AR10 - Buy or Build

Also mega recommends 65ft-lbs on the barrel nut so you better have a good vice, and only warranty issues if a dpms 'claw' reciever block is used. I ordered a set of poly vice blocks off ebay for $18 that worked fine, couldn't see spending $50+ on the 'claw' just my .02

Just got my brake on. IdahoCTD, here on the forum did it. I got a few of them from him. Really nice work and great guy to deal with. I would recommend them to anyone. Looks really good on there. tapers from .730 at the shoulder to .820 at the first port.
all said and done came to $1725 all said and done.

Looks nice :D:D:D

I don't have any pics but I have an older GAP AR in 308. I think it's 6 or 7 years old now. I got it 2 presidential elections ago when I was concerned with the anti-gun folks looking like they'd win. GAP was offering DPMS lowers or Armalite lowers as a base for the build. I chose the DPMS lower as the base so it would take the Magpul mags. 20 inch barrel. Bartlien barrel 1:11...I believe they are running 1:11.25 twist now unless you ask for something else. I have the PRS stock. I paid $2701 for it, and it is worth every penny.

I hand-load and I worked up the best load of Varget at 43.5 grains. COAL 2.81. CCI LR primers. I load Berger 168 grain Hunting Match bullets. The result...I'm always under 0.25 center to center. My best 5-shot string was prone @ 100 yards and it measured 0.39 from outside to outside. When you subtract the .308 it was a center to center spread of 0.082 inches. I stopped shooting for the day after that string of shots, took my target, and went home smiling. That was the best I've ever shot and I couldn't have done it without a capable rifle.

I wish I had a photo of that target. I've had eye surgery this year and there is no way I will be shooting that well again.

If I ever get a custom rifle again it will be a GAP. I cannot begin to tell you how impressed I am with my rifle. I've met a couple shooters around her (Ft Campbell professional Soldiers) who have told they they have had similar experiences with their bolt rifles by GAP. So a GAP versus a production rifle? There's absolutely no comparison...GAP wins by far in my book. Oh, and they were great to work with from the first call to a couple questions I had after the sale.

I hope this helped you. Yes, I am a serious GAP fan...very biased toward them.

I just recently purchased a Rock River Arms LAR-8 308 26" SS heavy barrel. Here is a 200 yard 5 shot group. I recently installed a Hiperfire 24 trigger. 168gr SMK 40 grs. of IMR 8208 XBR powder.

Attachments

• 20140817_184214_resized.jpg
    20140817_184214_resized.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 139
I've always had great luck with LMT for a factory build. I recently decided to sell my MWS to help fund a 6.5 SAUM build but it was crazy accurate. I've also heard great things about JP. For a custom large frame AR I'd call GAP.

No range report as of yet. I'm really having trouble deciding on glass. I'm leaning towards the burris xtrII but I can't decide. I'm pretty sure that I'll only want 2.5-10 power range, but... The only reason I haven't purchased the burris yet is they don't have MOA turrets... Might go with a vortex but I hate the Illum, dial on the PST. Decisions...
I love the feel of the rifle and I worked over the std AR trigger group. I personally like it better than the geisle. It is really nice. Also with this set up. I can go to a 6.5 with a barrel and bolt. Maybe even get another Mega upper and build a strictly 6.5 or .308 variant. I'd probably go with a longer barrel if that was the case. The fit and finish on the mega is awesome. While I'd love to own a GAP rifle. I will say there is something fun to having one YOU put together that is a shooter. I hope this one is for me. I have confidence in the components!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts