New 7mm stw shooter, need reloading data

Got a customer using 81 gr of reloader 22 with a 150 barnes ttsx. Its going 3600 fps and grouped under 2" at 600 yards off the bipod. It was a pretty hot load but it shot great and was a laser, start off with a lot less powder. It did good on deer if you hit em in the high shoulder. He said if they were hit behind the shoulder it took awhile for them to expire because the bullet didn't expand at all.

Got a customer using 81 gr of reloader 22 with a 150 barnes ttsx. Its going 3600 fps and grouped under 2" at 600 yards off the bipod. It was a pretty hot load but it shot great and was a laser, start off with a lot less powder. It did good on deer if you hit em in the high shoulder. He said if they were hit behind the shoulder it took awhile for them to expire because the bullet didn't expand at all.
A bit harsh on the charge weights.... That load wouldn't go anywhere NEAR my rifle.

Ya it is a pretty hot load. He only shoots that gun during the late doe season in Iowa. Its usually pretty cold that time of year, January. It was cold enough when he was load testing that he had to switch to magnum primers, little bit of hangfires with regular primers. I think he might of backed it down to 80.5 which is still around 3550 fps. Im just wondering how long his barrel will last.

His pipe won't last that long at that pressure. He's got to be between 75 and 80 kpsi at that speed with that powder and bullet. I wouldn't even want to touch that pipe for a re-barrel if he's been running that stuff through it; the dang action will likely have issues like stress cracks. I'm surprised some moniker like "hot tamale" hasn't been mentioned yet......Heck, the 7rum won't run within 150 fps of that in a 26" bbl; he's ~250 fps hot of a safe load.

He said at 81 gr it was sticky bolt lift. So he backed it down to 80.5 and it was easy again. Primers looked fine. 29" Brux barrel. And at under 2" at 600 yds it doesnt shoot bad either.

He didnt try anything else but 22. Its a Brux barrel. They clean up real quick. My brux barrels only take a few wet patches and theyre clean. Another bonus about Brux is I havent had one that wont shoot under 2" at 600 yards for me or a customer.

He said at 81 gr it was sticky bolt lift. So he backed it down to 80.5 and it was easy again. Primers looked fine. 29" Brux barrel. And at under 2" at 600 yds it doesnt shoot bad either.
I've got some strain gauge graphs from my old Sendero stw on the main brotherhood thread. The old win 150 grain factory load was doing 3300 fps in that rifle and was peaking at over 70 kpsi with no stiff lift at all. Even with 3" more bbl. he's still playing with fire getting that much out of her.
Everyone's played with their rifles to see where they can really go; I've seen 4000 fps with a 7rum and a 120, but I didn't stay there as even though it was a book load it was well over where I could justify running the rifle( and a bunch over book estimated speed). Brass and barrel life mean more to me than the last 100 fps.

He didnt try anything else but 22. Its a Brux barrel. They clean up real quick. My brux barrels only take a few wet patches and theyre clean. Another bonus about Brux is I havent had one that wont shoot under 2" at 600 yards for me or a customer.
I may have to try brux when I eventually re-barrel my current rifle. I'm happy but not ecstatic about the way it shoots. Are they only stainless, or do they do blued also? I've got a bdl so I may stay with blued. I already made a deal with the wife to re-barrel and not buy another rifle when this barrel goes south. She'd rather I get what I want instead of just what's easy to find.

They have stainless or chrome moly. If you get chrome moly you will have to have it cerakoted or blued, they do not offer that service. 320 shipped for a 30" finish length stainless steel barrel. Chrome moly is around 25.00 cheaper. I believe their lead time is 16 weeks right now.

Anyone have a Brux 7mm STW barrel? If so how do you like it? And what are the spec?

Lee, I have a #4 Brux, on a custom 280 that I just built that was intended to BE a 7 STW. I can tell you it is the most accurate and easy to clean custom barrel that I own. It measures 26.5 inches finished, 4 groove, and is slicker then greased lightening inside. It dosen't foul, and broke in in less then 30 rounds, and more like 20. I highly recommend them !!!!
BTW, Welcome to the Brotherhood! :)

good morning gentlemen,

i am new to the 7mm stw group and my first post. i have been ready along for some time. i have a new 700 sps all factory execpt for a mussle brake and triger job. i am gettig to reload for this and cannot find any rl22,25or 33 any where. i did pick up some 7828 the other day to try. i pland on shooting the barnes 168 lrx or maybe the nolser 168 lr when they show. i see you guy seem to like the retumbo or h1000. was the 7828 not a good choice for this weight bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.