Help/advice remington long & short action

Bouieboy

I have a few custom rifles and I was about to make a change to one of them, but I've changed my mind. My new idea is to build another one. I am going to build a 300 wsm, but I don't want it as a short action. I want to be able to hand load at approx 3.00 COAL and feed the rounds into a drop box mag. Also, I don't want the stock half of the rifle to be as long as the standard model 700 in 300 rum (for example). Why, you ask...I'm not very tall and it's not a good fit for me holding a rifle so long. 2 of my custom rifles are remington model sevens (7mm-08 & 300 wsm). While I love my 7-08, I'm not happy with the 300. So, any suggestions to a particular receiver I should look for? I am getting the mcmillan A-3 sporter that it will drop in. The new barrel will be a fluted remington varmit contour (by obermeyer). I would appreciate some good input.

Why don't you look at some of the custom actions. Give their makers a call and run your ideas/concerns by them. Definace seems to be a favorite right now. BAT, Stiller, Surgeon (if you can find one).

You might want to call Surgeon and have a talk with them as they are building some 100% rifles right now. Maybe they can help you with your questions. If I had the coin I would have one of their .260.

Please report back.

I looked at most of the companies you mentioned and they all have high grade stuff. I also looked at brownell, they have remington factory actions for sell. Let me ask this...are all typical remington long actions the same size? for example: the 30-06, 7mm mag, and 300 win. The only comparison I can use at this time is the recommended c.o.a.l. for these calibers. Finally, unless I change my mind, I'm going to order a 7mm mag, or 300 win action and have the smith fit everything...what's your opinion?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.