Build vs buy

Lots of good factory rifles these days. If 1 fits what you want or need no sense going the custom route. Customs are nice, exactly what you want/spec out, often times shoot very well but expensive and a wait. Lots of good used custom rifles out there currently as well for really reasonable prices.

I bought my first AR10 (DPMS) and then spent $$$ changing what I didn't like so it fit my purpose. Basically, I kept the barrel ( it was and still is very accurate), bare upper and lower receivers, and the buffer tube. And replaced everything else. By the time I added in the cost of replacement parts to the base gun, I was at about double. Since then I have built my own with the parts I wanted from the start and still had less in it. Most have been 308 but the latest was a 6.5 CM.

If you build your own, be aware there are some differences in individual manufacturer fit and finish. I have gotten upper and lower receivers from the same manufacturer that had slightly different color finishes even though they were black. Some use a high tang upper vs low tang which can determine which handguard you need to line up. Some uppers won't fit a different make of lower. DPMS/ Remington/Bushmaster/KAC SR25 and most others use the same pattern and parts. Armalite has their own design, as does Rock River. So you have to watch that as well.

The 308 I built last year took 4 whitetails from 65-430 yards. This year's 6.5 CM build got two but both were under 200 yds so I didn't get to see it do it's stuff at a long distance. Now, the rifle part of the season is over so I will use a 6.5 Grendel pistol I built for the remainder of the firearms season.

I've bought and built.
Will build from now on.
Have all the parts on hand to build two more AR15s.
Buy a PSA and you will likely start building.
If you build an AR10 variant, research all the components carefully. Even parts that are "DPMS" compatible from different vendors do not play well together.

Ridgeline titanium $ 2500.00.... There is money to be saved and the off the shelf guns have come lightyears from where they were just Five years ago.Take a look at the new offerings from Weatherby as an example. Tika/Sako, Howa even..
With the exchange rate and Aussie dollars that rifle could be nearly $5000, anyway I'm just suggesting doing the math when working out what suits, mine is a budget build but I am hoping for good results.

I've built about 10 AR's they are like logos for men lot of fun. You can build a cheap rifle kit gun for very little money or buy every individual part you want and spend as much money as your wallet can stand.

build it for sure. i've never bought a factory AR15 or LR308. why spend $700 on a rifle and then another $700 adding and replacing stuff? you could have just spent $1400 and built a very nice rifle.

i buy the exact parts i want and make it how i want the first time around. it's also a good idea because you see how they're assembled and how they work. if something ever goes wrong, then you know how to fix it.

plus, this way you can buy the stuff over time. i buy stuff when it's on sale and then one day you've got enough parts to assemble a full rifle.

There are plenty of good factory rifles these days, I'm not sure what the availability looks like but if it's anything like the parts market then good luck!

I've built a lot of AR's over the years and have yet to buy one off a shelf. For me I originally got into building them primarily because it was easier for me to throw $200-$300 at parts every couple months compared to dropping the full price tag at once. Ever since that first build though I've never had the desire to buy a complete rifle because I know there would be parts I'd want to change out.

In hind sight, the biggest benefit of building is that you learn the rifle system inside and out. I have friends that couldn't tell you if they had a piston setup or direct impingement ... or what either of those even mean. Hell they don't even know how to properly clean and lube their rifles. If something went wrong with them they wouldn't have a clue where to even start trying to troubleshoot the issue.

All that to say, definitely build your AR's yourself, you'll be more knowledgeable and happier in the end!

Last edited:
Post range results please!
73grn berger.jpg

10 shot group W/ Valkyrie @ 100yds during load testing....Aero upper/lower/bcg...Cmmg 24" barrel...timney trigger and Vortex scope. I've had better using Hornady 73grn, but this'll do for now. Downside is the barrel is a 7 twist, and I can't seem to stabilize the heavies....or at least found a load it likes.

With respect to either buying versus building a custom AR: there are only a few high end AR's I would buy. Spikes Tactical, Daniel's Defense, LWRC, Black Rain. LWRC being the absolute king of the AR's out of the box. never get a Direct gas impingement when you can get a piston drive system. LWRC and Adam's Arms both offer Piston systems. I have worked with both. I build Custom AR's in my little gunsmith shop. I always ask if they want reliability or lesser expensive. you would be surprised at the looks I get. if they want reliability then I always use Adam's arms or Superlative Arms piston drive kits on my custom AR's. only when they want to save money do I use direct gas impingement.
ask yourself this question: do I want the fun of picking out all my parts, making it almost the exact way I want it and am I willing to pay upwards to $4,500.00 USD for an AR that has everything and all the right parts on it? If not, then buy a reputable brand name and up-grade the base model when you find out which parts you really want/need on the gun. by that time you will have worked with it a bit and will know what parts, what extended levers you need, and how you and your gun need to interface.
Yes that is part of my job. making customer understand what they want and how to get it. The best way to find out what you like and what accessories, levers, and such you want on your AR.. fondle as many AR's as possible with all the cool stuff on them.. make note of the things that make each of the AR's good and bad, then start a list. it will help you pick out the right base model and what to put on or delete from yours.
Curious why you would never go with DI if a piston version is available. Any first hand issues from DI guns you can expand on? I own both so I'm not trying to start anything, just curious.

I'm about to build my second rifle. The first was a .243 that became a safe Queen, so I stripped it apart and sold it all. This one is going to be my new deer/bear rifle chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. Both are/were built on savage actions. I choose to build because I simply enjoy the process. Plus, you can choose the exact barrel/stock/trigger combo. There's a certain satisfaction about shooting tight groups with a rifle you've built yourself; sort of like catching a bass on a lure you built yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.