7prc > 7rm ??

If you are looking for a factory rifle with factory ammo in 7mm that offers 175 grain(ish) bullets prc is the one, if you want power and you have budget "ALLOT" of better options (IMO) get the correct twist for heavies and never look back. Hornady hit a lick with the PRC line, it's legit, it's not the be all end all for the common guy that wants available ammo and no frills the ELDX ammo works in the prc lines that is pretty inviting and they are cashing in on the convenience factor. Well done for them, solid people, solid company - PRC just isn't my thing, but it works very well all of them.

I have a semi custom 7stw with 1-8 twist shoots 195's lights out and a long ways. For typical hunting scenarios the 7mm wby or rem with 155-160 grain bullets still kills them dead from hogs to african antelope here in texas.

I would do a 7 LRM or 28 Nosler build before a 7 PRC. It may be difficult to get brass but not impossible. As I said in the SAUM thread, the 7 PRC is bunch of hype from Hornady. They should have done the full diameter of the 404 Jeffery case (WSM diameter) instead of using the 300 RCM case, keep the 30 degree shoulder or bump to 35 degree, keep the same COL and they likely would have nailed it. Basically the 28 Nosler with a slightly shorter case.

Your description sounds like a classic 7WSM. The 7WSM is probably one of the most underrated cartridges of our time. I've had two custom rifles in 7WSM but finally moved on because high quality brass never became available. Without cartridge support, things go south pretty fast.

MM,
I do not have any experience with the STW's but is there any reason you prefer STW over The RUM cartridges?
When I worked at a major gun store here as a full time gunsmith, we played with several chamberings on the STW case, it filled nicely and 6.5mm was the smallest we could get to work without dented shoulders and other weird pressure events. Did the same on the 300WSM case from 6mm to 338, the 25 was my favourite.
Then the RUM came along. We got several stainless SPS REM 700's in, most were 300, but 2 were 7 RUM. I bought one to fool around with, we had access to the 3 levels of factory ammo power levels and had no reloading data, so we experimented trying to duplicate the factory fodder. Dented shoulders, sooted cases to the extraction groove prevailed and the barrel was toast in less than 500 rounds…
This is why I don't like the 7RUM, too much of a good thing, and I think Remington new this.

Cheers.

Look up WhoteeWho on YouTube. I have no idea how to link anything.
It may have been only 2800fps, but whatever, just another Hornady hype fest cartridge…

Cheers.
Hype is just that hype. If it doesn't do something well or it doesn't have great support it goes by the wayside. 300 wsm had all sorts of hupe, and it's around, but not all that popular. I've seen a ton of hype around thr 6.8 Western, but not really seeing much support around it. Great rounds, and oh how it beats the 7 Rem Mag. Yet most are still going with a Rem Mag.

I love the ole Rem Mag, and I am really liking the PRC from my little experience with it. Factory ammo shot great and really wasn't priced horribly. It wasn't hard to find handloads that shot lights out. I always trnded to have a more difficult time with my Rem Mag hand loads. Could have very easily been me, but it took more time to tune.

Let me give you the consensus from The last thread. Factory rifles with the better twist to shoot heavies. If you build a rifle the point is mute. The chamber design is better as well but again if your going custom you can do that as well.
That is what the guys on the Hornady podcast on 7PRC said also. New purchase, factory ammo = 7PRC. Custom 7RM barrel twist was what they did before 7PRC.

Even building a rifle and reloading for it I'd take the PRC just for the case design that is going to be more inherently accurate and doesn't have a belt.

Yes you can push a 7RM a little faster loading because it has a slightly higher case capacity but the difference is extremely minimal. If I wanted more gas I'd just go to a 28 Nosler or 7RUM.

I think the issue with the 7PRC and velocity is it was introduced at a time when many of us have chronographs. Many of the older rounds that listed velocity either in adds or on the box came no where near in real life but most folks had no way to check. Helped a friend with a PRC, he likes to shoot chases Elk and deer and wanted to use factory ammunition. Loves the 7 PRC shot one deer and bought a case of ammo and is happy as a clam. I don't know how many he has killed now but he is a happy camper. I do understand the complaining about new stuff. Ever since the .458 win mag came out .423 barrels have been hard to find. I can make brass out of the Rem ultra brass but barrels and bullets are difficult. Luddite's unite!

Funny, watched another video today someone chronographing 7PRC factory Hornady Match ammo, box says 3000fps for 175's…guess what? Does only mid 2800fps. The more videos showing this proves the HYPE surrounding these PRC cartridges…
It isn't the guns they are being shot in either…
It is quite obvious that their velocities are rather inflated to try and match the 6.8 Western…

Cheers.
First of all this has nothing to do with 7PRC or 7RM or 30-06 or whatever other cartridge you care to name. Its Hornady's claimed velocity numbers on the factory ammunition. For example in my 6.5 Creedmore (I haven't bothered with dies for this caliber) with a 24" barrel I get an average of 2,610 shooting 140 ELDMs, the box claims 2,710. Further the swings in velocity are unbelievable going from below 2,600 to as high as 2,690. On the other hand shooting 144 Berger LRHTs I get and average of 2,725 the box claims 2,830. However Berger use 26" barrels for their stated velocities (Hornady uses the industry standard 24" I believe). So my velocity tracks with the Berger claims. Additionally the swing in the Bergers is around 30fps. This has got nothing to do with the hype around the 6.5 Creedmore. It has to do with Hornady doesn't produce particularly good ammunition. It underperforms claims and its inconsistent.

Second, the 7PRC was not developed and doesn't claim to be faster than the 7RM. In fact the 7RM's case capacity is slightly larger than the 7PRC case capacity so if anything the 7RM should be faster than the 7PRC. The goal of the 7PRC design and specs is to be a more accurate factory SAAMI spec'd caliber that is capable of using longer, higher BC bullets in a retail rifle. This goal was achieved. Built to SAAMI specs the chamber tolerances are tighter, the COAL is longer, the twist rate is tighter. It is a more accurate round particularly at distance. Additionally because of the high BC bullets that can be used it is faster down range and less effected by wind. Thus flatter shooting with less drift, more accurate. These are undeniable facts. The design of the 7PRC has nothing to do with creating faster muzzle velocity.

That said inside of 500 or 600 yards there will be a virtually no difference. Further given the nearly identical case capacity there is no question that anybody could have a barrel cut with tight tolerances and a 1/8 twist and achieve 7PRC performance. The point of the 7PRC is to enable the average Joe to go to the local Cabelas or Sportsmen's Warehouse and buy a rifle off the shelve and be good to go. That goal was achieved.

Last edited:
The problem is that nobody takes barrel quality or chamber into consideration. I have two 22" 7PRC's and one gets 2935fps with factory precision hunter and the other that has more rounds through it and should have sped up some only gets 2860fps.

There are plenty of people with 24-26" high quality barrels that are getting published velocity.

Also ammo will vary a bit lot to lot and Hornady is among the worst I've experienced for lot to lot consistency.

Only advantage, theoretically, is the 8" twist standard on factory rifles.
I watched Whoteewho shoot his, and the lacklustre velocity of the factory ammo was a huge negative for me. As I said in another thread, 2800fps, and that is NOT what the Hornady match ammo with a 175g ELD-X was doing, the box said that, but it was 26xx something. Is a huge turnoff for me. I'll stick with the 7-08 on the slow accurate end, and the STW for top end speed.

Cheers.
Absolutely love the 7X08 It's a keeper, and shot it for years, does everything. I use the 139gr eld-X and love those also, do reload mine with the same seed

The problem is that nobody takes barrel quality or chamber into consideration. I have two 22" 7PRC's and one gets 2935fps with factory precision hunter and the other that has more rounds through it and should have sped up some only gets 2860fps.

There are plenty of people with 24-26" high quality barrels that are getting published velocity.

Also ammo will vary a bit lot to lot and Hornady is among the worst I've experienced for lot to lot consistency.
My comments and comparisons were from the same rifle with different brands of factory ammo with Federal premium shooting 275 fps faster than Hornady with the same 175gr. ELDX bullet. I would say to Hornady that if you're going to claim it back it up