Accuracy build help

Why do you prefer the nitride over others?
I would think nickel boron would clean a little easier, but maybe doesn't hold up as well in the long run...?
The problem with coatings is straightforward. If you put a coat on, you must account for the thickness of the coating when milling the bcg. Many manufacturers produce bcg's that are barely to spec as is. Add a coating and now you have problems. Some manufacturers mill undersized in an effort to control this. Sometimes with subpar results. My advise here is to stay with well know-name brand bcg's. Yes they cost more, but most of the time you get what you pay for.

When cleaning, especially in the tail and seal areas, be careful. Hard pressure can ruin the bcg. Then you have folks scraping all the crud off with hard tools and ruining the coating and causing more pressure seal issues. Not to mention scraping so hard that you litterly undersize the critical seal areas.

Dont forget the ar15 bcg should be run somewhat wet. Some folks will disagree on this. It wont hurt the gun at all and may actually help you with cleaning chores.

Another problem is gas rings. The standard for checking ar15 bcg gas rings is to stand the bcg on the tail and see that it does not collapse. This only works with the 3 ring sets, not one piece rings. There is no mil spec for ar15 one piece rings. Also, with large frame ar308 type guns you can't do this test. The bcg is heavier and invalidates the test. There are no mil specs for the large frame ar308. One of the problems with that platform. The best way to ensure that your bcg is what it is supposed to be is the measure it. Again, costly since several pin gages and a few other specific tools are required. You can do this yourself if you download and read the M16/M4 manual. This has all the spec info contained therein. The gages necessary are not all that expensive, but that is to each person to decide. If you need or suspect your bcg is having issues, consult a qualified gunsmith that will test and measure it out for you. You may be surprised what you find out. And it will save you time and frustration.

Last edited:
You cannot go wrong with JP. I have 2 and both shoot less than moa easy with handloads. The key to accuracy in these guns is to make sure the bolt matches the barrel. I got an complete upper for my LR308 with adjustable gas block and with silent capture spring. 1/2 MOA and shoots smooth low recoil all day long.

I can't plausibly see where the bevel/chamfer of the leading edge against the buffer has anything to do with accuracy? Locked into battery with the bolt and extension plays no part of the other end of the bcg. I'm still curious about the test though!

I've got all my parts ordered! 🤩
Now I need to tackle the optics dilemma…
I thought I was sold on an Athlon Helos BTR G2 2-12x42 FFP IR (25oz, parallax, 30mm tube, and love this reticle).
Recently discovered a couple others…
- Athlon Ares ETR UHD 1-10x24 FFP IR (27oz, great reticle, 34mm tube)
- Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x44 FFP (non-illuminated reticle, 27oz, 34mm tube)

Still leaning towards the 2-12 and am not a big fan of the massive 34mm tubes but am also very curious to hear what y'all think of these other two I've discovered.

*Edit*
I'll be adding a backup red dot to this rifle no matter which optic I choose for the longer shots.

Last edited:
I've got all my parts ordered! 🤩
Now I need to tackle the optics dilemma…
I thought I was sold on an Athlon Helos BTR G2 2-12x42 FFP IR (25oz, parallax, 30mm tube, and love this reticle).
Recently discovered a couple others…
- Athlon Ares ETR UHD 1-10x24 FFP IR (27oz, great reticle, 34mm tube)
- Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x44 FFP (non-illuminated reticle, 27oz, 34mm tube)

Still leaning towards the 2-12, but am curious what y'all think of the other two I've found.
While I want the 2-12 also, I do have the 1-10 athlon with atmr4 reticle. The sig 1-10 with msr bdc10 reticle is a good 1 also. Not much difference between the ahmr2 and the atmr4 reticles. All 3 reticles are good.

While I want the 2-12 also, I do have the 1-10 athlon with atmr4 reticle. The sig 1-10 with msr bdc10 reticle is a good 1 also. Not much difference between the ahmr2 and the atmr4 reticles. All 3 reticles are good.
Personally, I'd prefer the extra magnification of the 2-12 over the 1-10. If the Strike Eagle had an illuminated reticle, I'd be more inclined to lean that direction I think.

Personally, I'd prefer the extra magnification of the 2-12 over the 1-10. If the Strike Eagle had an illuminated reticle, I'd be more inclined to lean that direction I think.
Going past most hogg ranges I'd take the extra magnification also. 2-6 or 2-18 if that were a thing at a reasonable price and maybe go 3x for my extra long range piggie guns.

Going past most hogg ranges I'd take the extra magnification also. 2-6 or 2-18 if that were a thing at a reasonable price and maybe go 3x for my extra long range piggie guns.
I wish that Athlon Helos came in a 3-18x42 configuration. I think that'd be the perfect do it all optic for this rifle, especially with a backup RDS.

I wish that Athlon Helos came in a 3-18x42 configuration. I think that'd be the perfect do it all optic for this rifle, especially with a backup RDS.
I wish US Optics would do scopes with moa options. They have good choices if you only want mil.

Last edited:
I wish US Optics would do scopes with moa options. Yhey have good choices if you only want mil.
I also prefer MOA, but would be willing to learn MIL if the scope checked all my other boxes.
The USO TS12 would be another awesome scope, but there's no option for an illuminated reticle. 😔
That 2-12x Athlon just keeps looking better and better 😏

Last edited:
I also prefer MOA, but would be willing to learn MIL if the scope checked all my other boxes.
The USO TS12 would be another awesome scope, but there's no option for an illuminated reticle. 😔
NF bumms me out on optics I want, but only center illumination. Well, without paying 2k for it.

You cannot go wrong with JP. I have 2 and both shoot less than moa easy with handloads. The key to accuracy in these guns is to make sure the bolt matches the barrel. I got an complete upper for my LR308 with adjustable gas block and with silent capture spring. 1/2 MOA and shoots smooth low recoil all day long.
JP does make a very nice bcg. I have been running their enhanced high pressure bcg with bolt in my ar308 for some time now. Works great and the small diameter firing pin solved my pierced primer problem.

Mil works pretty good with many of the .223/ 5.56 trajectories. I try to stay away of Chinese manufactured anything but it's tough to. Over at RS the 2-13 didn't survive the drop test. What's worse is it lost zero from driving down dirt roads too.

Mil works pretty good with many of the .223/ 5.56 trajectories. I try to stay away of Chinese manufactured anything but it's tough to. Over at RS the 2-13 didn't survive the drop test. What's worse is it lost zero from driving down dirt roads too.
I saw that review after I read some reviews over on the hide. Per usual w/ Chinese optics, it's a luck of the draw. The gentleman over there didn't drop test but claims it's basically lived in vehicles and never lost zero.