelas....albeit...I don't buy Barnes! Hammers if they get here are going to be 100.00+ for 50! And 50 cal ATIPS HORNADY are 3.25...EACH...and that was before the shortages hit!

140gr AB and 140 gr Hornady btsp shoot really well in my 270wsm Tikka. Son killed an elk last year with the Hornady bullets. Bullet performed well.
I bought a Timney trigger for Rem 700 last year and was very happy with the upgrade.

I have a older Remington 700 SA in 270WSM. The rifle is a shooter and has been with factory ammo. My groups are about 1/2 inch @ 100 yards with the occasional flyer. I want to put some money into this rifle and develop a load for it this winter, after hunting season. Im reaching out to the LRH crowd for help/ advice.
At this time I was looking for suggestions as to what stock would be best for the money. I would also like to hear a few thoughts as to what bullet, I have AB 140's and Berger 150's to test. Rifle will be used for hunting and is bone stock. Should I put a trigger, bolt spring, magazine plate, or what. What is a must with these rifles?

Thank you for any help/advice.
Im amazed at what mine is doing with factory ammo and all ive done is a 500 dollar stock and 65 dollar trigger

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210601-110909_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210601-110909_Samsung Internet.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 57
I recently tried the 150 Berger TSX...first time I have used Berger but I found them for cheap at a gunshow 14 days ago.They shoot real well and load development only took 9 shells to find a sweet spot. I will give them a try hunting in the next 2 weeks
Assuming you mean Barnes?

Im amazed at what mine is doing with factory ammo and all ive done is a 500 dollar stock and 65 dollar trigger
Nice setup. I agree with the factory ammo accuracy. I have been using Nosler 140 AB factory ammo.
I saved all my Nosler brass and bought Redding comp dies. I figured I already have the press, 120i, rcbs, bullets,powder, and primers. If my reloads work out I will be dumping several cases of the Nosler 140 AB ammo. For me, reloading is a blast and slightly better with the E.S.

The rifle is a proven shooter, so without doing any smith work at this time I'd just drop it in a composite stock of your liking, AG composite, JCS, McMillan, etc.
Swap out the trigger, & maybe a new optic.
Load up the bullets you have & try a couple powders & primers. Load up some Hammers for fun too. That'd be a fun
Winter project.
Looking at the AG C.A.T. in carbon fiber. Like most in the industry, they're about 12 plus weeks behind. So if I decide on one it could be under the Christmas tree. My neighbor has been using those Hammers and loves them.

Scope is and has been a Leupold VX6 HD 3.5x18 50mm.

Last edited:
Nice setup. I agree with the factory ammo accuracy. I have been using Nosler 140 AB factory ammo.
I saved all my Nosler brass and bought Redding comp dies. I figured I already have the press, 120i, rcbs, bullets,powder, and primers. If my reloads work out I will be dumping several cases of the Nosler 140 AB ammo. For me, reloading is a blast and slightly better with the E.S.
Thanks i do hunt with this rifle thou i wont be packing it for days through the mountains haha 180 grn Winchester and 180gr federal blu box crap are grouping way beyond my greatest expectations. I thought it was a pickey rifle when it was stock but with the modifications its providing to not realy care what i put through it so of course i can't wait to get some high quality ammo loaded and find out what it can really do. Im starting to thonk the mods didn't make it shoot better but rather helped me to shoot better

Well Red...cheap...in Canada generally means three times the price you pay!!! A box of 100 30 cal Barnes here just hit 169.00 at Canadian Bass Pro/Cabelas....albeit...I don't buy Barnes! Hammers if they get here are going to be 100.00+ for 50! And 50 cal ATIPS HORNADY are 3.25...EACH...and that was before the shortages hit!
Barnes are also $170 a box here in Australia. I was lucky and picked up a box of old stock at $130. 300RUM Barnes 165g TTSX.

To the OP, the best enhancement you could make is dropping in a Jewell trigger. All of my own custom 700's have them and they are a fantastic trigger.

Cheers.

It is a shooter. I wouldn't do anything "mechanical" to it as it works now.

Stock it, bed it, maybe paint, that is all it needs (but doesn't really).

You could just save your money and put it towards another one (custom).

Recent Posts