7mm stw

harleybug

So I finally got a look at the 7mm stw round in person and now I want it even more. My concern is I'm using a Remington 700 that is current chambered for 7 mag and I've been told that the 7mm stw doesn't require me to change anything on the action accept order my new barrel and rechambering it. But the stw is noticeably longer and I'm worried about cycling and feeding problems. Has anyone used a 7mag receiver for a donor and how does it work. Any recommendations or advice is appreciated.

No one has used a donor action to build a 7mm stw, with how popular this round is on this sight I thought for sure someone would have some advice.

Or use the Winchester action as a donor that was seven mag. It made it no problem. I do not have a Remington action that was a seven mag. The two Remington I have are seven stw already. It will work no problem

No one has used a donor action to build a 7mm stw, with how popular this round is on this sight I thought for sure someone would have some advice.

I have one built off a 700 7RUM action. Works just fine. And I have my all original Sendero SF 7mmSTW that I ordered brand new in 2002.

To be able to take full advantage of the length lf the 7mm STW and use it as a repeater, you will have to install a Wyatts Extended 4.000" magazine box setup. It will require gunsmith work.

You won't have to use the Wyatt's box if you load your ammo to SAAMI spec. However, who wants to do that??? Especially when you have a nice custom barrel, and a worked-over action sitting there. Why not spend the extra $100-200 or so for the Wyatt's setup that way when you do find what COAL your rifle likes (be-it SAAMI or longer), then you will be prepared for it, and glad that you spent that extra money.

Neither of my STW's have the Wyatt's box...But I also shoot mine as single-shots, and don't use the internal magazines.

The only part I don't like about the Wyatt box is milling on my receiver. I'm not a big fan of removing metal from something that houses an explosion. Am I worrying about something minor cause from the Wyatt box page it looked like quite a bit of material had to be removed.

The only part I don't like about the Wyatt box is milling on my receiver. I'm not a big fan of removing metal from something that houses an explosion. Am I worrying about something minor cause from the Wyatt box page it looked like quite a bit of material had to be removed.

Technically, it doesn't house the explosion....Your barrel does, it just happens to be attached to that end of the receiver. :D

You should be fine. There's lots of guys on here who have done this. Unfortunately I have not, therefore I can't say for 100% certainty, but I have never heard anyone saying anything negative, other than complaining about how it costs you more money in gunsmithing fees to have them install it. LOL

My STW started life as a 7mm RM. I do not use the Wyatt's box and run my rounds as long as I can to still fit in the original box. My jump is .230. It's a big jump but after reading through the reloading and brotherhood threads here I wasn't concerned as lots of guys report their STW's liked the jump. Mine is no exception. I'm running the 180 grain VLD's with this jump and it shoots really well. It will shoot well under .5" at 100 if I'm up to it. Those 180's also pack a good punch too. I shot a whitetail at 514 yards over Thanksgiving and it didn't know what hit him. Dropped him in his tracks.

I may go to the Wyatt's someday but with the way my gun shoots now I see no reason to.

Good luck with your build!

I installed my wyatts med. lenght mag box. On mY rem.mag. It was easy just turn it upside down, with a 3/6 carbide end mill cut back to the trigger untill the box fits.Then cut the bolt stop until it will pick up the next shell int mag.I took a dremil and cut the ejection port by hand till the case were thrown clear. A little osspo blue it's ready to shoot. I can shoot coal up to 3.380 but 3.705 works good forME!!! I'm a machinist ,build and drive my 74 vega tube chasie ,,, 69 Z28 Camaro 89 samuria. and I love fast acc. guns

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.