AR10 build for accuracy?

TheDerkster

I have decided that I WILL build a AR10...hopefully this fall unless I decide to buy a CNC and lathe first. Im still on a college budget, but hopefully I can get my scholarships in line so I can spend my monies elsewhere.

Im pretty set on a creedmoor variant, more than likely a 6.5 because I am a practical kind of shooter. I use them for game and while a 6 mm would be fine, it doesn't have the energy at extend ranges and I see it more as a target or varmint round. I figure on a JP enterprises "build" using their high pressure bolt, carrier, upper and lower. Ill probably use a MAGPUL adjustable butt stock and krieger 22" barrel. If I feel that its too long, ill get it shortened later. Im currently packing a 16.5 lb savage build I did that Im running a 26 inch barrel with a 2.5 inch brake and i haven't had much trouble with it going through the woods. The deer didn't seem like they cared much either :).

Im thinking an adjustable gas block on both uppers Im wanting. 6.5 mm will be first, but a 338 federal will come next if not a 450 bushmaster so I can run suppressed. Other than that, I cant think of much besides a geissele trigger and a vortex razor gen ii 4.5-27 which I should be getting for my long range rig. Ill run it on ARC M10 QD mounts so I can switch between rifles. I have their non QD mounts which have been pretty amazing.

So I guess what Im asking for is opinions. Ive never built an AR and Im not crazy about the AR15s. I know AR10s are not standardized which is why Im sticking with JP on basically everything for the most part in the action itself. Other than that, I just came up with this plan based off what Ive read and researched and Id like to run it by some more knowledgeable people. I know im leaving out quite a few parts like the lower parts kits, bolt handle, etc, but I cant see that they would affect accuracy to much. Thanks!

Mine is 26" Krieger 6.5 creedmoor DPMS pattern upper and lower Diamondhead handguard adjustable gas block there is so little clearance with a .936" bull barrel and an Sarac ordinance adjustable gas block that the Diamondhead handguard was hitting the bottom of it had to swap to a DPMS low pro gas block could of cut the bottom of the handguard and coved the cut with a picatinny rail section to make the required clearance and may still do that just reluctant to start cutting a couple hundred dallar handguard. I would go with the AP custom carbon fiber handguard if I was doing it over. Gisele high speed national match trigger. **** thing shoots 1/2 MOA with 139 Scenars maybe better if I'm having a good day. I went with the 26" barrel because I shoot it out to around 1000 yards it's not really a carry gun but I have carried it a little walking behind the house in back 40 and it's not completely horrible would be much better with a sling. I love the gun but that being said my in law bought one of the new ruger precision rifles chamber in 6.5 creedmoor and it will shoot just as accurately for around half the money. If you build the AR10 go with the JP high pressure bolt I have a DPMS bolt and pierce primers regularly when working up loads on the upper end of book values it will be my next upgrade to mine.z

Mine is 26" Krieger 6.5 creedmoor DPMS pattern upper and lower Diamondhead handguard adjustable gas block there is so little clearance with a .936" bull barrel and an Sarac ordinance adjustable gas block that the Diamondhead handguard was hitting the bottom of it had to swap to a DPMS low pro gas block could of cut the bottom of the handguard and coved the cut with a picatinny rail section to make the required clearance and may still do that just reluctant to start cutting a couple hundred dallar handguard. I would go with the AP custom carbon fiber handguard if I was doing it over. Gisele high speed national match trigger. **** thing shoots 1/2 MOA with 139 Scenars maybe better if I'm having a good day. I went with the 26" barrel because I shoot it out to around 1000 yards it's not really a carry gun but I have carried it a little walking behind the house in back 40 and it's not completely horrible would be much better with a sling. I love the gun but that being said my in law bought one of the new ruger precision rifles chamber in 6.5 creedmoor and it will shoot just as accurately for around half the money. If you build the AR10 go with the JP high pressure bolt I have a DPMS bolt and pierce primers regularly when working up loads on the upper end of book values it will be my next upgrade to mine.z

Thank you. I've done a lot of research since trying to find parts and it seems I might have a money maker. Altho im considering 7mm-08 now as well as the 6.5 cm. Only thing that bothers me is if I can seat to lands or not.

Basically ill run a magpul prs on a aeroprecision receiver set with gissele dmr, JP BCG with hp bolt, and krieger 22 inch barrel. Maybe 20. I thought about going 26 but I already have a bolt gun that is capable of 1000 yds easily in 308, and I should soon be able to push it out to 2000 with a new chambering I have coming.

I can't seat to the lands and use a magazine. I Just seat to barely fit in the mag and have the best luck with mine running bthp style bullets gets me closer to the lands than with amax style bullets but they do shoot ok also just not as good as the lupua. I did try 142gr matchkings but mine didn't care for them and they have a much longer profile than the Scenar's mine is a bit rough on brass with 140gr bullets and every thing I've read says run the 120-123gr in a gasser but the 140 are better at the longer ranges I like to plink at and I still get around 10 or so reloadings on my brass. Unless I get stupid and try and hot rod the loads but with my bolt I start seeing pierced primers before I get to carried away. 7mm-08 wouldn't be a bad way to go I considered it also better selection on brass about the same bulistics with little better bullet energy down range. I will say that 6.5 creedmoor seems easy to load for and get very good accuracy but that is only two creedmoor's as a sampling size so take it for what it's worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts