Advice, Help W/Remington 700 SA modifications

A guy named Bob

I have a older Remington 700 SA in 270WSM. The rifle is a shooter and has been with factory ammo. My groups are about 1/2 inch @ 100 yards with the occasional flyer. I want to put some money into this rifle and develop a load for it this winter, after hunting season. Im reaching out to the LRH crowd for help/ advice.
At this time I was looking for suggestions as to what stock would be best for the money. I would also like to hear a few thoughts as to what bullet, I have AB 140's and Berger 150's to test. Rifle will be used for hunting and is bone stock. Should I put a trigger, bolt spring, magazine plate, or what. What is a must with these rifles?

Thank you for any help/advice.

Honestly, with a bone stock factory rifle shooting factory ammo at 1/2" for 100 yards? I'd save your money and just buy more of that factory ammo!
The rifle is 15 years old and a great shooter, hunter. Thing is, I'm having a blast learning and building long range rifles along with load development. I just finished a 6.5 prc and want a new project. I cant stand the cheap factory stock on the 700 and I want to improve what I already have. I dont want to buy another rifle, yet. I want another project and this one is worth some mods.

Regarding hunting stock choice, I'm a fan of the Manners Elite Hunters. EH1'e EH2's are popular. I have the MCS-EH-TA for my 7Max build. Carbon Shell and Can get with DBM, mini chasis, adjustable cheek piece etc. check out Altus Shooting Solution. They get some in stock every now and again.

1735F1C0-D584-42FF-8B61-FF727161F5DB.jpeg

Since the 6.5 PRC you just finished is so close ballistically to the 270 wsm why don't you sell it and start buying parts to build the big brother to the 6.5 PRC. I've built both the 6.5 and 300 PRC and they have been very easy to get to shoot really well. 215 Berger's @ 3000 fps. make a nice long range combination.

The rifle is a proven shooter, so without doing any smith work at this time I'd just drop it in a composite stock of your liking, AG composite, JCS, McMillan, etc.
Swap out the trigger, & maybe a new optic.
Load up the bullets you have & try a couple powders & primers. Load up some Hammers for fun too. That'd be a fun
Winter project.

How well does your 270WSM feed with the factory mag box? Mine fed but not at all smoothly. I converted to a HS precision Gen 2 mag setup, a huge improvement when feeding short-fat cartridges. I also swapped out the stock for an HS precision and upgraded the trigger.

Since the 6.5 PRC you just finished is so close ballistically to the 270 wsm why don't you sell it and start buying parts to build the big brother to the 6.5 PRC. I've built both the 6.5 and 300 PRC and they have been very easy to get to shoot really well. 215 Berger's @ 3000 fps. make a nice long range combination.
I thought about that a while back. I decided against the idea for a few reasons. I own a M48 LR CF in 300WM that is a 1/4 minute rifle. I also read several reviews and videos regarding the 300WM vs 300PRC and found minimal difference.

How well does your 270WSM feed with the factory mag box? Mine fed but not at all smoothly. I converted to a HS precision Gen 2 mag setup, a huge improvement when feeding short-fat cartridges. I also swapped out the stock for an HS precision and upgraded the trigger.
The bullets feed well with no issues. That could change with seating depth during load development.

Thanks to all, this will give me some leads to research. I will be looking into buying from LRH sponsors before any others. Several of my components for the 6.5PRC build are sponsors.

I love 700's (& model 7's) Personally I'd just tune the trigger if it's the three screw type. There is plenty of info out there on the process. I say this having tuned several and I feel a Jewel or Timney, while extremely great triggers, aren't that much better than a tuned factory trigger considering the cost.
I'd definitely get a better stock, tune the trigger and as previously stated upgrade glass and or invest in components/equipment.

Last edited:
Update the stock to one of your liking and bed it. Upgrade your trigger as well. Personally, if it shoots well, that's about as far as I'd go (other than an optic). Once you start in on the action, you may just as well go custom and add a new barrel, and........ You get the idea. Have fun and keep us updated

I have a older Remington 700 SA in 270WSM. The rifle is a shooter and has been with factory ammo. My groups are about 1/2 inch @ 100 yards with the occasional flyer. I want to put some money into this rifle and develop a load for it this winter, after hunting season. Im reaching out to the LRH crowd for help/ advice.
At this time I was looking for suggestions as to what stock would be best for the money. I would also like to hear a few thoughts as to what bullet, I have AB 140's and Berger 150's to test. Rifle will be used for hunting and is bone stock. Should I put a trigger, bolt spring, magazine plate, or what. What is a must with these rifles?

Thank you for any help/advice.
I recently tried the 150 Berger TSX...first time I have used Berger but I found them for cheap at a gunshow 14 days ago.They shoot real well and load development only took 9 shells to find a sweet spot. I will give them a try hunting in the next 2 weeks