Savage action Budget build for hobby

stanley52

Ok so I'm thinking about building a rifle myself just for the sake of saying I did it off either a Stevens or savage action, whatever I can find cheapest. Can I reasonably expect sub-MOA or close to 1/2 MOA performance? The components that will be used are perfectly capable of it in a blueprinted 700 or any other custom action, my concern is the prefit barrels and the savage/Stevens action. I understand they having a floating bolt head which helps this, and I get how all that works, but without any smithing at all will they be good to go still?

B&C or HS precision Stock (will be glass bedded too)
Aftermarket recoil lug
Timney Trigger
Lotha Walther/shilen/criterion prefit barrel

Ok so I'm thinking about building a rifle myself just for the sake of saying I did it off either a Stevens or savage action, whatever I can find cheapest. Can I reasonably expect sub-MOA or close to 1/2 MOA performance? The components that will be used are perfectly capable of it in a blueprinted 700 or any other custom action, my concern is the prefit barrels and the savage/Stevens action. I understand they having a floating bolt head which helps this, and I get how all that works, but without any smithing at all will they be good to go still?

B&C or HS precision Stock (will be glass bedded too)
Aftermarket recoil lug
Timney Trigger
Lotha Walther/shilen/criterion prefit barrel

The short answer is yes, esp. when you handload.

ADDED:

Check out this factory rifle >>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVMCBEe0E_4#t=22

Last edited:
I just finished load development today on my 280AI which is my first do-it-yourself rifle. Savage 111 for the action, RifleBasix SAV2 trigger, Vortex Viper HSLR FFP in Burris rings on a 20moa rail, PacNor 26 inch, 6 contour barrel with brake from JP Industries, in a Boyds Tacticool stock. 168 Berger VLDs @ 2912fps, 0.338" @ 100 yards. In other words, YES. You can build an accurate rifle on a savage action. My 6.5/284 on a savage 111 (professionally built last year) put its first 3 rounds @ 500 yards into less than an inch.

Attachments

• Breaking in the 280AI 001.JPG
    Breaking in the 280AI 001.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 500 yd Savage 6.5-284 9.2.13 004.jpg
    500 yd Savage 6.5-284 9.2.13 004.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 138
  • first shots savage 028.jpg
    first shots savage 028.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 158
P.S. If you haven't already, read Jerry Teo's article on budget built long range rifles, and read the discussion threads attached. All your questions answered.

Jerry Teo put together my 338-06AI for me a couple years ago and couldn't be happier with it.
Savage 111 action
McGowan prefit 26" barrel, heavy magnum contour
Timney trigger
Vortex Viper 4-12
Total cost was maybe $1200, including scope, Redding dies were another $125. Currently shooting 210gr TTSX (2850fps) into 1/2"-5/8" groups @ 100. Am able to take them up higher, but 2850 seems to be their "happy place". The only drawback in using the Savage I can see is the poor selection of stocks available up here in Canada.

Considering building a 260 on one of my Savage Axis', but they (243 and 7mm-08) are too accurate to pull apart??

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.