Help with AR15 Varmint Build

Ghostwolf308

I currently have a stripped lower with the plans to build a AR varmint rifle. My question is what should I go with barrel wise and any other parts that I would need for a varmint build? I was thinking about buying a Bravo Company complete upper BCM SS410 18" Rifle Upper Receiver Group w/ BCM KMR 15" Handguard 1/8 Twist but would rather make sure I build a good solid varmint gun. I have a buddy that is working on getting me into coyote hunting and he keeps the pelts. I have read that a .223 is a good coyote round that will not tear up the hide. Iwill be reloading my own ammo so please keep that in mind. Please help me build a great first AR yote gun.

Well since I didn't get any help yet let me update my thoughts. I am looking at going with either an 18 or 20" White Oak ss barrel and bcg. Not sure which upper i am going to go with, any advice? I am going to get a BCM charge handle and in thinking a bravo company keymod hand guard. I would love some advice since this is my first AR and coyote build.

NOVESKE - Barrels

Rock River Arms: Stainless Steel Varmint Barrels

https://www.stagarms.com/20-5-56-heavy-barrel/

Ive had experience with all three manufacturers. NOT with these specific barrels though. My Army buddy's noveske, my brothers stag arms 3L, and my high school buddy's RRA are all right around 1 MOA rifles with Remington premier match, federal v shock, or Winchester ballistic silvertips. That was with their stock barrels on their rifles. all shooting was at 100 yards. We got them out to 400 on a 12 inch steel plate at my range just for fun. I wish I could help more but I like to shoot ARs and do not really tinker with them.

Here is another friends custom noveske. He got all the parts from Rainier arms. He hasn't shot it yet. The barrel is a 16 inch stainless heavy barrel with spiral flutes and a Rainier arms 12 inch key mod fully floated rail. The reciever, upper, and all the guts are noveske though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 268
Last one here is my magpul SW MP15 with a free floated rail and nikon p223 3x9x40. All stock except the magpul furniture and free float handrail. It has a millett tactical 1 piece base. It's 1.5 to 1 MOA rifle depending on ammo. It is proven on steel out to 500 yards in its current set up and makes 300 yards hits on steel a joke. Hope these give you some ideas for your build. Good luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 196
I heard BCM stainless steel barrels are hit or miss when it comes to being accurate. If you can go onto the old sniper hide web site and look at I want say the 30 round group link or something like that. They was some different brands being used on there. The one that stood out the most was the RRA Varmint A4 Its was a top performer ( 1/2 to 3/4 moa with 30 rounds fired in a sitting). I buddy I know has one and its lights out for an AR. When comes to battlefield rifles BCM is on the top of my list but for varmints RRA Varmint A4 is tough to beat. I hope this helps!

Ive been doing some research and I think I am going to go with a White Oak Armament barrel. They seem to get really good reviews and are supposed to be as good or better than the RRA. They have an 18" but its a 1:7 and a 20" that is 1:8. I am thinking of calling them to see if they can make me a 18" 1:8.

Heya ghost wolf... Not sue what kind of velocities you are after, but have you considered a dpms sweet 16 upper? Mine shoots absolutely amazing... And I wouldn't trade it for a higher priced upper for anything! Never!

This is only a couple of shots after I tossed on a new scope the other day... But it shoots .3x at 100 yards all day long. I love this upper!

image.jpg

Nice groups. I am not looking for a ccomplete upper anymore. I decided to piece one together with the parts I like. The reason I chose to go with the WA barrel is i have read great reviews on multiple forums about their barrels being great and accurate.

On a side note how does everyone feel about breaks or flash hiders on coyote rifles? Can't decide if I wanna throw one on the end or just get the target crown.

Varmint AR Ideas:
I used the following and its a TAC driver .

1-8, 22" ER Shaw barrel (Full Bull)
Grizzly OP-4 Side Charger upper
Midwest industries 15" Free Float Forend
URGO Adjustable stock, with Rifle buffer and Spring
NFA Billet Lower receiver with CMC 3 lb drop in trigger
Bushnell AR 223 Optic
Harris Bipod
$1300 to build. Super accurate.

Havent figured out how to post pics yet? Send me an email and I will forward if you like.
Jim- [email protected]

I have a RR 20in Varmint ss barrel that shoots lights out. 1.25 inch groups at 300 yards with Factory Hornady 55g VMAX ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.