7mm STW Reloading Thread

Here's a question for some of you who have more knowledge of cases than I do.

The 7 STW was based off of the H&H case, and these can still be used to form 7 STW cases. Is this correct?

Second question; The 308 norma mag is also based off of the H&H case. So, could you use the 308 norma mag brass to make STW brass?

I ask because my dad has a 308 norma that he no longer shoots, and I was wondering if I could for STW brass from it by simply resizing this brass?

Thanks for the help guys!

The 7 STW was based off of the H&H case, and these can still be used to form 7 STW cases. Is this correct?

Second question; The 308 norma mag is also based off of the H&H case. So, could you use the 308 norma mag brass to make STW brass?

I ask because my dad has a 308 norma that he no longer shoots, and I was wondering if I could for STW brass from it by simply resizing this brass?

I think the Norma bass is 2.560 and the Stw is 2.840 .....as far as the H@H case you are correct but is alot easier to use 8mm Rem mag cases

If you necked them down and blew them out, you'd have next to no neck left. Been there, done that firing a 7rem in an stw chamber. Not the best of ideas.

I just looked into this today surprisingly. The 375 H&H will work but you'll mushroom the shoulder if you try to go in one step. You need to drop down to 8 mag then down to the stw, and some recommended annealing after the 8mag sizing.
I just formed an 8mag to stw yesterday in one shot. The neck/shoulder junction isn't as "crisp" as rem factory brass but it doesn't have a "doughnut" either.

8 mm mag is based off the H&H, and the STW based off the 8 mag.

I just looked into this today surprisingly. The 375 H&H will work but you'll mushroom the shoulder if you try to go in one step. You need to drop down to 8 mag then down to the stw, and some recommended annealing after the 8mag sizing.
I just formed an 8mag to stw yesterday in one shot. The neck/shoulder junction isn't as "crisp" as rem factory brass but it doesn't have a "doughnut" either.

8 mm mag is based off the H&H, and the STW based off the 8 mag.

8rem, 338win, or 300win will all work as a mid step for 375 reforming to 7stw; just match the shoulder position so you don't set it back. Done over a hundred casings this way. Fireform with a mild load and have at it after trimming square.

I am working up a new load for elk this year.
Because of the shortage of supplies, I will be using what I have on the shelf currently (tired of waiting)
I have Rem brass, Retumbo powder, Barnes 175 gr TSX pills, 215M primers.
Anybody use this combo and want to share their sweet spot and results?
This will be my first shot at loading for this caliber. Oh yeah, rifle is a factory Sendero.
Thanks in advance.

I am working up a new load for elk this year.
Because of the shortage of supplies, I will be using what I have on the shelf currently (tired of waiting)
I have Rem brass, Retumbo powder, Barnes 175 gr TSX pills, 215M primers.
Anybody use this combo and want to share their sweet spot and results?
This will be my first shot at loading for this caliber. Oh yeah, rifle is a factory Sendero.
Thanks in advance.
I would start at 75gr and work up from there, I have never shot the 175's but i would say they will shoot just fine Retumbo is a "Fluffy" powder and Im sure the 175's are long so its gonna be a full or compressed charge but its nothin to worry about, I seat my bullets at 3.6125......You can seat them longer than that in a Rem but thats what works for me

Can anybody out there help me with where to start working up loads with RL50 and RL33 with 180 gr Bergers And 215m's? Have a bunch of rl 50 and 4 pounds of rl33 coming and would like to know where to start. Thanks!

Can anybody out there help me with where to start working up loads with RL50 and RL33 with 180 gr Bergers And 215m's? Have a bunch of rl 50 and 4 pounds of rl33 coming and would like to know where to start. Thanks!
I don't shoot berger but with rl50, I'd top at 86 grains with a 175 grain bullet, so within 1 grain of that with the 180, either 85 or 86 top. With rl33 I'd top at 80-82 grains with the 180. I have shot both powders in my stw with the 171 barnes and at 86 rl50 I was at 3100 fps; with rl33 the pressure was rather stout by 82 grains (never chrono'd), though the poop chart goes to 84-85 grains with a 175.

Howdy all! New to the STW. Wanted the old 8mm mag as a kid, but when Layne came out w/the STW, everything changed. Just bought a Ruger No. 1 that was rebarreled with a 26" Douglas stainless job. Only has a couple hundred through it. It seems to be a pretty fast (3500 w/Trophy Grade 140gr Partition factory stuff) barrel and is MOA for 3 rounds. My question is, any suggestions for 160gr Accubonds or 168gr Berger Classics with Magnum? Also, how far off the lands is a good starting point. My max with the A-Bombs is 3.815. I've read that the STW likes a bit of jump...

Thanks in advance,

John

Hi guys,
I'm currently thinking about building either a 7 STW or a 7 LRM, I'm planning on shooting either the 168 VLDs or the 168 LRAB and would like to know what you guys are getting for real world velocities out of your STWs with the 168s. What powders are you finding work best for accuracy and velocity

thanks

Brotherhood! Hey guys, I know you all (by reading 428 pages of the STW thread now), but this is my first post.

I've got a decent Rem 700 STW (one of the newer ones) with a bell and Carlson stock on it. It shoots Nosler Custom 160 gr. Accubonds really nice, but I have a buddy that reloads and we're in process of working up some loads for the 168 grain Accubond LR's.

This is my first time working up a load for a rifle so any suggestions in developing loads and laddering up would be appreciated.

For the first go round he loaded me up a box of shells in groups of 3 at various charges of H1000 with Fed 215 primers in Nosler Brass from 74 grains up to 78 all at box length.

I got a good tight group ~ 5/8" at 75 grains and things were coming together again at 78 grains. I had no pressure signs at 78. Where do y'all expect the top end charge to be on this bullet with H1000? We'll work up gradually but don't want to miss a good load by stopping too soon and also don't want to load up a bunch of stuff that's too hot and will have to be pulled.

My chrono is down, but will be back in business for my next session so I can't give you any velocity info yet.

Not sure if we should now go back to 75 & 78 grains and vary powder in 0.2 grain increments or if I should vary seating depth (COAL) with the best load we had then vary powder again.

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the great info. Like I said - read the big STW thread thru 430 pages now and just finished reading the 32 pages of the reloading thread. Looking forward to being part of the crew here!

Coop