Action for 33xc build

@rpierce curious if you've ever inspected a KSLR action from KS Arms? I'd like to hear your opinion.
As a Canadian they look enticing. I'd love a BAT or Borden but the wait times and import hassle kinda puts the brakes on for me.

To be honest, I absolutely love the .338 caliber; I had a 338 win mag, and now have a 33 Nosler. I was going to contact Kirby Allen about a 338 Allen Mag, as I have been drooling over those for a few years now, but ordering a complete custom rifle is a little outside my means right now. Doing it this way, I can buy parts as I have money and make sure I get the parts I want. I would be using it for semi-long range hunting and shooting at targets as far away as I can, as my ability to do so progresses.
To honestly answer your question, I just really like any hotrod rounds, especially in .338.

I believe Kirby has a wait time and is not completely opposed to using your parts, maybe chat with him and go from there. If you want a hot rod that's the way to go….maybe he can chime in @Fiftydriver
Kirby has worked well with me on a project where I supplied the components. He's fair with his pricing. Worth reaching out to him. Try a PM to @Fiftydriver or send an email direct.

Another option is a Pierce 800 series action. It's 1.45" diameter receiver .800" diameter bolt with huge lugs. The tenon is 1.1875 x 16. I would go chrome moly steel and coated not nitrided, if utmost strength is your goal in the action. In my opinion the Pierce is the precision of the Borden Bigfoot and a step up in strength.

You'll need to call the shop to get more details because I don't think there's any info on their website for it.
IMG_20190109_173237306.jpeg

Another option is a Pierce 800 series action. It's 1.45" diameter receiver .800" diameter bolt with huge lugs. The tenon is 1.875 x 16. I would go chrome moly steel and coated not nitrided, if utmost strength is your goal in the action. In my opinion the Pierce is the precision of the Borden Bigfoot and a step up in strength.

You'll need to call the shop to get more details because I don't think there's any info on their website for it.
View attachment 492206
I forgot about Pierce's big actions. That is another great option. As a side note. I have no affiliation with them despite my last name. Theyre a separate company. People get us confused all the time. I do buy quite a few actions from them.

Last edited:
The American Rifle Company Coup de Grace has a Lapua bolt head as an option, but only 1.0625-20 UN 2B action threads. Would you say that is suitable for a 338 lapua but not a 33xc or 37xc? Eventually I'd like to have a 37xc but really like the flexibility and price of that action

The American Rifle Company Coup de Grace has a Lapua bolt head as an option, but only 1.0625-20 UN 2B action threads. Would you say that is suitable for a 338 lapua but not a 33xc or 37xc? Eventually I'd like to have a 37xc but really like the flexibility and price of that action
I would not consider the CDG for a Lapua sized cartridge…or any magnum for that matter. I'm not saying the action isn't strong enough to handle it but that particular action is really designed around being able to use AIAW (double stack double feed) magazines. I think it's a great action and certainly a step up from an Accuracy International and the only action I'm aware of designed to use the AW magazine. I plan to own one but I wouldn't build anything off it that can't run in an AW magazine.

CDX-40 SHDW Action
1694099337221.png

The CDX-40 SHDW action is designed to withstand the extreme needs of military and ELR shooters for the 375 EnABELR, 375/408 CT class of ammunition. With its 1.60" diameter and 10" length, this action can handle the heaviest barrels out there. The bolt features a 3-lug design with an oversized extractor and double ejectors to insure solid lock up and consistent ejections every time. The CDX-40 is designed to feed on a Cadex magazine making for fast follow-up shots at extreme distances. Actions come with a 20 MOA rail secured by 10-32 oversized screws and machined in a recoil lug to prevent any movement. The CDX-40 action is a proprietary Cadex footprint, we do offer CDX-40 bottom metal for traditional stocks as well.

1694098575457.jpeg

• Machining: CNC
  • Length: 10″
  • Diameter: 1.600″
  • Thread: 1 3/16″-18 tpi
  • Hardness: 41-43 HRC
  • .350″ hardened steel recoil lug
  • Heavy duty 10-32 top rail screws
  • 20 MOA stainless steel Picatinny rail
  • Cadex propriety heavy duty bolt stop and pin
  • Unique top rail localization system with integrated recoil groove machined into the action upper section
  • Magazine cut-out: Cadex SSSF or DSSF
  • Cadex propriety footprint
  • Compatible with the Cadex DX2 EVO trigger or some Rem style
    aftermarket triggers
  • Deep laser engraving markings
  • Cerakote finish

I'm going to have either a 33xc or 37xc built in the very near future. After lots of research and a lengthy conversation with my gunsmith, I decided to go with a Borden Big Foot.

These are the cartridges they chamber for:

CHAMBERINGS

+ .300 PRC + 7mm PRC + .300 Norma Magnum + .338 Lapua Magnum

hqdefault.jpg

I prefer an action which is a little more stout. The XC is just not a mild mannered cartridge meant for gentlemanly sport. Principally it's an ELR competition cartridge although I'm sure there are some hunters wanting bigger and better.

Before the new owner took over, I was using the Defiance actions, no more. I was also using the Barnard Magnum action but I can't get them any more. Surgeon makes an excellent action for these large cartridges, 1581 XL. Probably the most common action though is the Stiller: Tac 338 (Lapua, etc) and the Tac Driver (408 Chey Tac) because of their price point. BAT is considered to be the best and most prestigious. I use these occasionally... JJ Rock makes a super big action but they aren't taking orders just yet. Overwhelmed with orders.

There are others, I'm sure, but these come mind quickly.

Enjoy the process!

:)
what are your thoughts on the pierce 10x titanium for a 33xc build? I am hoping it is suitable as I have one that I planned to build a 33xc on.