AR10 - Buy or Build

I am building a MK 12 Mod 1 already have a Colt Match Target for my start

Now I am waiting for the MK 12 Douglas barrel to come in.

I would go with the DPMS personally. Parts interchangability is good and the 3 I have shot are crazy accurate from their 18" SASS to the 24" LR-308. That said, I have not shot any of the cheapies they have on the market like the sportical.

I have an early DPMS Panther Lite 16, 223, 9 twist. I have it modified with a few toys. It is very solid and accurate. I don't care for the new DPMS, they have a funny feel to them.

I was considering building an upper receiver and sending it into krieger to install a barrel!

This is in the early planning stages, however, have a desire to own an AR10! Something with long range capabilities. I know the AR10 comes in a variety of calibers, but mainly looking at .308. I thought of buying the parts here and there, but also considering the alternative to buy.

I am looking at the Rock River Arms, LAR8 - Varmint A4 w/26" barrel. Rock River Arms: LAR-8 Varmint A4

I would like the Operator CAR Stock and the Advanced Half Quad Handgaurd! I think for the money, this would be hard to beat! Anyone own or shoot one? Impressions or thoughts? Would the 6" of barrel be beneficial to the .308 than the 20"? I understand the gain in FPS. Primary use: paper, rocks, maybe some critters if laws ever permit it.

budsguns.com has some good deals in stock. I bought the Carbine .308 DPMS and then bought a spare 20" barrel. Carbine 308 was 914$

I bought the DPMS LR260....killed 2 birds with one stone. wanted to get into an AR platform and also wanted a 6.5. I had to put an aftermarket trigger to get it to suit me. It shoots .75 inch groups with practically anything you feed it. I have a bunch of 142 gr smk's loaded up for it. I have shot the drops out to 800 yds with it with great results.

My thoughts are that the 24" BBL is more than a plenty as mine is heavy as hell. if I were doing it over I would go with a fluted barrel for weight loss. AJ

I bought the DPMS LR260....killed 2 birds with one stone. wanted to get into an AR platform and also wanted a 6.5. I had to put an aftermarket trigger to get it to suit me. It shoots .75 inch groups with practically anything you feed it. I have a bunch of 142 gr smk's loaded up for it. I have shot the drops out to 800 yds with it with great results.

My thoughts are that the 24" BBL is more than a plenty as mine is heavy as hell. if I were doing it over I would go with a fluted barrel for weight loss. AJ

If I didn't want a 308, 260 would be my other choice! The 6.5 Grendel is nice, however, ammo is an issue!

If I didn't want a 308, 260 would be my other choice! The 6.5 Grendel is nice, however, ammo is an issue!
Not at all my dear Watson....

Buy some 6.5 Grendel small-base dies and throw a bunch of old .308 Win or 7.62 Lake City brass through the sizing die, trim (if you need to), and enjoy.

6.5 Grendel is a caliber I've been obsessed with for well over 10 years. Stays supersonic LONG beyond the .308 Win, and with Berger 140 VLD's should be quite nasty out to 1,200 yards on deer.

Correction on that last; You can't make Grendel cases out of 308 Win; they're completely different head sizes. The Grendel could be made out of 7.62x39, but not the 7.62x51 (7.62 NATO). I think you may be confusing this with the 6.5x47, which shares the same .473" head diameter as the 308/7.62 NATO cartridges.

Dogdinger what did you pay for the LR260? Thats a sweet setup. Friend has one and as you said its SUB MOA with just about anything.

Jimbo

JMHO-
What type of shooting- Static prone or bench vs. tactical, CQB style?
Practical Distance- Range of shooting?
Weight and ergonomics of platform?

I have used many variations of the SR-25 or DPMS style 308 AR platforms in the last 20 years. These were mostly working "Battle Rifles". Most with field expedient mods to make it run for the conditions. Only in the past 5 years or so did I have ready access to all the bling that the internet offers.
My all around favorite for a factory or pre-built 308 rat gun is Mark Larue's 18" OBR- I outshot the bolt guns out to 1300 yrds. w/ factory Black Hills 175SMK's. It's light enough for occasional walks through the forest.
But, as I get older and wiser- lazier, weight and ergonomics are more important.

The FBI has been experimenting with faster twist barrels and lighter bonded rounds. Without giving up their secrets, 155gr bonded 308's are staying supersonic out past 1200yrds in faster rifling.

I currently use POF's 14.5" gas gun as my primary 308 precision gun when a bolt gun just won't do. It's light and can be carried around all day- and will keep up with most of its longer barreled cousins. I even use this when most are using M4 SPR's. I pull off the scope and mount a red dot or holographic site. Nobody notices until it goes bang.

Good Luck

Mike

Mike,
Couldnt agree more. Great platform with the short barrel. EOTECH and the mag out. Once the mag is in all bets are off and they know your cheating :):rolleyes:

Not at all my dear Watson....

Buy some 6.5 Grendel small-base dies and throw a bunch of old .308 Win or 7.62 Lake City brass through the sizing die, trim (if you need to), and enjoy.

6.5 Grendel is a caliber I've been obsessed with for well over 10 years. Stays supersonic LONG beyond the .308 Win, and with Berger 140 VLD's should be quite nasty out to 1,200 yards on deer.

Sorry, was speaking of factory ammo!

Correction on that last; You can't make Grendel cases out of 308 Win; they're completely different head sizes. The Grendel could be made out of 7.62x39, but not the 7.62x51 (7.62 NATO). I think you may be confusing this with the 6.5x47, which shares the same .473" head diameter as the 308/7.62 NATO cartridges.
Kevin, you are correct, just saw this post. Yes, I had a brain fart and completely spaced...Yes, 7.62x39 is what I was referring to, but had it all ***-backwards in my head.

My appologies for the misinformation before.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.