Accuracy build help

In my example it's the same rifle and only changing the bolts. NO, too takes more gas.

I will word it another way: Total weight. Weigh the skeleton BCG and a heavy H3 buffer weight. Lets weigh a full auto bolt with a added brass plug and it's Standard buffer weight with even a steel slug or two removed. They have equal total weight and both eject the same loaded shells to 3:00 - 4:30.

The heavy bolt is going to be moving slower as it takes up the air gap to the buffer weight, but it's striking a lighter object which moves easier.

The lighter bolt is going faster as it takes up the air gap and crashes into a heavier H3 buffer weight just beating up the front of it.

These two examples probably require a different spring to balance out an ejection pattern.

Just like my buddy with his cheap off the shelf AR. It requires a heavy buffer weight and spring to get the correct ejection pattern because it's also dealing with the added pressure of a short gas tube. These rifles figure that you are also going to be shooting cheap off the shelf lower pressure 223 rounds. Where as the well thought out brass slug gun can do thousands of trouble free rounds without ever replacing parts that just got beat to death. They also use hand loads with up near max pressure and were designed to balance out with small gas holes and long gas tubes.

On non-adjustable gas, then yes. Buffer weight doesn't change for gas nor add to the weight of the cycling.

This isn't hypothetical, it's factual on following statement(s).

With an agb where it's tuned to the correct ejection pattern with a lighter bcg (spring and buffer are not important at this time although required) will need less gas. Now snap in a heavier bcg and it will short stroke. If something is "crashing" into the buffer it has to much gas. If you use a non-agb (gas port being at optimal size) using a lighter bcg, the use of a heavier buffer is needed (not necessarily a stronger spring).

What you have found in your test seems to be different than what I've tested.

Test done with pmc m855 and m193 in 5.56 and wylde chambers. Test done in 6.5creed AR10's used Hornady match 120a-max. Test in 308win AR10's used pmc bronze 147gr (m80) 7.62x51.

I haven't done any in 6.5gren, 300bo or 6.8spc2 yet. Test is uncomplete on 260rem AR10's and 7-08rem.

I found another option for an "Enhanced" BCG from Radian. I love the charging handles and safety I have from them but am curious if anyone has used this BCG and maybe how it might compare to the Lantac...
There's also a significant cost difference...
What about black nitride verses nickel boron?

Radian Enhanced BCG Black Nitride
Lantac Enhanced BCG Black Nitride
Lantac Enhanced BCG Nickel Boron

Last edited:
I found another option for an "Enhanced" BCG from Radian. I love the charging handles and safety I have from them but am curious if anyone has used this BCG and maybe how it might compare to the Lantac...

I don't have either of their bcg's, but do have Lantac triggers and Radian chargehandles.

I have bcg's of many flavors (coatings), but prefer nitride over np3, nickle boron, phosphate and electrolysis coatings.

I ran across an interesting article/review from School of The American Rifle (SOTAR) a while back on several makes and coatings on carriers. It did make me think about my choices. You may be surprised with the findings.

Yeah, the Radian is a good charging handle. Use them on all my AR guns.

I ran across an interesting article/review from School of The American Rifle (SOTAR) a while back on several makes and coatings on carriers. It did make me think about my choices. You may be surprised with the findings.

Yeah, the Radian is a good charging handle. Use them on all my AR guns.
I'm not sure if it's the same one I watched, but did find it interesting that some manufacturers (not named) were out of spec. Some were identifiable due to design and some weren't even coated.

I have bcg's of many flavors (coatings), but prefer nitride over np3, nickle boron, phosphate and electrolysis coatings.
Why do you prefer the nitride over others?
I would think nickel boron would clean a little easier, but maybe doesn't hold up as well in the long run...?

I've built about 16 ARs the past few years and run the JP silent system in my personal builds as they are all suppressed. I really like the bootleg adj bcg for suppressed as well.
I've heard of that Bootleg Adjustable BCG and how it circumvents the need for an adjustable gas block w/suppressed rifles. I'll have to check and see if they offer an "enhanced" version.

Why do you prefer the nitride over others?
I would think nickel boron would clean a little easier, but maybe doesn't hold up as well in the long run...?
They just seem to work better for me.

I do have 1 np3 and like it better than nickel, but nitride from aero precision have run better than a faxon and rca bcg. JP's lite bcg's have worked good as I don't have any full mass from them.

I've heard of that Bootleg Adjustable BCG and how it circumvents the need for an adjustable gas block w/suppressed rifles. I'll have to check and see if they offer an "enhanced" version.
Adding to his quote, there are a few other companies that have the gas adjustment where the ejection port is and (as far as I know) rca has an adjustable key (I have 1). As far as 308 carriers I'm not sure if above per my post has adjustable for them?

They just seem to work better for me.

I do have 1 np3 and like it better than nickel, but nitride from aero precision have run better than a faxon and rca bcg. JP's lite bcg's have worked good as I don't have any full mass from them.
I have the PRO from Aero in some other guns but it's not flared at the back like other companies "enhanced" options.
That unsupported bolt seems to really affect accuracy based on what I read in that article.

Since adjustable gas blocks are not legal in CMP/NRA service rifle matches, years ago, some, if not all the kids with the Arizona Juniors Rifle Team used the Sun Devil adjustable gas keys. They were the force to be reckon with in the juniors rattle battle team match at Perry. They are still very competitive to date, but I am not sure if they still use the Sun Devil gas keys.

As I mentioned in one of my posts, rattle battle is mag dump (30 round mags are mostly used) in semi auto in 50 seconds prone at 6 and 5, sitting at 3.

I have the PRO from Aero in some other guns but it's not flared at the back like other companies "enhanced" options.
That unsupported bolt seems to really affect accuracy based on what I read in that article.
I curious about that finding.