AR 15 6.5 G help with build

Yeah, contours are one of those personal things. Weight is a personal preference based on need and use. The heavier the barrel/rifle, the steadier it will be on a rest or bipod, which is better for LR and accuracy needs. But, if you want/need a lighter gun for your wife, and something you will be carrying through the woods more than letting it sit on a rest, I'd keep the same exact barrel specs, but order the barrel in a standard contour that uses a standard .750" gas block.
Thank you for all the help would the gas block still be from the same company and style but in a .750" ?How much weight difference is there?What about brand of upper and lower?

One bit of advice I will pass on to you is STARY AWAY FROM ANYTING FROM BEAR CREEK ARSENAL. I built a 6.5 Grendel that is a tack driver. I used an Anderson upper and lower. I got OdenWorks barrel package deal which is hard to beat. I got the 18" barrel that comes with a tuneable gas block and gas tube with complete bolt group for $440 through joeboboutdoors.com but the Odenworks site has the same price. I used joebob's standard dust cover and forward assist. I got the float tube from STNGR.USA it is the VYPR and was $124.99 shipped. These are really good made in USA and super easy to install. It comes with the crow foot wrench and requires no timing for gas tube. Just use your 1/2" torque wrench with the crow foot and torque they say to be tween 30 and I believe it was 45 foot pounds. I used 35 on mine. It is sub MOA with most any load except the factory Hornady 123 SST is shoots average 1 1/2" at 100. For hunting I used a Kaw Valley Linear Comp as a muzzle device. I may reduce recoil a little bit and does hold down muzzle rise but best of all it projects the muzzle blast down range so if you have to shoot without ear protection it does not deafen you like a muzzle break device does. For loads get you some IMR 8208 and some 125 Sierra Pro Hunter bullets and use CCI 450 or BR-4 primers and work up toward the max load of 28.5 grs. I am using Hornady cases. This is a super accurate load in my OdenWorks barrel and will shoot average 1" in the Bear Creek Arsenal barreled upper. I would take a look at the Primary Arms 1-6 or 1-8 (ASSC or something like that)scope I can't remember the exact letters. primaryarms.com It is the best of both worlds (red dot and scope) and will be my purchase soon in 1-8.

For a button rifled
Barrel I think Saturn makes a good barrel but there are better barrels out there for a little more money. If I go to the time of building an ar I'm going to keep I'd rather spend a little more money and go with a bartlien Krieger or rock creek barrel. I've had good luck with rock creek lately. But if your only using it for deer at 100 yds then a cheaper barrel and worked over milspec trigger will do just fine too

Thanks for the suggestions anybody use Bartlein barrels? Have a connection for them
Bartlein produces great reliable barrels and they're good folks. You can call Frank 262-677-1717 press option 2 for Frank or 3 for Brian. They will help you and they're very knowledgeable. Tell Frank that James from Colorado told you to call him.

Just seen this thread....

How did you build come out?

What did you end up getting?

I know many here don't care for the less expensive barrels...notice I didn' say cheap. Mud and RT have great advice and those guys know their stuff! If i had unlimited funds i would follow their advice to the letter.

But the the less expensive barrels are not horrible. I did two budget rebuilds of existing rifles and both shoot better than I could have ask for. Both barrels together cost less than one quality barrel. Which throws a lot of red flags, but it worked out great for me.

I only wanted/needed MOA of dead deer at 100yds both barrels shoot MOA out to 400yds and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot deer out to 300 yards with either one!

2018-07-15 23.24.25.jpg

This three shot group was shot at 200yds. I pulled the high shot, buts still pretty good for a brand new barrel that cost $75.00.

With the Grendel if you do a little research there's a lot of information. I built a 20" Grendel with an aero precision upper and lower set, ballistic advantage fluted dmr style barrel, luthar mba-3 stock, and parallax tactical hand guard from bkings in Ohio for a great deal. With the sole purpose of hunting. If I were building it now I would build a maximum length of 16" just because it's still going to be accurate ( because that's what this round is) and it'll be lighter and more maneuverable in the field. Just my $.02

If I were building it now I would build a maximum length of 16" just because it's still going to be accurate ( because that's what this round is) and it'll be lighter and more maneuverable in the field. Just my $.02
Week before last got into a huge argument with the Grendel troops on said forum because I don't get loosing all the velocity with a shorter barrel (12" is a favorite). They got so bad they were calling names...lol...

IMO - in a small for caliber I want the best velocity I can get. They were showing velocity loss of a bit over 200fps with factory ammo. I see 75+fps shooting my 18" and 20". I not talking about a special load...I talking comparing exact ammo.

I have not encountered any instances where "the lack of maneuverability" (not quote you Pootyng, mostly guys on the other forum) it cost me an animal or shot. I've hunted all my life and spent 15 years guiding.

Just saying...

Have you considered a braced pistol? With the Nosler 130's folks are getting super sonic to 1k out of a 12". Makes for an easy carrying fun hunting rifle.
Thinking about going that route. Would be a very easy carry for the wife when we are sneaking around the White tail woods. Project is on hold right now life intervened again. Thanks to everyone for all the help I am new to this game. Will let y'all know when I get it done. Feel free to give any more advice that you have done yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.