AR10... 6.5 or .308?

FreeNHim

LRH Team Member
I guess I should have just given a positive recommendation on a Daniel Defense AR. Uppers were interchangeable, almost like the TC Contender Barrels

ntsqd

I'd love a chance at shooting some of those pigs if you ever need another partner. You're right, Im in Livermore. I just drove up Mines road last Thursday.
The land owners are both LR comp shooters and hunters. Unfortunately I haven't even had a chance at them. :(
The last feral that I know of was taken with an AR10 in .308

Spd522

I’ve got an upper and a lower for an AR 10 build. Trying to make a decision on which direction to go, 6.5 Creedmor or .308. Looking for some help from someone that has experience with AR10s that could nudge me one way or the other with their experiences. I want to use it for long range applications. This will be my first build so any advice would be much appreciated!
I have AR10s in both calibers. Both easily shoot sub MOA. I have had 308s for probably 20 years while the 6.5 was new to me last year. The 6.5 CM shoots a bit softer and flatter. It is extremely accurate. The 308 has a much larger range of bullets and powders to choose from. I have taken deer at 450 with the 308 using handloads out of a 16" barrel. And made head shots on a USPSA shaped steel target at 500. I have shot a LaRue OBR at 1000 with easy hits on target. I have yet to have the opportunity to wring out the 6.5 beyond 300 yds but I am sure it will perform very nicely at 1000 as well.

I am really liking the 6.5 and once I start reloading for it, I will probably like it even more. But if I had to choose between the 308 and 6.5 as the only rifle for all around use, I would never feel at a disadvantage with the 308.

backwoodsshooter

why not both?

i had one in a 308, took the barrel off and slapped a 358win and currently getting a 375 raptor together.

maybe one day soon i can take my first bear with either.

beyond that, something just doesn’t sit right with me thinking of the violent loading of a auto loader and having a lot of bullet out of the case.