Remington 700 modifications?

EGCKillshot

Hi guys im new here! I am a huge gun nut but i am young and still learning the ropes. I just had surgery on my ACL on wednesday so as i was sitting there resting looking at my remington 700, i decided i wanted to make some changes to it. Ive spent lots of time looking up different things and im pretty sure everything listed will work but i just want a confirmation.

Okay so heres my current setup. I have a stock Remington 700 XCR II chambered in .270. I have a 3x-9x carl Zeiss scope and a Harris bipod installed.

First question- .270 is long chamber correct?

Okay i want to remove my current stock, buy this stock then paint it camo using krylon camo paint and then install the new stock to my 700.

2nd question- Will that stock work well with my 700?

Based on what ive seen BDL means it has a hinged floorplate and ADL means it has a magazine type mechanism.
3rd question- My 700 has the hinged floorplate so would i need to get the BDL stock correct? because the choate stock is available in BDL and ADL. If i wanted to convert it to a magazine how would i do this?

Next i want to buy this stock pack. No questions on that.

Lastly can i use a swivel stud to pictanny rail adapter on the side swivel stud to install a laser/flashlight if wanted?

What do you guys think of that build? Any recommendations or advice for me? I know how to take apart the remington 700, its fairly easy to as well.

Also just curious does anyone have an accurate ballistics chart for the .270 bullet, either grain?

Yes, the 270 is typically a long action firearm. Same thing as 30-06 and 25-06.

Sounds like that stock will bolt right in.

Remington BDL is usually a hinged floorplate bottom drop style of magazine.
ADL's I've seen were blind magazines, but perhaps they would accomodate a detachable?? Unknown for sure on that.

Yes, the 270 is typically a long action firearm. Same thing as 30-06 and 25-06.

Sounds like that stock will bolt right in.

Remington BDL is usually a hinged floorplate bottom drop style of magazine.
ADL's I've seen were blind magazines, but perhaps they would accomodate a detachable?? Unknown for sure on that.

Thank you for your reply, ive done a bit more research and i found that a removable mag is an extra $250 or so, so ive decided just to stay with the hinged plate. I found another really cool stock but it was short action so i couldnt use it. So far im sticking with the choate stock.

I personally much prefer the BDL style of magazine over the detachables.

Detachables limit us on our overall loaded lengths and they can and do get bent or lost easily. They take up more room in the gun (generally 3 rounds fit in a detach when 4 will fit in a BDL) and the detach sticks out the bottom further.

as the throat wears out in the rifle from shooting it alot, some loads need longer OAL's to still shoot best. With the BDL, we can seat them out pretty far........not so with alot of detachables.

I also feel that ammo feeding in a remmy action is smoother out of a BDL style.

IMO, good choice to stick with what you've got. Even if the money weren't a concern.

Good Luck on the project:)

I personally much prefer the BDL style of magazine over the detachables.

Detachables limit us on our overall loaded lengths and they can and do get bent or lost easily. They take up more room in the gun (generally 3 rounds fit in a detach when 4 will fit in a BDL) and the detach sticks out the bottom further.

as the throat wears out in the rifle from shooting it alot, some loads need longer OAL's to still shoot best. With the BDL, we can seat them out pretty far........not so with alot of detachables.

I also feel that ammo feeding in a remmy action is smoother out of a BDL style.

IMO, good choice to stick with what you've got. Even if the money weren't a concern.

Good Luck on the project:)
Very helpful advice! I cant wait to get started on this. I think ill order everything tomorrow. Im going to have to practice my painting techniques too.

I decided to stop upgrading this in order to upgrade my rifle.
IMG_1910.jpg

Building computer rigs gets to be a very expensive hobby :D

sir-
the .270 is 1/2" inch longer than the .243 and .308. same-same as the .25-06 and .30-06. action/ barrel and stock is know as "LA". from there, youve got 3 different shell placements. 700ADL- shell in stock. sort of the cheaper type of 700. most generally 3 screw to mount the stock/action/barrel. next is a
700BDL- removeable floorplate. it takes 2 screws to mount the actio/barrel with the stock/floorplate. last, the 700xxx(I dont remember the letters) with the removeable shells in a package.
so, what youve got is a model 700BDL with an LA stock, .270 caliber.
good luck.

I would say the upgrades you make really depend on what you are using the rifle for. If it is a bench gun, you can look in to getting a heavier stock because you won't need to lug it around with you. I guessing the stock you listed will accept the .270 just fine, I would however check to make sure it fits your guns barrel contour.

If you are using it for hunting, the little pack you have will come in handy for rounds, ballistic chart, ear plugs, and whatever else you feel is an absolute to have near your gun and not forgotten in your pack when you are putting a stock on something.

I would not entertain the idea or mounting a laser or flashlight on the gun. You are never going to use them on a .270 unless u are night hunting Yotes and Hogs. You can take that $$ you were going to put towards the light, laser, pack and rail, and put it towards things like a good base a ring set up, or a higher magnification scope (if it fits your needs). There is a lot more you can do to your gun besides the tacticool route. You can have a muzzle break put on, have the action worked on, have the stock bedded, get the entire gun painted, things like that.

Very Good points BearDog.

There is a vast difference between LR killin and SR Tactical uses.

OP, were you thinking of long range shots, or short range tactical situations.??

I've always assumed the questions on this site were directed toward LR and precision rather than SR and multi shot firepower.
That assumption was behind most of my reasoning supporting the BDL mag vs. the detachable. If you really want SR firepower, you probably need to look into the AR (semi-auto) variants with the doublestack magazines.....they are alot more reliable than the single stacks that have been "adopted" into some bolt action rifles these days.

The 270 (bolt or single shot or semi-auto) really isn't by any standards considered a SR tactical weapon.......too much recoil and target penetration. Also, too much time and effort required to get it back into battery extremely quick for follow up shots on our targets.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.