Help with ar build

muley

One of our hunters offered to build an ar for me. I haven't been around them at all. I would like a 223 wylde that would be accurate a ways out there, but not be too heavy. What barrel would you look at? I would like a varmint barrel, but I would like it to be easy to carry too. Is an 18" varmint barrel too heavy to easily shoot off hand? I would like it set up to use flip up sights or a scope and be able to easily carry it in the pickup. Eventually, I would like to get a grendel upper. Any suggestions or ideas are much appreciated.

I built my AR with an 18" 1-8" twist stainless barrel from DPMS. It is what I consider a medium weight profile, 3/4" diameter. It also has a standard 5.56 chamber. It will shoot 5 shots into a group just under an inch at 200 yards using 77 grain SMK's. My AR has enough weight to shot comfortably off hand. I have flip up front and rear sights, but I don't use them. I have YHM free floating hand guards and that has helped with accuracy. I built my AR to shoot out to 600 yards. It's one of the funniest rifles I have to shoot.

You are most welcome. Have fun with your AR. They are easy to customize or maybe a better way to say it "personalize".

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.