Action for 33xc build

These are the cartridges they chamber for:

CHAMBERINGS

+ .300 PRC + 7mm PRC + .300 Norma Magnum + .338 Lapua Magnum

hqdefault.jpg

I prefer an action which is a little more stout. The XC is just not a mild mannered cartridge meant for gentlemanly sport. Principally it's an ELR competition cartridge although I'm sure there are some hunters wanting bigger and better.

Before the new owner took over, I was using the Defiance actions, no more. I was also using the Barnard Magnum action but I can't get them any more. Surgeon makes an excellent action for these large cartridges, 1581 XL. Probably the most common action though is the Stiller: Tac 338 (Lapua, etc) and the Tac Driver (408 Chey Tac) because of their price point. BAT is considered to be the best and most prestigious. I use these occasionally... JJ Rock makes a super big action but they aren't taking orders just yet. Overwhelmed with orders.

There are others, I'm sure, but these come mind quickly.

Enjoy the process!

:)

1581 XL ACTION REPEATER
Measuring in at 1.450" wide and 9.5" long, the 1581XL action is the largest of the Surgeon line of actions. It comes with a full-length 30 MOA integral 1913 MIL-STD Picatinny rail, a huge .450" integral recoil lug, and a large 1-1/8" x 16 tenon thread, which requires the use of a 1.350" diameter barrel.

Stiller Tac 338 uses a 1.125-16 threaded tenon.

Stiller Tac Driver uses the 1.1875-16 threaded tenon.

JJ Rock XL is 1.1875-18 threaded tenon.

What's you goal with this?

33XC wouldn't be top of my list behind several smaller and less powerful cartridges that work better in lightweight repeaters. But if you're looking for a big honking 338 and are set on the 33XC, rock on.

Mine is a Bat Model M, 1.47" multi-flat. Bought it from a member here, but the Model M was what I had been looking for before buying it as part of a complete rifle.

Comparing a Defiance Rebel SS (1.350"), Savage 12 Magnum Target (1.350"), and the Model M side by side (all with the correct .585 bolt face size for 33XC) to me there's no question the Bat is the one most suitable for it. I'd rank the Nanook one step below my Rebel since it's only available with a bottom cut (per the website I pulled up today at least), that takes a lot of stiffness out of the action. For no gain to me, I wouldn't even try to feed it.

Stiller Tac Driver was the other action on my list, it was always backordered so I never got to touch one whereas I've handled Bats before. Never saw the Surgeon, that's a nice looking action though. IMO Bat is the answer, with a stock from McMillan. Fits my general feel for how a rifle should look and run.

All of that said....... I fully support anyone making a big boomer, and @rpierce put a 33XC into a 14.5# hunting rifle that is amazing looking:

1581 XL ACTION REPEATER
Measuring in at 1.450" wide and 9.5" long, the 1581XL action is the largest of the Surgeon line of actions. It comes with a full-length 30 MOA integral 1913 MIL-STD Picatinny rail, a huge .450" integral recoil lug, and a large 1-1/8" x 16 tenon thread, which requires the use of a 1.350" diameter barrel.

Stiller Tac 338 uses a 1.125-16 threaded tenon.

Stiller Tac Driver uses the 1.1875-16 threaded tenon.

JJ Rock XL is 1.1875-18 threaded tenon.
After some limited research, that big Surgeon might be what I'm after. It seems very solid, but I'm gonna give stiller a look also.

What's you goal with this?

33XC wouldn't be top of my list behind several smaller and less powerful cartridges that work better in lightweight repeaters. But if you're looking for a big honking 338 and are set on the 33XC, rock on.

Mine is a Bat Model M, 1.47" multi-flat. Bought it from a member here, but the Model M was what I had been looking for before buying it as part of a complete rifle.

Comparing a Defiance Rebel SS (1.350"), Savage 12 Magnum Target (1.350"), and the Model M side by side (all with the correct .585 bolt face size for 33XC) to me there's no question the Bat is the one most suitable for it. I'd rank the Nanook one step below my Rebel since it's only available with a bottom cut (per the website I pulled up today at least), that takes a lot of stiffness out of the action. For no gain to me, I wouldn't even try to feed it.

Stiller Tac Driver was the other action on my list, it was always backordered so I never got to touch one whereas I've handled Bats before. Never saw the Surgeon, that's a nice looking action though. IMO Bat is the answer, with a stock from McMillan. Fits my general feel for how a rifle should look and run.

All of that said....... I fully support anyone making a big boomer, and @rpierce put a 33XC into a 14.5# hunting rifle that is amazing looking:
To be honest, I absolutely love the .338 caliber; I had a 338 win mag, and now have a 33 Nosler. I was going to contact Kirby Allen about a 338 Allen Mag, as I have been drooling over those for a few years now, but ordering a complete custom rifle is a little outside my means right now. Doing it this way, I can buy parts as I have money and make sure I get the parts I want. I would be using it for semi-long range hunting and shooting at targets as far away as I can, as my ability to do so progresses.
To honestly answer your question, I just really like any hotrod rounds, especially in .338.

I believe Kirby has a wait time and is not completely opposed to using your parts, maybe chat with him and go from there. If you want a hot rod that's the way to go….maybe he can chime in @Fiftydriver

I forgot to mention the Badger Ordnance M2013 action:

1694085618303.png

1694085660334.png

1694085921011.png

• Caliber: Win Mag & Lapua Mag based calibers.
  • Length: 9.55"
  • Width: 1.27"
  • Height: 1.5"
  • Weight: 2 lbs 12.5 oz.
  • Number of Bolt lugs: 6 on a 3 lug pattern
  • Bolt Dia: .78"
  • Bolt lift: 60º
  • Barrel Thread: 1 1/16" X 16 3A, 1.37" long
  • Trigger: Can use any Remington M700 style trigger.
  • Bottom Metal/Trigger Guard: Uses any Remington M700 detachable box magazine system.
  • Stock: McMillan Fiberglass, Manners Composite, any Remington compatible stock.
  • Can be fit into the Accuracy International AICS and AX chassis, and the KRG Whiskey3/X-Ray chassis.

Bat, Borden or the Surgeon 1581. The bigger threads, bigger lugs etc are setup to handle the pressures much better and in the long run you won't have lug setback. I tried a 33xc on a action with 3 lugs that were small and had .0015 lug setback in like 200 rounds. At this point in time all Im building a lapua bolt face cartridge off of is the Borden Bigfoot, Bat or Surgeon. I build a pile of 300 norma improved with the Borden Bigfoot and have had zero issues. Borden is perfection. It has a 1.400 OD to which is nice as it has a little more meat between the big 1.125x18 threads and the OD. Has taller bolt lugs and a beefy bolt, integral recoil lug, and a pinned and screwed 30 moa rail. The pin fit to the rail and action is very high tolerance/snug fit. Aint moving or coming loose at all. The actions come with the ignition properly setup for triggertech triggers. .250+ firing pin travel, a sufficient firing pin spring, and almost no cock on close. The ignition is clean as well. The bordens are one of the straightest actions Ive seen. The action isnt where you wanna save a few bucks on for a 33xc build. I haven't used stillers in probably 8 years. I got tired of fixing **** on em. Not sure if theyve changed things since new ownership. I don't want to hear from a retail customer on their experience with stiller lately as you don't know what to look for in a action to see if its made correctly. Simply saying the action is smooth etc doesn't make it quality. Measuring the straightness, ignition etc with the proper tools is how you identify a properly made action.