7prc > 7rm ??

My only PRC, but it's been ok so far.
That's H1000 and a 180HT, about 130 shots through a 26" 1-8tw

Some guy named Houston, no my bad, Dallas put it together in Idaho.
Dallas Lane, yeah that's it.

Attachments

• IMG_8519.jpeg
    IMG_8519.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Look up WhoteeWho on YouTube. I have no idea how to link anything.
It may have been only 2800fps, but whatever, just another Hornady hype fest cartridge…

Cheers.

That guy is a bumbling idiot and if memory serves me he was shooting it out of a Ruger American. You can hardly expect one of those sewer pipes to get top velocity. Plenty of people are getting as advertised velocity with good barrels and chambers. My 22" Seekins is getting 2935 out of the gate with 175gr ELD-X and that was the first 20 rounds through the gun, the barrel will speed up some too as they always do.

I can tell you this. I rebarrelled my RM to a 7.5 twist. I'm shooting 195 Bergers at 2950 and they are making bughole groups. (It is a 29" tube)

I just think it matters if you want to buy a new gun, rebarrel an old gun, or if you are ok with shooting 168 gr boolits. The RM has the same muscle as the PRC when they have the same twist. If you simply want more uumph, look at a 28 Nosler, 7 RUM or like someone else said a STW. There are other options like a 7-300 WM, 7-300 Norma, and numerous other wildcats to push faster.

I wanted something that would send the heavies at 2900 fps+, and didn't want to buy new brass and dies. The RM was the ticket for me.

Hope this is helpful.

My only PRC, but it's been ok so far.
That's H1000 and a 180HT, about 130 shots through a 26" 1-8tw

Some guy named Houston, no my bad, Dallas put it together in Idaho.
Dallas Lane, yeah that's it.
I've had two 7RM barrels from him in '12 and '16, both ran 180hybrids about 3030-3040
He certainly does something a little different with his chambering.

Funny, watched another video today someone chronographing 7PRC factory Hornady Match ammo, box says 3000fps for 175's…guess what? Does only mid 2800fps. The more videos showing this proves the HYPE surrounding these PRC cartridges…
It isn't the guns they are being shot in either…
It is quite obvious that their velocities are rather inflated to try and match the 6.8 Western…

Cheers.

Last edited:
Yep, not as advertised. Barrel is a 24" Proof CF. Pic of velocity was through a new barrel. It sped up to 2889 after 100 rounds, but it's still slow. Accuracy was 3/4" @ 100. I can load for it and will be doing so soon. I'd be ****ed if I couldn't load. Marketing burnt a lot of people I bet. I'll be pushing Berger 175s. I have R26, H1000, IMR7828 to try.

Attachments

• IMG_1756.jpeg
    IMG_1756.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1597.jpeg
    IMG_1597.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1596.jpeg
    IMG_1596.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 84
It comes down to what is defined as "Better".
The 7PRC was designed to take advantage of the heavier high BC bullets that were not available in 1962. Most factory 7RM rifles are too slow of twist to take advantage of those bullets. It's simply the evolution of bullet development that demanded a new caliber with new faster twist factory rifles. If you hand load a 7RM throw on a fast twist barrel, buy some heavy bullets and be happy.
Side note, I've never seen any factory advertised velocity live up to their claims.

If you have a 7RM that works and esp if u reload no reason to buy new 7PRC. New twist, heavy for caliber high BC bullets, standard mag length and esp the factory ammo option are the advantages for the 7PRC. If u reload or have a custom 7RM it's a moot point. My 24" proof carbon barrel shoots factory 175eldx at 2930 in 7PRC. The new PRC line is just updated calibers from earlier years not making them obsolete. The advantage is in the longer ranges. If you have a 7RM shoot it. If u are in the market for 284 caliber why not buy. 7 PRC.

I agree with the comments that if you are going to hand load, the 7RM or 280AI can do about anything you need/want with a variety of combination of loads. If you are going to shoot factory ammo then the 7 PRC might be better for you. I have a 280AI that shoots very well, and feel that i dont need another 7 at thr moment.

I did recently purchase a sako s-20 in 6.5 PRC. Out of the box using factory hornady ammo we were able to stretch it out to 800m before missing thr 1000m target. Bought it for a hunt out west, because I didnt want to bang up my 264WM. Is it a 264 WM? No. Is it very accuate ? Absolutely! 3000 fps suppressed is somethjng a little different. I will try to formulate my own load. It come down to preference. Same arguement can be made for 6.5 Cm versus thr 6.5x55.