AR 15 6.5 G help with build

Nuclear Worker

LRH Team Member
I am looking to build a AR15 in 6.5 g. Want it for deer hunting for wife like the lightness and recoil for her. Suggestion for barrell and trigger wanted. Plan on putting a EO Tech holo. Or there new vodoo scope on it Shot will be typically close less than 100 yards

MudRunner2005

Best trigger for the money hands-down is the Rise Armament RA-140. I have 2 of them. Got them on sale for $95 each. You will want to run a set of KNS anti-walk pins with any drop-in trigger group to keep the pins from working their way out.

They're on sale for $85 at Brownells... Hell, that's $40 less than MSRP.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...ers/ar-15-super-sport-trigger-prod109431.aspx

Barrel, the best one for the money is this one... Comes with a matching head-spaced bolt. It's also 5R-rifled, and is built by Satern Mfg. for Brownells. Satern has been around for years building high-quality barrels for good prices. I have this same barrel, but in 24" length.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...mid-gas-barrel-sku080001026-69785-112684.aspx

Last edited:

Ckgworks

I have built a few Grendel's now, and can second what Mudrunner said. If you watch Saturn's website they run a lot of Weekend sales on their barrels. I picked up a 18 inch fluted from them around Christmas time for $200. I haven't loaded for it yet, but factories are holding well under 1 MOA. I also have a Odin Works 18-inch barrel that easily meets their 1MOA guarantee. I had a BHW barrel for a while and while others have had luck with them I was never satisfied with it.

Mark M.

If you wanted another option to look at and wanted to upgrade a bit, look at Lilja barrel and also the Geissele SSA-E 2 stage trigger

farmerbob

Get a good 1-4 power scope. It will do way more than an eotech.
Much more clarity, better in low light and better all around.
Get one with a lit dot reticle. Leupold MKAR, VXR, Vortex Strike Eagle.
There's a bunch of good ones for the same price or less than an eotech

Nuclear Worker

LRH Team Member
Bartlein is good stuff! I wish I had a connection for them...
Thanks a guy I work with is married to his cousin. This is all new to me so have no idea what barrel material what twist what length fluted or not?Never owned a custom gun of any kind. Me and the wife both hunt a lot but with factory equipment. She shot a elk last year with her Tikka 30.06 at 200 yards. I got mine at 508 with a Tikka 300wsm. Both shoot Trijicon scopes.

MudRunner2005

See if you can talk him into getting you a free 29" 7mm 1:8 twist Rem Varmint contour stainless fluted barrel blank, while he's also hooking you up with your AR barrel... Then you can mail the 7mm barrel to me. :D

Nuclear Worker

LRH Team Member
See if you can talk him into getting you a free 29" 7mm 1:8 twist Rem Varmint contour stainless fluted barrel blank, while he's also hooking you up with your AR barrel... Then you can mail the 7mm barrel to me. :D
Do you want 2 so you have a spare lol .Not sure what kind of deal he is getting me really but I don’t think it’s free.You seem to know alit about the subject. What barrel would you put on it?As far a length twist material etc.

MudRunner2005

Do you want 2 so you have a spare lol .Not sure what kind of deal he is getting me really but I don’t think it’s free.You seem to know alit about the subject. What barrel would you put on it?As far a length twist material etc.
Hell...Why not? :cool:

If I was to spec-out a custom barrel exactly how I would want one for my own personal 6.5 Grendel AR, here's how that would go down...

1) 5R cut-rifling
2) 1:8 RH twist
3) Stainless steel
4) Large Spiral Fluting both behind and in front of the gas block shelf
5) Rifle-length gas system
6) 20" finished-length
7) Bull-barrel contour with .936" gas block shelf
8) Rainier Arms Adjustable Bleed-Off .936" gas block
9) Rainier Arms Nitride-coated rifle-length gas tube.
10) 11º Recessed Target crown
11) 5/8-24 threaded muzzle w/ matching thread-protector

Last edited:

Nuclear Worker

LRH Team Member
Hell...Why not? :cool:

If I was to spec-out a custom barrel exactly how I would want one for my own personal 6.5 Grendel AR, here's how that would go down...

1) 5R cut-rifling
2) 1:8 RH twist
3) Stainless steel
4) Large Spiral Fluting both behind and in front of the gas block shelf
5) Rifle-length gas system
6) 20" finished-length
7) Bull-barrel contour with .936" gas block shelf
8) Rainier Arms Adjustable Bleed-Off .936" gas block
9) Rainier Arms Nitride-coated rifle-length gas tube.
10) 11º Recessed Target crown
11) 5/8-24 threaded muzzle w/ matching thread-protector
Thanks a lot of that is foreign to me. I suppose a lot of that is not needed for the purpose of this rifle but if I am going to build it do it right for all purpose. Only thing I would probably change is the bull barrel for weight trying to make it a light gun for the wife. As long as I’m asking how about upper lower suggestions. Thanks again for the help and maybe stupid questions.

MudRunner2005

Yeah, contours are one of those personal things. Weight is a personal preference based on need and use. The heavier the barrel/rifle, the steadier it will be on a rest or bipod, which is better for LR and accuracy needs. But, if you want/need a lighter gun for your wife, and something you will be carrying through the woods more than letting it sit on a rest, I'd keep the same exact barrel specs, but order the barrel in a standard contour that uses a standard .750" gas block.

Trending threads