Accuracy build help

Barrel, barrel, barrel
chamber
chamber to bolt matching headspace
gas system regulation
forearm stiffness and interface with rest
stock and rifle balance
trigger

What makes most great AR's not 1/2 moa guns imho is they don't work with the rest and shooter well. The causes are basic things like over gassing causing rifle to bounce around. Loose parts that don't settle consistently. Forearm and buttstock not sliding well on leather. Trigger weights often tuned for overgassed bouncy gun as opposed to a smooth bag ridding rifle.

I would include these in your build:
brake
Superlative arms gas block
ALG round tube forearm
MAGPUL adjustable fixed buttstock
matched upper and lower with tension screw
Triggertech Diamond
Well I have a matched upper/lower from Aero and just learned the lower came w/ a tension screw installed from factory. I didn't know what that little hole w/ the green dot behind trigger was lol I also have an Accuwedge to install for increased stability.
I'm pretty set on a flash hider, rather than brake. (I do have the SilencerCo ASR muzzle brake too) Muzzle brakes seem a lot louder to my ears and drive me a little crazy. Is it just for extra recoil reduction or something else? I guess I could be talked into using the brake I've got if you think it would make a big difference.
Plan is to use the Magpul UBR stock for this rifle =)
I'm considering a Rainier Arms Ultramatch Barrel for this rifle. They have a 90 day money back guarantee! I've only seen great reviews on these barrels.
Is a standard gas block needed? If not, I already have an adjustable one from Superlative Arms.
*Probably a stupid question 😬 - How would I know if my gun was over-gassed?

Last edited:
Barrel, barrel, barrel
chamber
chamber to bolt matching headspace

Barrel, barrel, barrel.. you are right

We built uppers to use in CMP/NRA competition for our junior shooters. No brake, no adjustable gas blocks allowed by rulebook. I do the barrels from blanks. Before we issue the barrels to built, our team coaches test the barrels.

I built this bolt gun as a barrel tester. One of the coaches owns a machine rest to clamp the rifle. Barrel extensions are removed, but will be torqued to final once testing is complete. Testing is done at 600 with multiple groups.
20201021_173137.jpg
20200823_182504.jpg
20210102_163445.jpg

Last edited:
If you have any questions on Joe Carlos' mods, give me a shout. PM or [email protected]
Is there much of a difference between an 18'' and 16'' barrel other than ~50fps?
Does the gas system between the two really make that much of a difference?
What about the buffer system?
I'm admittedly very green. Sorry for all the basic/dumb questions.
I'd rather ask the silly questions now instead of buying something wrong and having to learn the hard way.

Is there much of a difference between an 18'' and 16'' barrel other than ~50fps?
Does the gas system between the two really make that much of a difference?
What about the buffer system?
I'm admittedly very green. Sorry for all the basic/dumb questions.
I'd rather ask the silly questions now instead of buying something wrong and having to learn the hard way.

For competition, 20 inch is used. We shoot 80 and 85 class bullets at 600 and 1000 yards. By rule, rounds must be single loaded, thus bullets are loaded long, boat tail above shoulder. The SPRs I built for me are 18 suppressed. The 16 inch carbine are just handier. My truck gun is a SBR 10-1/2 suppressed.

Difference in precision? No. @USAFRet ask him about his 14-1/2 with welded muzzle to 16-1/2 how it shoots.

Here is carbine with rifle length gas, folding BUIS, front inside the handguard I modified. No adjustable gas block as the folding gas front sight is the gas block.

Target was shot at 300M prone on elbow by a young LT at Benning using M855A1 issue ammo.

20200728_220107.jpg
20200929_125946.jpg
Resized_20210311_124350.jpeg

Last edited:
What about...
- Barrel choice
- Gas system
- Bolt Carrier Group
- Recoil system
How much of a role do these items play in the accuracy of the entire system?

I'm also assuming a good trigger is important, just like any other precision firearm.
I have a few very accurate competition ar15's

My Faxon QPQ 20 inch and some of my 20 inch SS barrels. All my twists are 8 and 9 for good reasons. As velocity goes up twist rate goes down. I only use rifle and rifle + 2 inch gas or piston systems. I only use the heavy full auto bolts/BCG I started with good steel and NBI coatings and later to Chrome tool steel bolts.

I use the flat wound quiet springs and light weight buffer weights. Longer gas tubes and smaller gas hole diameter makes for much less violent BCG cycling.

I polish the feed ramps and grind the forged uppers square.

The 223 case is physically limited to a max of about 75 gr. because of the short neck. The case volume is so small that heavy bullets are horribly slow. The Valkyrie has some advantages on being a long range.

I shoot bulk 55 gr BTs 62 and limit mine to 69 gr. HPBT

For competition, 20 inch is used. We shoot 80 and 85 class bullets at 600 and 1000 yards. By rule, rounds must be single loaded, thus bullets are loaded long, boat tail above shoulder. The SPRs I built for me are 18 suppressed. The 16 inch carbine are just handier. My truck gun is a SBR 10-1/2 suppressed.

Difference in precision? No. @USAFRet ask him about his 14-1/2 with welded muzzle to 16-1/2 how it shoots.

Here is carbine with rifle length gas, folding BUIS, front inside the handguard I modified. No adjustable gas block as the folding gas front sight is the gas block.

Target was shot at 300M prone on elbow by a young LT at Benning using M855A1 issue ammo.

View attachment 519788View attachment 519789View attachment 519790
If a pinned 14.5'' can be match accurate and maintain velocity out past 600 yards, I could be very interested.
I noticed Rainier also offers a 14.5'' "Match" barrel that's almost the same weight as the 16'' "Ultramatch," but with a savings of $140. Still comes with the same 90 day guaranty! I also noticed both the 14.5'' and 16'' run a mid length gas system, as opposed to the rifle length of the 18'' "Ultramatch" barrel.

I have a few very accurate competition ar15's

My Faxon QPQ 20 inch and some of my 20 inch SS barrels. All my twists are 8 and 9 for good reasons. As velocity goes up twist rate goes down. I only use rifle and rifle + 2 inch gas or piston systems. I only use the heavy full auto bolts/BCG I started with good steel and NBI coatings and later to Chrome tool steel bolts.

I use the flat wound quiet springs and light weight buffer weights. Longer gas tubes and smaller gas hole diameter makes for much less violent BCG cycling.

I polish the feed ramps and grind the forged uppers square.

The 223 case is physically limited to a max of about 75 gr. because of the short neck. The case volume is so small that heavy bullets are horribly slow. The Valkyrie has some advantages on being a long range.

I shoot bulk 55 gr BTs 62 and limit mine to 69 gr. HPBT

What does the sentence I boldened and italicized mean?

If a pinned 14.5'' can be match accurate and maintain velocity out past 600 yards, I could be very interested.
I noticed Rainier also offers a 14.5'' "Match" barrel that's almost the same weight as the 16'' "Ultramatch," but with a savings of $140. Still comes with the same 90 day guaranty! I also noticed both the 14.5'' and 16'' run a mid length gas system, as opposed to the rifle length of the 18'' "Ultramatch" barrel.

I never took the pinned 14.5 to 600. I've taken my suppressed SPR to 600 with MK262 Mod1

The 14.5 must be pinned welded to extend to 16. Otherwise, it will be a pistol or SBR

AR15
.223 Wylde/5.56
18'' barrel w/rifle length gas (I'm told this is a smoother system, but if a 16'' barrel w/mid length is just as good I could be swayed to the shorter barrel just to keep the rifle a bit shorter when my suppressor is attached)
My plan is to find an ELD Match from Hornady to go long for rocks and steel - 73gr/75gr/80gr
AND
A mono option from Hammer to go fast for predator control - 51gr/63gr ABs; 57gr/68gr HHTs
I have a SilencerCo Harvester EVO w/ASR compatible flash hider I plan to use occasionally with this rifle too.
Intermediate length should be good this way you keep a little more distance between the gas port and muzzle (~1" difference). As far as smoother goes, try A5 recoil system. Do you have a preference on carbine or rifle stocks? An A5 is 3/4" longer than standard carbine that uses a rifle spring with a carbine buffer (4" vs 3.25") in AR15's. Ads weight behind the bcg instead of having a heavier bcg. You can use either an A5 carbine tube or an A1/A2 rifle tube (spacer required of 3/4").

View attachment 519788View attachment 519789View attachment 519790
4 shot group 77 TMK.jpg
5 shot group 77 TMK.jpg

This is the 14.5" pin and weld @bamban mentioned. This group is at 100 yards with factory AAC 77 TMK ammunition (look at what large game the 77 TMK has been used to take on Rokslide). He built this for a truck gun, which it still is, but has been upgraded to my hunting blind rifle. I put a 1-8 LPVO on it so I can do short range work and pop a deer out to a couple hundred yards if the opportunity provides itself. I added a Sylvan folder and it is my ultimate do it all rifle.

Nez, so good to see you back online sharing your wisdom.

UnfoldedUpload.jpg
FoldedUpload.jpg

Last edited:
Intermediate length should be good this way you keep a little more distance between the gas port and muzzle (~1" difference). As far as smoother goes, try A5 recoil system. Do you have a preference on carbine or rifle stocks? An A5 is 3/4" longer than standard carbine that uses a rifle spring with a carbine buffer (4" vs 3.25") in AR15's. Ads weight behind the bcg instead of having a heavier bcg. You can use either an A5 carbine tube or an A1/A2 rifle tube (spacer required of 3/4").
I'm pretty set on the Magpul UBR stock for this rifle which requires a rifle length buffer (I think?)
Also considering the JP Enterprises silent buffer or the Geissele Super 42 H2 w/rifle length spring.

Recent Posts