REMINGTON SHORT ACTION ( Fiftydriver ????)

Randy338

It is a remington 700 short action factory chambered in 6.8mm Rem SPC with a 24 inch barrel in a factory HS stock
WHAT CALIBERS CAN I REBARREL TO.I would ike a 7WSM or a6.5-284 but I want it to be a repeater not a single shot??? would a 260REM work as a repeater maybe???

you really limit yourself to the info available when you ask for one person to respond

I'm not Kirby but I'll toss in my two cents.
The Short action Rem 700 are all the same size and can be made to work with any caliber , it just talke a little more work. In your case if your wanting to go up to the WSM cases then you will need to have the feed rails opened a little bit and the bolt face. I recomend that anybody building on a rem 700 action long or short use the longer Wyatt's extended box for the magazine that will allow you to seat you bullet out a little farther. In th case with the WSM and 285 case rounds they are a little longer than the 308 family that the SA was desgined for so if you plan on shooting realy long VLD style bullets then you may run into troubles with them fitting in your max box and being able to seat them way out to touch the lands a free up case space.
I'm not sure what your wanting your new caliber to do , just punch paper , deer ,varmints , what kind of range 500 max or out to 1000+yds.
I chose the 260 for several reasons for my new long range varmint and mid range deer. The 260 with a 26" barrel will run a 140gr A-max out at 2800 fps , that bullet and that velocity pretty much matches what a 300 Win mag will do with a 190gr Sierra match king with way less recoil and longer barrel life. If the 260 doesen't give you the velocity ro range you want then you can always rechamber to 6.5-284 or 6.5WSM. If you look at the 260 with 140gr class match bullets and compair it to the 308 with 168-170gr bullets the 260 smokes it in wind drift , bullet drop and down range energy. My longest shot on a big game critter was 618yds with a 308 and factory loaded 175gr Black Hills ammo and the performance was great so I'm planning to use the 260 on deer out to 600yds with confidance and hopfully get a 1000+yd varmint with it.

You will have to change the bolt for any other caliber or you can have it opened up for a 308 size case.
The 30 Rem is the only other caliber(other than any wildcats)that will work with that bolt size.

I personally do not like the idea of converting a receiver set up for a small round to a significantly fatter round. That is unless you use a centerfeed magazine box which solves alot of feeding issues. The WSM would be my main concern. they do not always feed well in rifles actually designed for them but in a receiver set up for this very small round, there can be even more problems. Not that it is not possible, it certainly is but there are much easier ways to skin a cat!!

Also, the two rounds you list are about the longest of the short action rounds. There is a reason that Remington came out with the SAUM rounds, they are shorter and fit the Rem 700 much better then the WSM.

If you plan on using the LR bullets that most on this site like to use, it is very difficult to set up a rifle to accept ammo as a repeater and still seat the bullets close to the lands. It generally takes an extremely short throat to do so, even with some of the stretched magazine boxes. As such there is a liability issue concerning the issue of factory ammo making its way into a very short throated rifle.

Unless you have the 6.8 SPC receiver, I would never recommend buying one just to convert it to a larger caliber. There are so many out there already set up properly for the WSM that only need accurizing which will save you a load of money in the end.

Just my opinion. If you have the SPC already, it is certainly possible but needs some special things to make it work well.

Good Shooting,

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi MArried MAn if you have to go the Magnum route i would get a centre feed mag box and get a 6.5 Rem SAUM and have the factory barrel rechambered to it or go with a 260 or 260AI and have the bolt opened slightly and the mag box changed and the 260 is an easy modification to your rifle. I would use the factory barrel as they are fairly accurate. I have a 6.8 SPC here that i am finishing an article on it is the Police LTR and has a 20" barrel the load i am using will give you just over 2600fps with the 135gr Sierra MAtchKings and i have shot it to 1000 yards and it is equivelent to an 80gr Sierra at 2950 in a 223 target rifle at 1000 yards or even a 308 with 155gr projectile at 2850fps foe wind drift and drop.

For shooting to 600 yards it is a beautifull cartrige i would not be changing the calibre i would use it for your short range rifle and then get a larger rifle for the longs.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Hi if it was the first rifle ever produced or the first of the aniversary 30-06 rifles i would say it would be worth extra but first of a particular calibre that their have always been other calibres it realy is not worth any more than the 500th one built.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I did mix it up a little the 260 will not work it is a 270 so a 7mm 08 necked to 277 or an improved version would work in the 6.8 barrel basicaly a .270 short use the 135gr Sierra and you will have a nice round with the .277/08AI that will be very close to the performance of a 270Win for dies use 7mm08AI bushing dies with a smaler bushing in it and get a 6.8SPC competition seating die and run the chamber reamer into it. if you have troubles with reamers a 243AI reamer with a .277 bushing will do the bushing and a 270 Win reamer will do the neck and throat without needing other dies. You can then neck up 243 cases or neck down 308 cases or 7mm08 cases to use the barrel.

I would just use the 6.8 as it is because it is an awsome little rifle by the way the powder i am using for the 135gr projectiles is Benchmark. The listed loads in handloading guides are for AR15 pressures so they are easy to increase on with safety on a remington action and i have found the rifle i tested to shoot under MOA to 1000 yards.
Other projectiles you can use are Richards Wildcat projectiles around 130gr to 150 if a larger case is used.
Sorry about the brain fade on bore diameters.

Also if i did not have my 6mmBR for my short range rifle i would definately purchase this rifle as i believe it is a much better and versitile calibre than the likes of a 223. The only mod i would do besides bedding as the trigger is already adjusted is to lengthen the magazine box by removing the block in the back that is the same on a 223. When i build 6X45's or 223's for heavy projectiles i remove the block and spot weld in its place a 1/4" piece of plate to lengthen the mag box i then space the mag spring back asewll so it feeds reliably. i would do the same to this one as when the 135gr projectiles are seated to the lande they are single shot only. when using 130gr spire points i filed the lead back to the jacket and they feed through the mag perfectly and were dinamite on feral pigs, down to kangaroo culling they were bulk PMC and shot 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards this rifle calibre combination will also fire the 90gr hollow points close to 3100fps.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Marriedman,would you like to sell that gun? you could make some money on it and get one that's more suited to what you want.let me know what you want for it and how it shows it's #1 of whatever.not trying to be a smarty, i just know it would be a shame and a loss of money to alter that gun.

Gun is gone....Another guy wanted it....it was not #1 there was 500 first production guns ran..it was within the 500 ...HV rem barrel- they all are labeled this on the barrels next to the caliber from remmy

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.