New 7mm stw shooter, need reloading data

Bownut, if you get a chance, try the Berger 168 VLD's. and if you want to try something really hefty with some punch try the Berger 180 VLD's.

I have heard good things about 7828, and have 1lb of it sitting on the bench, but haven't tried it. My magnums really seem to like H1000.

I have been using 168 VLD Bergers with 77grains of Retumbo with very good success. I have found the 180s to follow suit as well.

good morning gentlemen,

i am new to the 7mm stw group and my first post. i have been ready along for some time. i have a new 700 sps all factory execpt for a mussle brake and triger job. i am gettig to reload for this and cannot find any rl22,25or 33 any where. i did pick up some 7828 the other day to try. i pland on shooting the barnes 168 lrx or maybe the nolser 168 lr when they show. i see you guy seem to like the retumbo or h1000. was the 7828 not a good choice for this weight bullet.

7828 will do, but retumbo, rl25, and rl33 will do better. I'd try 7828 with data from the hodgdon site; it may just turn out to be a heck of a load.

This run on stuff needs to quit. I'm tired of playing games the few times I need something. I'm not even really stocking up at all lately as there really aren't any deals to be had anywhere.

good morning gentlemen,

i am new to the 7mm stw group and my first post. i have been ready along for some time. i have a new 700 sps all factory execpt for a mussle brake and triger job. i am gettig to reload for this and cannot find any rl22,25or 33 any where. i did pick up some 7828 the other day to try. i pland on shooting the barnes 168 lrx or maybe the nolser 168 lr when they show. i see you guy seem to like the retumbo or h1000. was the 7828 not a good choice for this weight bullet.

Bow, first of all, Welcome to the Brotherhood!!:) as to your question on the 7828' and 168 LRX, or LR nosler version. The 168 LRX Barnes bullet has a lot of bearing surface. That being said, the push needs to be a slow and steady one, such as H1000, RL25, or similar. The 7828 is an awesome powder, and is definitely a player in the world of the STW. However, and I can feel some frowns already, I feel it is BEST suited for 140-154, maybe, 160 class bullets. I know it's the only thing you have now, and that alone really sucks. I had a STW at one time that absolutely loved 7828' and 150 grain CT, or Partitions. That rifle was a straight 9 twist, and would shoot anything I put into it, but it shot the 150's into a dot all day, and 7828 was the fuel.
You can use the 7828, and your accuracy will come near the top end, as that bullet needs RPM's to stabilize. You won't have trouble with a Berger, or a Nosler, but the LRX is a REALLY long bullet.
As a example, my 7 mag will not stabilize that bullet, but when shot from a STW, that has the same twist, it does stabilize. That being said, with the 7828, you MIGHT hit pressures before you get the speed you want, or maybe even the speed needed to make it go to sleep.
" BlackSheep", is the 168LRX guru here on this site. Maybe he will chime in and give you the " Secret " formula! good luck with your new rifle, and don't be afraid to ask a question or two. Once you wrap your head around the STW, you are hooked for life!

thanks for the input,
i have seen some rl50 any thought on this powder with the 168 barnes or 168 noslor lr.

this lack of podwer is a real drag..

i am going to play with the 7828 some. i may have to shoot some barnes 145 lxr is the 168 don't work. i would prefer the 168 for longer shots.

I have been told you can use 50 BMG powders for the STW, but pressures can get really high if you're not careful, so I decided not to try it for now.

However, you could always call or email Alliant and find out what they recommend for starting load for RL50. I would be curious to find out as well.

I have been told you can use 50 BMG powders for the STW, but pressures can get really high if you're not careful, so I decided not to try it for now.

However, you could always call or email Alliant and find out what they recommend for starting load for RL50. I would be curious to find out as well.
Actually, the bmg burning rate powders are slow enough you will have to work at it a bit to get seriously over pressure. It can be done and you can still make a bomb of your rifle, but it is a bit harder to do than with faster stuff.

With the 171 barnes I was using 86 grains rl50 while running test loads. For the 168 I'd top there or 1-2 grain more but start 10% down at ~77 grain.

Sorry 7STW, I was out of town last week, and didn't see that I was summoned. :D
My recipe is 82gr of Retumbo lit by a rem 9 1/2M primer under a 168 barnes LRX. This is a STOUT load! approach it with great caution.
I still can't find retumbo, (but I have a buddy with 9lbs of it if necessary) and since I'm having an Edge built, I grabbed 9lbs of H1000. I figured I'll just use H1000 for both the STW and Edge. I also grabbed 4lbs of RL33 to experiment with in both. Should be interesting....gun)

you guys are great to share info. i have been reading through the 7mm stw forum on page 68 now every interesting info. i look forward to get some handloads worked up for this rifle. as the rem. 140 corelocks shoot like a shotgun at 100 yards. 3 shot at about 3.5 in.

not worried yet as i have been able to get all myother rifles to shoot under 3/4 with a little work. i hope to get this one under 1/2 so i can make a good long rage rifle out of it. deer and elk to 1000 if everything comes together.

i am still looking for powder out here in Utah. seams to be gone befor it hits the shelf.

Black Sheep thanks for the info sounds like the load i am looking for.

i may grab some of the rl50 to try and give it a try.. at least i will beable to shoot this new toy and see what it will do.

good morning Guys,

i just scord on some H1000 so now i can start to work up a load. i will post results as the come.

thanks for the help so far

you guys are great

good morning guys,

i finally got to loads some H1000 behind the 162 Amax i bought to play with. also tried so rl50 with 168 LRX.

the amax were tested at 79, 80, 81 grains no presure signs with any of the powder weights. the 80 grain produced a 3 shot clover at 100.

the rl50 were loaded in 2 shot groups from 80 to 87 grains to see how the presure was going to be.
80-to 83 grains to shot groups at about 1/2 to 3/4 in group. not bad. at 84 grains the case was a little sticky in the chamber. 1 shot at 85 grains case was very difficult to remove from the chamber.

i didn't shoot any through the chrono. will try this weekend.

i am going to work with the H1000 and the 168 LRX to see what i get. i very much like the barnes bullets. i would like to see how the new noslers are going to shoot.

any input would be a great help.

Black Sheep,

is there a ready supply of powder in your neck of the woods??

if so i might take the wife for a ride to Wendover as that is only a couple of hours away.

Black Sheep,

if so i might take the wife for a ride to Wendover as that is only a couple of hours away.
The powder supply up here has been flaky lately too. It comes and goes, but just mostly goes. If you are running 160gr. or heavier bullets in the stw one of the offerings for the 50bmg will often be the ticket. They even seem to be a bit easier to find at times lately.
I'd tell you to go to 86- 88 gr 5010 with your 162 and forget the rest but I can't find a supply of that at present. H50bmg is supposed to replace 5010. I haven't worked with h50bmg but have gone to wc872 and rl33-rl50 for the slow stuff.
I'm a bit surprised that you had pressure issues at 84-85 gr rl50 with the 162 as I was able to top at 86 gr with the 171 barnes match with no pressure issues.

Last edited:
Black Sheep,

*LAUGHING*
Um, no! There's no powder here at all, ever. Used to buy mine in Elko, or Salt Lake until everyone lost their minds! I got lucky a few weeks ago, and caught 8lb jugs of H1000 and RL33 at Third Generation Shooting Supply, and had it shipped in. Also, a few weeks ago I got lucky, and found a brick of Fed 215GM primers!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts