7mm STW Reloading Thread

Just measured my OAL at 3.723. Does that even sound right?
Was going to seat at .015 less than oal to start with, but now not sure. Seems long.
Anybody else have throat that long?

It depends on your rifle. I have a Sendero that I could seat out that long ,but I get much better accuracy seated at 3.610 with a long jump.The longer OAL would not fit the magazine and limit the gun to a single shot.

What is your rifle?

My rifle is sitting on my desk as we speak, I guess my lazy butt could measure it. haha. I just had noticed the 3.600 max for standard stuff and was really curious if my throat seemed longer than normal. Maybe that's just what you get out of factory stuff.
Just measured...It's 3.710 so I guess I know where to start my seating depth.
Thanks for the help guys.

My rifle is sitting on my desk as we speak, I guess my lazy butt could measure it. haha. I just had noticed the 3.600 max for standard stuff and was really curious if my throat seemed longer than normal. Maybe that's just what you get out of factory stuff.
Just measured...It's 3.710 so I guess I know where to start my seating depth.
Thanks for the help guys.

Your throat is probably normal for a Sendero.

I started with mine loaded 10 thou off and what would fit the magazine(3.610).That was when I got better accuracy with the long jump.At that time I didn't crono them,but group size was my goal.I've read alot of other post where this is the case.

My gun is a Remington 700 w/a trued action, 27 1/2" number 3 fluted PacNor barrel, 1-8" twist, with a Defensive Edge muzzlebreak, sitting in a Manners Hi Tech stock bedded and pillared, Jewell trigger set at 1.5lbs, scope is a Leupold LR 4.5-14 VX3 with M1 target turrets. My best load is 72.5gr. of Reloader 22, Fed115 primers, Remington 7mmSTW cases, shooting 180gr. Bergers right at 3100fps. My COAL is 3.68 and thats jumping the lands 120 thousandths. My three shot groups average .250-.368" at 100yds. I normally get 5-6 reloads out of these cases. This is my lightweight long range gun. I also have a 300RUM and a 338Edge.

Have read and heard that guys using 8mm Mag cases are getting more reloads out of their cases as the webbing at the bottom of the cases are thicker. Anybody know if this is true? Have never used anything but Remington 7mmSTW cases but being hard to find I'm looking at making a change. Those in the know, what are the pros and cons of going this route? Thanks guys.

One of my STWs has a lands at 3.99 but it's a win model 70 sobox is 3.61 or so. Still working on load but need to make sure it fits in mag.
I'll try rl22 see if I get better results

using barnes 140 ttsx mine is 3.700, 84.5 grns h1000, 3500 fps in a ruger #1 gave best accur. your type,style bullet (ogive) position ( relative to b/c) may change the numbers. shoot the col that gives you the groups that you want. i tried 4 different col's.

Most STW's like bullet jump and loading an STW in or close to the lands is really Iffy in my book as in pressure spikes I would hold back about 10 if it were me

Hey ButterBean, just curious here. How much bullet jump is too much? I ask because my STW's freebore is 3.829. To seat the bullet to work with my magazine, it would have almost a quarter inch jump. I know I'm losing a lot of velocity seating it back that far and had decided not to use the magazine as a sacrifice for better accuracy until I read your post. I had never heard that before.

Hey ButterBean, just curious here. How much bullet jump is too much? I ask because my STW's freebore is 3.829. To seat the bullet to work with my magazine, it would have almost a quarter inch jump. I know I'm losing a lot of velocity seating it back that far and had decided not to use the magazine as a sacrifice for better accuracy until I read your post. I had never heard that before.
NC just seat it to mag length and dont worry about it ...I know it seems like alot of jump but its no big deal ...What kind of rig are you shooting?

NC just seat it to mag length and dont worry about it ...I know it seems like alot of jump but its no big deal ...What kind of rig are you shooting?

Remington 700 action, custom barrel (unknown twist), HS Precision stock, Timney Trigger, Leupold 4.5-14x40 scope on a DNZ mount. Can't seem to find anything it likes to digest consistently. I've tried RL 22 and H1000 with Nosler CTBT in 140 and 150gn. Just got some RL 25 and some N165 to try now. The barrel will probably be shot out before I ever figure out what it likes:rolleyes: