Rem 783 7RM???

coop2564

SIL bought the above as a project rifle. It shoots about 1.25 with several brands factory. He wound up ruining the factory stock playing around with it and lost interest in the gun when he bought a AR. Gave it to me. I have a great 7RM one holer gun already. What would you do with it? I kinda like the thought of rebarrel to 264 WM but is this action worth trying anything?

Don't underestimate the 783. It's no custom Defiance action but it shouldn't be counted out for not being a R700. It's basically a Remington built version of a Savage 10. Nutted barrel, 2-piece bolt, yadda yadda. It's going to have all the benefits of those features which is basically it'll be easy to make it a solid shooter as a DIY project. Whatever you want to do with it, it's a decent donor action for. Since it's a magnum bolt face already and belts kinda suck (even if 7RM is possibly my all time fave), you might consider something in an unbelted magnum like the WSM/RSAUM families. Better brass life and you can custom throat the thing to run long for a little extra case capacity. You canswap out the bolt head to a PTG head on a non-magnum face and run basically any other cartridge that's no longer than a .300wm, even set it up as a switch barrel gun.

If you can't find anything to do with it, send it to me and I'll set it up as a 6XC on my spare barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.